JBL Studio Series Speakers...

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by John Doh, Aug 10, 2003.

1. John Doh

John Doh Stunt Coordinator

Does anyone have these and how do you rate them for the 'middle of the road' theater buff? Thanks!

2. Bill_Wil

Bill_Wil Stunt Coordinator

Depends which ones you're looking at. I think the S-310II sound great, especially for the money. The S-38II also sounded very good but being such large bookshelf speakers it might be hard to find good stands for them. I think the JBL Studio Series do an excellent job as home theater speakers. The best prices I've seen for them was at jandr.com
    I think Best Buy has discontinued selling the studio series.

3. Frank Kanyak

Frank Kanyak Stunt Coordinator

I have a S-Series setup for almost 2 years. Still going strong, and believe me I threw everything at my system!!!

4. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

I have the S38IIs in a music-only setup and love them. JBL has a new 'consumer' series coming soon--the E Series, I believe--and it remains to be seen where this series will fit in relation to the N and S Series.

5. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

Where's Phil at?

6. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

Aren't both the S and N series considered consumer products?

7. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Yes, N and S are both consumer series. No idea what the E is. I've been using the S312 and S-Center for about a year and a half now and think they're the bee's knees. The S312 is a bigass speaker though, so make sure you've got the room for it. But surely Phil will be here momentarily to give you The Full Scoop. [​IMG]

8. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

The 'E Series' will be a new mass-market, 'consumer' line, like the Northridge and the Studio Series. I don't have any other specific info on this line yet.

9. Edwin_C

Edwin_C Stunt Coordinator

E Series is called the Northridge E Series. It'll be the same as the northridge, using the same 3/4 inch titanium-laminate tweeter.

2 bookshelf, 3 floor standing, 1 surround, 1 center, 2 subwoofers.

10. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Edwin:

Thanks for helping to clear that up.

11. Helder

Helder Auditioning

In my opinion, for the money you pay, they're very good speakers. For $160, the S26 is fantastic.

12. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

13. John Doh

HOLY CRAP PHIL!!! THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!!!

Ok, enough of the shouting...

That's the kind of info that gets your attention. Although I didn't understand most of the technical stuff, JBL ought to throw you a bird dog fee for selling my white butt. These are the speakers I have chosen to go with, so if you would let me know if they are good choices considering the space they are to be played in. Also, I primarily will be playing movies, TV and Xbox on the setup.

S-Center II for the center channel
    S-38 II's for the front speakers
    S-36 II's for the surrounds (2)
    S-120P II 12" Subwoofer

This setup is planned to go into a 12' x 13' room with carpet. The TV is a Sony 40XBR800, Kenwood VR-7080 Tuner, Sony SLV-500P DVD/VCR Combo w/progressive-scan.

Now keep in mind this is my first HT setup and am not going for the very best in components, but am aiming for a great experience. What do yuo think of the speaker choices? Thanks!!

14. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

15. Mark Russ

Mark Russ Second Unit

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "-and we are extremely gratified the CEA has recognized our design efforts, by bestowing its coveted Innovations 2000 Design and Engineering Award to JBL's Studio Series S38 and S412P loudspeakers.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Phil, just curious, but who won the exact same award in 2001, '02, and '03?

16. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

John,

I have a 5.1 setup witht he following parameters:

* JBL S-center II
    * 4 JBL S36 AW
    * Couple of modified Sony SW-40s for subs
    * 165 watts ch through pre and amp.
    * room size 25' x 18' (guessing here...)

The speakers fill this room very nicely. You should have no problems in a 12' x 13' room, I hope your family can sleep through regular earthquakes [​IMG]

17. ChrisChap

ChrisChap Stunt Coordinator

I just picked up 2 S38II's to replace my old N26 mains for $179.00!

I still need to upgrade the center and surrounds, but that was too good a deal to pass up. They were floor models with a few small scratches on the bottom, which will be concealed by my stands.

18. John Doh

Joe Szott,

You bring up a great question I had that hasn't been asked yet. I decided on the S38II's off of a recommendation from another poster a few weeks back. Being your room is much larger than mine, would the S36II's do just as good a job as the S38II's given my room size? Mounting the S38II's was going to be a task (figured up in my head) because I don't actually have bookshelfs and didn't want to use stands. I want to wall mount the fronts and surrounds. So will the S36II's do just as good for me as the S38II's? I'm sure the 38's are a bit more powerful and all but I never turn the volume up past halfway. If the actual sound quality is the roughly the same as the 38's, I would rather go will the wall mountable 36's. Also, I got a quick look at some 36's at Best Buy last month and it seemed they don't have the standard screw-in type wall mount device installed in the speaker. How do you have your mounted? Thanks!!

$$ saved on the 38's might allow me to buy the SVS sub!!!!!

19. johnny..bon

johnny..bon Second Unit

John
    John,
    I have S-38's in front and S-36's as surrounds. The s-36's are more sensitive and play louder. I feel they are better HT speakers but the s-38's are better for music. If you set the s-38 to large they really sound good as they do bass much better than the s-36. the s-38 has a more 3D sound. I also have the SVS 25-31PCI(22hz tune) and I don't think there is much difference between the 2 speakers in HT applications, unless you listen to alot of music.

20. John Doh

Thanks for the reply, Johnny.

I am looking for a full sound range home theater experience with my new system. I'm not sure what setting the fronts to "Large" means (Imma newbie) but is this something that it done normally for HT viewing when you already have a sub as potent as an SVS? Also, are you saying that the SVS mentioned and the S120PII sound pretty much the same? Do you have your 38's wall mounted? 36's? Thanks!