What's new

JBL Studio Series Speakers... (1 Viewer)

johnny..bon

Second Unit
Real Name
John
No a sub with good bookshelf speakers will sound much better than full range speakers. those floorstanders can't touch the low frequencies the SVS can reach. Setting speakers to small direct all bass below 90hz to the sub and setting it to large will direct bass to the front left & right speakers. For HT IMO its better to get 4 s-36's with a good sub and set everything to small. No way you can mount the s-38's on a wall unless there on a shelf. the s-36's are wall mountable, mine came with the wall mounts however I have all four of my speakers on 31 inch stands. The s-36's have 2 threaded holes on the bottom, so I drilled a hole in the top plate of the stand and a attached it with a screw so its bolted into the stand. It won't fall this way. The s-38 are smooth all around, you pretty much need to put them on stands.

John Doh

Stunt Coordinator
Once again thanks for info. It's funny how when I started on the quest to find the system for me, it has changed about 7 times now!! I am sold on the JBL Studio series speakers and believe I have a solution now. The S-36II's sound like my bag for the fronts and surrounds, the S-Center II for the center to all be complimented by an SVS PB1-ISD sub. Sound good? The 36's will free up $100 for the sub, woohoo!

A little of topic, but in another thread on TV's, I just found out the Sony 40XBR800 (40 incher, 4:3 aspect ratio)line is being discontinued. One guy mentioned it is being replaced by the 910 line, but none of those TVs (all direct views) are over 34". I wanted the mammoth 40 direct view for a larger viewing area, but now need to find a new tube to buy. Any suggestions on a large 16:9 direct view HD tube? Thanks!

MikeMcGrew

Stunt Coordinator
Hey John,
I would highly reccomend auditioning the S36's and the S38's together if at all possible. There is a significant diference in these two speakers. The cabinets of the S38's are much bigger, squared off and made of wood vs. a smaller, plastic eliptical cabinet in the S36's. IMO, both sets of speakers sound great but the two are very diferent. The S36's are very precise with respect to the mids and highs but there simply is not much bass there. The S38's on the other hand are much warmer sounding to me, almost a little too much so. I feel that for me personally, four S38's would sound a little muddy. I actually run S312's up front so the bass response is not really an issue for me but I went through all of this when purchasing my Studio series speakers and yes, I totally used Phil's advice to make my decision (thank's again Phil). My speakers sound better and better the more I use them. All things considered, I would probably go with four S36's and the SVS sub that Phil mentioned. With an S Center II, all of your speakers will match perfectly and the sub will make up for any missing bass. Also, the mountability (get your heads out of the gutter :D ) of the S36's is a nice extra especially where space is a concern. The S38's are some big bookshelves. Best of luck. MM

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
MikeMcGrew wrote: ... yes, I totally used Phil's advice to make my decision (thank's again Phil). My speakers sound better and better the more I use them.
Your Welcome Mike!!! - sounds impressive eh??? Have you experienced the seamless timbre-matched surrounds & LFE dynamic's from Star Trek "Nemesis", or "Daredevil"??? The smooth & wide dispersion provided by JBL 1" Pure Titanium Dome Tweeter & the floor, air, couch, pant-leg, wall moving sub-sonic LFE impacts from my REF Calibrated SVS still impresses all the visiting family / friends that frequent my once or twice a month - Friday NITE DVD Presentations!!! (since 1999) Many have told me that they just had to see the blockbuster movie once again, ... on my HT Setup!!! :D

Phil

John Doh

Stunt Coordinator
Guys, thanks again for the wonderful insight towards my pursuit of a great HT experience!

Phil.. a few days ago I ordered a copy of the Avia software to calibrate the audio and video. Is this a good product? It was recommended by several people in the 'Software' thread. About the Radio Shack Gadget...me not being an audiophile or even close to it, would I know how to work this thing? Does the Avia software explain usage of it within some of the tests? Thanks again!

John

Mark Russ

Second Unit
Phil Iturralde
quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Phil, just curious, but who won the exact same award in 2001, '02, and '03?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't know, but if you're really interested, ... why don't you do some research @ CEA Website or contact them by email.

Thanks, but that's OK. I don't really want to know that bad. I just wondered if maybe you knew right off the top of your head. It's kind of pointless anyway. I mean, the Ravens won a superbowl a few seasons ago, but who really remembers now?

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Mark - Most Speaker MFG's websites will list their Awards (JBL Consumer website doesn't, but their PRO JBL website does), and after looking over CES website, they don't publish an Archive of Past Awards, but I did find this ...
Does the Avia software explain usage of it within some of the tests?
You will get detailed & illustrated instructions on AVIA, and as a reference, read over my CALIBRATION TECHNIQUES webpage using Video Essentials & a camera tripod, ... inspired by Dolby Labs Calibration Process. NOTE: If that webpage is shut down by GeoCities due to too many visitor's, go here, page 1 of 2 and page 2 of 2 (two screen captures of my webpage).

Phil

Mark Hedges

Second Unit
I am using JBL studio series speakers and just upgraded my mains from S36's to S38's. There is definatly much more bass and I think the imaging is a little tighter too. The S38's also do seem a little more laid back but hopefully as I break them in they will open up.

Having said that I think the S36's are good little speakers, particularly for use as surrounds.

Mark

John Doh

Stunt Coordinator
Mark,

Are you using a 5.1/6.1 system? The reason I ask is that one poster mentioned that by setting the front and surround speakers in a 5.1/6.1 system to 'small' the bass is removed from those speakers and is handles by the .1 (sub). However, setting the fronts to 'large' allow the 38's to show their bass capability which sound great for music from what I've heard. I plan to only use my 5.1 for HT, Xbox and TV so is it fair to say that 36's all the way around and an SVS sub handling the bass will give me the same experience as if the fronts were 38's (in 'small' mode allowing only mids and highs to play)? Thanks!

Mark Hedges

Second Unit
I am running a 5.1 system but my sub is kind of a POS so I am running the S38's on Large. I would think that with s36's all around and a quality sub like an SVS you would have a real nice system.

Mark

John Doh

Stunt Coordinator
Cool beans, thanks Mark.

Thanks to everybody who has helped me make what I think to be a very informed decision on my HT purchase. Now comes the hard part, separating myself from the dough!! Take care!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks