What's new

Beginner Seeks advice Basement Build (1 Viewer)

ezonebroker

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
I have a basement room that is 17'X25' with a Trey Ceiling that is 8' to trey and a little over 9'. My equipment that I have now is and Harmon / Kardon AVR2600, Jamo 5.0 entry level and a 10year old 100watt self powered JBL subwoofer. Also, Dish Network, Apple TV, and an Xbox that I have used maybe 5 times. Further, I just bought an LG BluRay player, my first one.

Because I have a trey ceiling I am running into set up issues in many areas. My seating area before the two metal support polls is 11' to 17'4" with the future plan of a bar behind that with some stools for extra seating during football games. At first I am starting with just 3 theater recliners and then if I have room, 3 more elevated behind and then the bar behind that. Lastly the fridge and a small kitchen area on the back wall. I have never had a home theater projector, so I am flying blind.

Advice on the follow would be most appreciated:

* Is it ok to just use regular speaker wire that is 12 awg. the chase and some wood studs or do I really need in wall wire?

* Would I only need a power receptacle and an HDMI routed to the projector? Should I use the DataCom or something else for projector in ceiling?
http://www.amazon.com/DataComm-45-0021-WH-Recessed-Voltage-Cable/dp/B001C4EAL8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1371219208&sr=8-3&keywords=home+theater+plate+datacom

*Which of these projectors would work best for that size room, for watching college football, hockey and movies? I guess buying a projector ahead of finishing helps in determining where to a connection in the ceiling?

Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 8350
Mitsubishi HC4000
BenQ W1070
ViewSonic Pro 8300
Any other suggestions?

*What screen would be a good match? size? color? gain? I am pretty good at DIY so that is not out of the question if decent quality can truly there in a DIY screen.

*Is this sufficient behind the receiver? What works best for the receiver and for speakers if I go with all wall mounted instead of inwall?

http://www.amazon.com/Vanco-HTWP72BW-Whole-House-Theater/dp/B001702I1Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1371219372&sr=8-1&keywords=home+theater+plate

*Suggestions some decent in wall speakers for my the side and rear speakers? Or should I try to avoid that?

*The AVR 2600 allows for a 7.1 system, but I don't know if I should place the rears all the way on the back wall?

*Have you found it a pain your equipment all put in a utility closet, I have that option under the stairs?

*What have you found to be good sound deadening insulation to put in the ceilings and walls under the sheetrock?

*I would like to make this upgradeable in the future, so I am trying to avoid the mistakes upfront...

Attached are some pictures with the hopes that I might get some suggestions on what to do and buy next to get this thing up and running.

Thanks in advance,

Attachments

• IMG_0940.JPG
    IMG_0940.JPG
    139.2 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_0941.JPG
    IMG_0941.JPG
    141.9 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0942.JPG
    IMG_0942.JPG
    128.3 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0944.JPG
    IMG_0944.JPG
    150.8 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_0945.JPG
    IMG_0945.JPG
    150.8 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_0950.JPG
    IMG_0950.JPG
    123.4 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0954.JPG
    IMG_0954.JPG
    151.3 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0955.JPG
    IMG_0955.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_0956.JPG
    IMG_0956.JPG
    121.1 KB · Views: 89

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Yes, if the wire is "in the wall" you must use in-wall wire, period.There are many different wall plates. If that one works for you, great.As for projector. Where is your seating? Before the 8 feet, or after?ProjectorCentral has a "how to make a painted $100 wall" article that you should find. Using my phone, can't copy/paste.You should also use PC's calculator. We can't tell you what projector to use unless we know seating(for size of screen) and where you are putting the projector. Will it needs lens shift?How bright? All things you'll figure out with the calculator.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
As for speaker placement(forgot to mention it)...That also depends on seating.You could use the trey poles to mount your 4/5 or 6/7...depending on your seating.Why would you want to do that? Rotating speaker mounts. When having a non-movie event downstairs, those speakers can be spun to provide sound for the bar.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks