What's new

Is there a more brilliant receiver/home theatre unit in the $500 range? (1 Viewer)

MichaelCr

Auditioning
Hi, I've been reading a few comments from some of you on the Panasonic, Harmon Kardon, Denon, Sony...etc home theatre receivers. I appreciate the comments.

I'm looking to change my 5.1 home theatre (Sony) set up to a 7.1. I also want to change the speakers from standing speakers (JBL - front), (Boze 401's) on the back to Satellites.

Do you have any idea if any of the units (receiver/amps)have more "brilliance" (treble)? (Preferably around $500 or less.) I am a little hard of hearing in the upper range and the way I compensated in the past was to buy additional tweeters and set them on top of the speakers (Radio Shack sold an add on stand up tweeter.)

I have also heard that out of the satellite systems available,Infinity (Tss 450, 750 or Modulus) has about the most treble or brilliant upper range. (Compared with Klipsch, Polk Audio, JBL, etc...)

Again, I am not looking for a "flat" response as many audiophiles recommend. I am looking for a lot of treble at a low volume with the speakers and amplifier.

Thank you!;)

Doug_

Stunt Coordinator
You may want to look into Yamaha receivers. I used to own several and did not think so, but many people describe them as bright (trebly). For speakers, you may want to look at Klipsch as the horn tweeters provide nice crisp highs.

MichaelCr

Auditioning
Doug, thank you for the comment, I probably will try to listen to Yamaha before I make a decision.

You know the difficulty with finding the right audio system for your home is that we should really buy them and take them home to compare them - that's the best way to find what out how they sound.:D

Doug_

Stunt Coordinator
If you find a good local dealer, they should allow you to do just that, take the unit home and listen to it in your own environment. It is the only way you can truly decide what sounds best. Internet companies such as Outlaw will lwt you try a product for 30 days in your own home, but if you decide to send it back you will be responsible for shipping which is usually negligible.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.