What's new

Comments and suggestions on my home theater system idea (1 Viewer)

JDevenberg

Grip
Real Name
James Devenberg
I am going to set up my first home theater. I want some input on my ideas. So I have two options. Piece together my own set or buy a speaker package. For my piece together option, here is what I have come up with: Sony SS-F7000 Towers (Left and Right channels) Polk Audio CS10 (center channel) Polk Audio PSW10 (Subwoofer) Sony SS-B1000 Bookshelfs (Surround L&R) And all driven by either the Sony STRDH520 or Onkyo TX-SR309 for the receiver. Possible changes to this system would be going with the SS-F6000 towers instead of the 7000 OR switching the Polk Audio CS10 with the Sony SS-CN5000 to free up a bit of money so I can upgrade the subwoofer from the PSW10 to the BIC America F12. Another assemble my own system option is: Pioneer SP-C21 center Pioneer SP-BS21LR (front L&R) Bic America DV32B (surround L&R) Bic AMerica F12 Sub Same Sony or Onkyo receivers as above. The option for the buy a speaker set and receiver option are this JBL 5.1 set paired with this Pioneer Elite receiver from Costco for $599. A fourth possible option is the Jamo S506 paired with the Jamo 210W subwoofer with the same receiver choices as the first set. Any thoughts? I'm for sure open to suggestions on other speakers or receivers, but the total for the system has to be under $650. I can't go over even a little bit.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
First, you really want the center speaker to be from the same brand ans series as the fronts. This is pretty important so the audio sounds the same in the entire front of the room. Not as important for the surrounds unless you listen to a lot of surround sound music. The sub doesn't have to match the other speakers. Also skip on the Polk PSW10. Wait to save up a little more money if need be for the BIC. I'm not a big fan of sub-satillite speakers. The drivers are just too small. But they can sound decent enough if set up properly. The Pioneer and Jamo speakers are the best you have mentioned as they are all from the same brand. The Sony speakers aren't bad for what they are but you're giving up sound quality for impact. I don't know anything about the Jamo subs you've mentioned but the BIC is real good for that price. Forget the Sony receiver and opt for the Onkyo. The 509 is a worthy up-grade as it includes the Audyssey room correction feature. Ac4l.com has the 509 for $249 as a factory refurb. Check out their site for more options. http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKTXNR509/Onkyo-TX-NR509-5.1-Channel-3-D-Ready-Network-A/V-Receiver/1.html So, I'd go with the Jamo or Pioneer speakers, Bic sub and the 509 (or 309 if it's all the budget will allow). Just my opinion of course.

JDevenberg

Grip
Real Name
James Devenberg
So I have found two speakers lying around that I am going to use as my satellites. So my choices now are a Onkyo TX-NR509 with the pioneers and a F12 or the Sony's with a matching center, and surrounds with the 509 as a 5.0 setup.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The 509/Pioneers/F12 would be a nice system. Go to BestBuy and listen to them if you can. I'd pass on the Sony's, especially without a sub. But again, JMO. And they aren't your only choices. Polk Monitors from Newegg.com: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007058%2050012345&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&SrchInDesc=Monitors&Page=1&PageSize=100 Fluance: http://www.fluance.com/allproducts.html Boston: http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/details/544779013/boston-acoustics-cs2310b And many more that I can't think of right now. But the 509/Pioneer/BIC should be prety nice if you like the way the speakers sound.

JDevenberg

Grip
Real Name
James Devenberg
I have heard the Pioneers in a 3.1 set up (albeit with a weak 8" Pioneer sub) and liked them. I'm just so torn on what to do lol. I just need someone to tell me "this is the best 5.1 set up for $650" at this point haha. I was looking at Fluance as well. They have an Ebay store where you can get some of their stuff at auction for a fraction what they sell it for. I like the sound of Boston speakers, but I'm kind eh on buying a 5.1 system like that cause I have been underwhelmed by the subs that come with them.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Well, as I've said before, no system at any price is a good value if you don't like the way it sounds. I agree about the subs being the weak link in speaker/subwoofer packages, including the Onkyo HT-540 http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKSKSHT540/Onkyo-SKS-HT540-7.1-channel-Home-Theater-Speaker-System/1.html The only real bad point on the Pioneer speakers is the 85-86 SPL rating. They will require a little bit more power than most other speakers in their price range. The 309 might not be a good match for those speakers. Last years Onkyo 508 might work for you and put you closer to the budget. http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKTXSR508/Onkyo-TX-SR508-7.1-Channel-3-D-Ready-Home-Theater-Receiver/1.html $650 is a tough price point. It's just above the basic Onkyo receiver/speaker/subwoofer packages and/or marginal speakers/subwoofers and just below a good separates based system. The Onkyo 9300 factory refurb has a real good receiver ( video up-conversion, Audyssey, strong amp section-basically a 608). The speaker are fairly decent. Bwtter than any others in Onkyo's line-up, and not too much below the Pioneers. The 12" sub is maybe 80% what the BIC is(?). Nothing to get too excited about but nothing severly lacking either. The Pioneer speakers will mean the 309 (weaker amp, no Audyssey), a weaker sub (Partsexpress.com?) or a higher budget. Those are larger compromises than the 9300. I'm not saying get the 9300. But maybe just a little more window shopping or thought analysis before you pull the trigger.

