What's new

James Cameron's "Ghosts Of The Abyss" Mini-Review (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
O.K. first things first:

I think it sucks that Ghosts Of The Abyss isn't being presented in 3D as it was in theaters.

There's even an opening "warning" that this 90 minute extended 2D version is significantly altered from the 3D version that was in theaters. Many shots have been recomposited from 3D to 2D.

The original 60 minute theatrical version is intact though, nothing has been re-composited and apparently the only modification is that it is now 2D.

I personally wasn't that impressed with the IMAX 3D presentation, but I still feel as though it should have been offered here. Oh well.

There are two versions of the film on this 2 disc DVD. Disc one contains the 60 minute original theatrical feature and the 90 minute extended feature.

Both are offered in the original AR of 1.78:1 enhanced for widescreen televisions.

I watched all of the extended theatrical version and the original 60 minute version and they both look fantastic. I am watching it on a properly calibrated 65" SONY 16x9 set. It may not be as big as an IMAX screen, but it does the job nicely. I didn't notice any flaws. They both looked great to these non professional eyes. Crystal clear.

The sound is DD 5.1 and is, as expected, terrific. Plenty of surround effects and some frequent Lfe "oomph" moments.

The extended versions contains many extended scenes with additional footage such as of the fireman's mess, life aboard the Keldysh research vessel, the breakdown and rescue of Jake and Elwood, creatures of the Titanic, just to name a few.

Disc 2 contains fascinating, but rather slim extras. 2 documentaries, both Non-Anamorphic.

"Reflections From The Deep" runs 36 minutes and is broken up into a few parts.

It covers, among other things:

1.The visual effect aspect of how they superimposed the "ghost" images over the real footage of the Titanic.
2.Bill Paxtons real fear of diving to the wreck.
3.The story of the "bots" Jake and Elwood and their near disaster.
4.The effects that 9/11 had on everyone while they were filming.

"The Mir Experience" runs about 53 minutes* and is a interactive multi angle feature.

What this cool extra allows you to do is choose the footage you want to see from six cameras on one of the dives to the Titanic. Actually, the one where Jake, or is it Elwood, has a system crash.
*The total run time is actually about 9 minutes, so times that by 6 and there you get that 53 minute run time.

The film itself is a fascinating examination of what the Titanic looks like today. James Cameron and his crew along with actor and Titanic star Bill Paxton go deeper into the Titanic than anyone ever has before and virtually maps every square inch of her. The bots Jake and Elwood steal the show!

If you are a huge fan of James Cameron's Titanic, this amazing film makes a great companion piece to the epic film.

Highly Recommended:emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup:

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
I'm glad it's 16x9 annie, but isn't IMAX like 4x3...?
Saw it last year but couldn't remember...

:) D

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
The IMAX AR is 1.44:1. Ghosts Of The Abyss was shown in 1.78:1, letterboxed within the IMAX 1.44 frame.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Yes, thanx Tino.

Mine on tuesday. I won't miss the 3-d so much as my left eye doesn't really work but I know some are disappointed.
Long version is a must and extras sound good.
Too bad we're still waiting on the "Titanic" SE, and that had BETTER rock. Seamless branching to the longer cut with say, The Strausses and other scenes would be cool.
And please, Mr. Blythe... The original DVD is still the best looking non-annie transfer ever, even besting many current Annie transfers. 1 of the reasons.... NO EE...!!!
Please, no Damned EE on the SE...!
Ok, tangenty-rant over.

:) D

Runar_R

Second Unit
It does sound interesting. Too bad they dropped the 3-d. All the more annoying since there is a japanese edition coming out WITH the 3-D....

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
INTERESTING..... and I AM region free... Hmmmm
How many pairs of glasses come with, I wonder. And how does it look in 3D and without glasses???

D

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member

Due to the improper 3:2 "flagging" on the Titanic transfer, I still feel as though Armageddon has the best non-anamorphic Widescreen transfer.

Cases could also be made for the first release of the original Planet of the Apes movie and The Abyss, which is also a James Cameron film.

It's really a shame, though, that any of these titles were ever released non-anamorphic to begin with.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I just ordered the R1 DVD but am now
thinking about cancelling that order in
favor of the Japanese 3D edition.

Why this wasn't released here in R1
as a 3D package is beyond me. Very sad.

CraigL

Screenwriter
Question about the Japanese...

Is the only way to watch it in 3D? That might get annoying for every watch, no?

DanC

Stunt Coordinator
Tino, thanks for the mini-review. We checked out the Titanic artifact exhibit in Birmingham yesterday (everyone should check this out if it's in your area) so this is definitely peaking my interest again. I say again because we saw it theatrically and weren't all that impressed. However, that 90 minute cut does sound tempting.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Thanks guys. I have added additional comments to my first post since I have completed going through both discs.

The extended cut is definitely superior to the shorter cut since it really adds so much more to the experience and doesn't feel somewhat abrupt, imo.

The extras are pretty slim, but cool. Anyway, I always buy a film for the film, and Ghosts Of The Abyss is tranferred and represented beautifully here, so no complaints from this huge Titanic fan.;)

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
If this had been released with the 3D version intact, I would have picked it up. Instead, I might rent it on Netflix.

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
I might want to see this because I'm just waiting for the next movie from james cameron. I respect teh fact he likes doing some documentaries at the moment, but I want to see the next movie from him soon.

Ghosts of the Abyss sounds like an interesting DVD to get.

Manendra

Stunt Coordinator
Was this movie shot on FILM or VIDEO?

Neither my Bravo D1 nor my Pioneer DV-47Ai is very good at de-interlacing VIDEO-based material.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
also to add to thast japanese release.

Audio Track :
English: Dolby Digital 5.1ch
English: DTS 5.1ch
Japanese: 5.1ch

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks