JBL or Jamo?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eric_cole, Sep 22, 2002.

1. Eric_cole

Eric_cole Auditioning

Sep 22, 2002
    I am looking into purchasing an entry level(compared to most of the forum posters) Surround Sound set up for my 51 widesceen sony. I am hoping that you can post your thoughts on the speakers that I am considering

Option 1
    All JBL Northridge
    2 N26 bookshelfs for rears
    2 Towers for the front (I purchased them a few years back, they might be " ARC" model. Im unsure though)
    and a 10 inch JBL Sub

A Joma setup that is at my local sony store for $950 (canadian that is)
    E4 cen
    E410 for fronts
    E4 sur for rears
    and an 8 inch Joma sub (its part of the E series)

The setup will be for 80 % hometheater, 20 % music

Any help or other suggestions would be great,
    My current reciever is a Sony STR- DE685
    Thanks in advance
  2. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Supporting Actor

May 27, 2002
    I have audition the Northbridge series from JBL, and it is very good for the money. The only thing that I will do if you want towers is to check the N38.

I cant speak about JOMA because I have never audition them, but I think with JBL you cant go wrong, very good speaker for the money.
  3. Mike__D

Mike__D Supporting Actor

Dec 27, 2000
    You'll want to match your fronts and center. Even though your towers are JBL, they might not match the N-center well.

I have JBL N series and love them. Never heard JOMA's before.

Mike D.
  4. Rob Rodier

Rob Rodier Supporting Actor

Jul 11, 2002
    Jamo, the subject heading spelled it right. (Pronounced yeah-moe)

Danish company that makes a wide array of speakers from budget to ultra exotic.

I had a couple of different pairs from the Cornet line a few years back which retailed for $500 and $250 and enjoyed them. They were well suited for rock and ht. I have not heard any of their more expensive systems, but the cheaper stuff was always good. Kind forward sounding with lots of bass. Efficient but 6ohms. Unfortunatly, I have no idea how the Cornet line compares with the speakers you are considering.

They can only be found at "better" retailers.

They are a good company that has been around for a while.