JDevenberg

Grip
Real Name
James Devenberg
where would one find a 9300 factory refurb? Do you by chance mean the 7300? I'm seeing the 9300 listed for quite a bit more than $650

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Ac4l.com http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKHTS9300THX/Onkyo-Ht-s9300THX-THX-Certified-7.1-Ch-Home-Theater-Receiver/Speaker-Package/1.html As I understand it THX helped design the speaker package to make sure it fell within specification, not that it means anything.

bud659

Agent
Real Name
keith
i think this is tough price point like Gene said. I have a post in this section from a few days ago and currently looking at making my own system vs. a HTib around the $600-$650 range myself. Refurbs and used are OK since I plan to use only a few hours a week. I at least have a chosen receiver as a contender and currently looking for sub and speakers - but this could have all changed since reading the above link for the 9300 refurbed looks like a nice package. it sure is a difficult decision and price range to decide between the Htib and components.

JDevenberg

Grip
Real Name
James Devenberg
Well I have bought my speakers. Went with Polk Audio Monitors. Got monitor40's for the front and 30's for the surrounds with a cs1 center channel. Now I need to decide on my receiver and sub. Sub choices are all BIC America: F12, V1220, or V1020. Receiver is between two of last year's Pioneers (VSX-520 or 820) and the Onkyo TX-SR508. Any input?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I get the impression the V1220 is designed more for maximum output and the F-12 more for maximum extension, aka: lowest frequencies. So, I guess it depends on your priorities. This is all "for the price" of course. I've said this so much, I'm sure people are getting tired, but I do think maybe the budget winner right now is the Marantz SR5004 refurb from ac4less.com for $330.

JDevenberg

Grip
Real Name
James Devenberg
I have a firm budget of $200 shipped. I thought the V1220 was rated at lower frequencies than the F12?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Pass on the 520 unless you totally run out of money. To me it's between the 508 and 820 and I'd say the Onkyo 508. It's a 7.1 receiver with Zone 2. I also think that, even though the amp sections are rated near the same, the Onkyo will be a bit stronger. Audyssey 2eq, with Dynamic Volume and EQ is another plus but the 820's basic MCACC should also effective. You also get a two year warranty with Onkyo (one year on the factory refurbs). Onkyo also has quad crossover adjustment vs a single setting with the Pioneer but with your speakers it wouldn't be as much of an issue. On the BIC subs, also look at the warranties. I think one is 7 years/ 2 on the amp and the other is 5 years complete. 5 years on a sub amp is pretty good. And yes, the Marantz refurbs are a great deal if you have the funds. Vanns also has some decent scratch-and-dent deals like the Denon 2311 and Yamaha 867 but also a bit out of his budget. And you never tire of a good deal. Marantz and Onkyo refurbs, BIC subs, Polk Monitors...what else is there?

JDevenberg

Grip
Real Name
James Devenberg
I think I will got with the 508. It is the most expensive of the three but if it is clearly the best then I want it. This helps me narrow my sub search too as I have a very strict budget that cannot afford both the 508 and the F12. So it will be the 508 with the V1220. Unless anyone has any thoughts on Dayton SUB-120 or the Alison AL10 found at Parts Express

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Not a sub expert by any means but I would think either BIC would be at least a bit better than the Dayton. The Alison AL10 (and the SB-1000) is an HSU knock-off so it's a pretty decent sub too. In fact, I have the near identicle Dayton HSU-10 from a couple of years ago. I'm very happy with it as it serves my purpose perfectly. My brother has the V1220 and it's a stout performer as well. With it's 12" driver and larger amp I would think it would have a higher outut level. The AL10 would be a nice choice in an apartment with smaller room. The down-side of the V1220 is it's kinda ugly. And again, check the warranty before you buy. it can vary from sub to sub and retailer to retailer.

JDevenberg

Grip
Real Name
James Devenberg
Since you have heard the Dayton HSU-10 (which I have also heard is the same as the AL10) and the V1220, which would you take? Which will go lower? Which has better sound? At this point I am more concerned with quality of bass than quantity of bass. In other words I'd rather have a sub that produces less bass but at a higher sound quality than a sub that produces lots of poor quality bass.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The V1220 would play louder and a little deeper but I think the Dayton HSU-10 would be considerd more accurate and maybe hit a little harder. The V 1220 is perfect for my brother. Loud, deep, large room, movies more than music. He likes the sub to dominate. For me it's lower volume in a smaller room, music first and I like the sub to fill in the bottom end while mostly going un-noticed. I would have a hard time recommending the AL10 over the V1220. On paper the V1220 has everything going for it. Deeper, louder, bigger amp, bigger driver, better warranty (probably), better known. But in certain instances it might be the better choice. But I really don't feel qualified to recommend one sub over another. Subs just aren't my thing. I usually go by value and reputation in the lower end of the market. I let the other guys handle the real subwoofer questions.

JDevenberg

Grip
Real Name
James Devenberg
I would say my room is small to mid size. I just measured and it is 12x15, but it opens to a hall way and has 4' or so wide opening to the dining room. Because of that, maybe the V1220 would be the better choice to fill my room even though I'd rather have the more accurate sound and harder hits. I'm just worried a 10" won't fill my room.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks