What's new

JBL Klipsch Infinity (1 Viewer)

StuartRob

Auditioning
My wife is 'buying' me new speakers for my birthday. The old speakers are Infinity rs325's which still sound good, but I haven't really looked into new speakers since I bought them 10 years ago. I went to best buy and auditioned the JBL E80's and Kilpsch SF-2's I liked both of them and am having a hard time deciding what to do. I have about $1200 to spend and am trying to figure out the best configuration. I was thinking JBL E80's or 90's for fronts E30's for rears and the ec35 for the center until I saw all the rave reviews for svs subs, which would put me over budget. The E250p seemed like a decent sub, but since this is probably the last time I'll get to buy speaker for a long time I want to get something that I will not regret. I can probably stretch the budget if necessary. I haven't been to involved in my system for a long time and don't really know what's out there and so any help would be appreciated.
The system will go in a large (30x15) room with an Adcom pre-amp and amp (5.1)

Brian Elwood

Stunt Coordinator
The only think I can add is when I demo'd Kilpsch they sounded rather tinnie for music. What are you using the speakers for 50/50 movies/music? 20/80?

BTW - the rave reviews for SVS are 100% warranted and I would skim off a little on speakers to get an SVS. Reason is that you will need less base in the speakers - HOWEVER.

although I've CERTAINLY not an expert myself

If you went with the E80s ($300?) and the E30s ($180?) you could get the new SVS coming out ($400?) with ease.

OR - move your current Infinity's to the back for surrounds - buy some BETTER fronts and get a bigger SVS (just thinking out loud) ;) .

As you can - like a moth drawn to light I have fallen in love with my SVS.

also - the E250p is about $475? hmmmmm there is a $400 SVS coming out later this month I think.!

Don't forget to tell your wife you love her VERY much.

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
The E250 can be had for $200 at Deal-Stop. The EC35 can be had for 169 delivered from there as well. I have JBL S38II's, EC35, N26's, N24's, and a Dayton 10" sub. I paid $725 delivered. MSRP is $1,700. Look at Deal-Stop, J&R, etc.

StuartRob

Auditioning
It's hard to say how much the system will be used and for what purpose. I am guessing that it would be more T.V./movies than music, but the room is unfinished and in the basement and so it might end up completely different than the current plan. At bestpriceaudio.com the jbls are $180 each for e80's, $240 each for e90's and the e250p is $215. I want the svs sub but I also don't want front speakers that will sound small just so that I can get a better sub. I wouldn't mind using the Infinitys for rears but since I'm married I think it would work out better to have all of the speakers match.

Stu

cabreau

Second Unit
Get an SVS if you can get it for $400. Take the rest of your money and you could get a decent Paradigm surround setup. 4 - Atoms, and a CC-170 sound great and it should run you about $800-900 for all five speakers. NOT BAD. I've owned those exact speakers and loved them. When I upgraded to 7.1, I put my Atoms in back for surround duty and now have the Studio 20's in the front with a CC-470 for the center.

StuartRob

Auditioning
Thanks for the advice. I haven't listened to paradigm and so I'll try to find some here in UT. I think I can manage to get an svs-pc25-31 or 20-39 and still have $1000 or so for the rest of the speakers. Just need to shmooze a little.

mackie

Supporting Actor
I don't know best buy's return policy on speakers, but I recommend trying out what you want to buy at home before purchasing. I owned Klipsch speakers - ksf 8.5 - in the past and loved'em until I moved into my home. They liked the smaller room in my apartment better than the family room in my house. They weren't at all small sounding.

Paul.G

Agent
I can't say anything about Kilpsch since I've never owned anything from them... but I love my JBL E90's! I also have a center similar to the EC35 (the S-Center II) and I can't say enough good things about it. I got it like two years ago for something like $130 and it sounds awesome in movies.

I would say go with them, and surrounds, and the new SVS cube sub coming out at the end of the month!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks