Jack Ryan on Amazon Prime (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Another thing I didn't like is
that they killed off Matice, he was one of my favorite characters on this show.
As I'm watching sporting events and seeing those Bud Light commercials, it cracks me up thinking of that actor playing such a different character in Jack Ryan.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I'm one episode away from finishing Season 2, and it's a good enough season, but so far from the heights of Season 1, which was excellent. One of the great things about Tom Clancy was that he portrayed things in the US government and US military as they might actually happen. Nothing in this show is realistic or believable. Jack Ryan would have been arrested and charged with a variety of crimes by his own government if he did what the character did in this season.

This is yet another show that has resorted to having the characters go rogue and act outside their authority. And of course, it's personal for Jack, since his friend was the one murdered. That's such a cliche at this point, and it's everything that's been wrong with the James Bond series for the past 30 years (since Licence To Kill made Bond a rogue who seeks revenge for personal reasons). Also, I find the characterization of Jack to be off. He's not a field agent; he's someone uncomfortable in the field. Even Harrison Ford, playing him as an older guy, was more comfortable in an office than in the field. Krasinski's Jack pulls out machine guns with ease, and stares down dictators.

I hope they can right the ship for Season 3 or else this will be another failed series.

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
My wife and I watched both seasons back to back recently. Neither really stood out to me but it was a passable series. I did think that the second season reminded me a lot of Clear and Present Danger. You can substitute the Venezuelan leadership with the cartel and it's a very similar story. The last episode or so would have caused an international uproar and probably landed all the protagonists in Federal prison.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Watched the season 2 finale, and while I can’t quibble with the action, the episode had an absolutely stunning lack of realism. Realism was always the hallmark of the Clancy books, and the creative team behind this season was the same as last, so I have no idea where season 2 went wrong.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
I read this somewhere on the interwebs;

Jack Ryan is Jim living out Dwight's wildest fantasies!

LOL

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
With the pandemic times, I've been catching up on a bunch of shows, I binged both seasons this weekend. It's basically junk food at this point. It's Jack Ryan in name only, this version is too far from the source material for me, so it's tough to watch this incarnation. The plot just strains credulity far too much. If there's a season 3, may have to wait for the next pandemic to catch up with it.

Plus, I miss not having John Clark and Ding in on the action. :)

Ashly Yeo

Stunt Coordinator
Season 3 dropped today and episode 2 has some serious audio sync problem on Roku and LG. Anyone still watching this series?

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Dropping a show this close to the holidays is very difficult for a lot of people. I doubt I will have time to watch until into the new year.

There are two periods of time when I think it's a bad idea to debut new shows: August, because most of the world is on vacation and/or going back to school, and the second half of December, when everyone is busy with the holidays. Releasing a movie in December works - and often works fabulously well - but a streaming show requires 8-10 hours of viewing and most people just don't have that at this time of year.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Dropping a show this close to the holidays is very difficult for a lot of people. I doubt I will have time to watch until into the new year.

There are two periods of time when I think it's a bad idea to debut new shows: August, because most of the world is on vacation and/or going back to school, and the second half of December, when everyone is busy with the holidays. Releasing a movie in December works - and often works fabulously well - but a streaming show requires 8-10 hours of viewing and most people just don't have that at this time of year.
1st few weeks of December is bad yes but I like having shows to watch during Christmas week when I have extra days off. I can watch more than I normally would. But I never watch more than 1 episode a day of any show and usually only 1 a week so I don't have that time issue.

Ashly Yeo

Stunt Coordinator
Looks the audio sync problem for season 3 was isolated to just last night (day of release). There are only 8 episodes this season so it would fit nicely for an episode per day for Christmas week 😁

Mark_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark
Just started Season 3 and noticed that it is not in Atmos. Is anybody else seeing it in Atmos? I'm worried I have a wrong setting. I am selecting the UHD , but the Audio option only shows Dolby and Stereo.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Finally got around to bingeing all three extant seasons. I thought S1 was terrific, and unlike some, I liked S2 even more (albeit just slightly). I liked the fact that Ryan was portrayed more as the analyst that he's supposed to be, and not an action hero.

Then came S3, which I wasn't as happy with. I haven't checked, but I suspect the show had new show-runners for this season. Firstly, Ryan is closer to an action-hero character in S3. I also think that -- tempting as it must be to allude to current events -- it's a little too soon to be dealing with Russia/Ukraine and the possibility of a Russia/NATO conflict. (Yes, I realize that the season was filmed before Russia invaded Ukraine, but it still comes off feeling like a reaction to the R/U war).

Most of all, however, I was disappointed by a change in a specific production element. One of the things that I really (really) liked about the first two seasons was in the use of foreign language. In most productions of this sort, it's typical for foreign characters to start off speaking in their own language for a few exchanges, and then switch to English. Here, though, such characters kept the use of their own language. So, in S1, when Suleiman talks with his brother, or wife, or children, it's all in Arabic. Or when the French security people talk to each other, it's all in French. In S2, the German characters speak German to each other, and all the Venezuelans speak Spanish to each other.

In S3, that's completely abandoned. Everyone speaks English all the time. Czechs speak English to each other, Russians speak English to each other. I'm sure most people don't care, but for me, it's, as I said, disappointing that they did away with something that set this show apart from others like it.

Last edited:

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
I loved season 1. It had visceral excitement and intellectual excitement as we saw Jack as expert analyst and learning to become a field operative. Greer was a great teacher. Jack also had to navigate a personal relationship. There was depth and a character arc. There was also a great villain, and sympathy for the plight of the villain's wife.

Season 2 fell flat for me. No visceral excitement, Greer was wasted, I could care less about the Venezuelan woman, and there was no character arc.

I found season 3 decent, but still nowhere close to season 1. There was more visceral excitement with the threat of a nuclear detonation, but the intelligence aspect was weak to me. Serviceable, but weak. And as for Ryan, his analysis is always right, and he is an expert field agent. He is too perfect, and honestly a bit boring. Krasinski didn't do much other than look worried a lot. No subplots or such to engage or potentially trip him up. And I didn't have much sympathy for the main villain. On the plus side, I liked Greer a lot more this season than last. Also, this season was briskly paced and flew by. Not great, not horrible. Just seems like it could be a lot better by adding just a little more depth to the writing.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I found season three to be the most enthralling for me. I was hooked early on and found its grip tightening as I moved through the episodes. I'm glad we're going to get one more season.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint

Vacation: What is that???
Holidays: What are those???

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I only ask those questions in jest because I’m my line of work, we are blacked out from taking any time off from the 2nd week of December through the 2nd week of January. We’re off Christmas Day and New Years Day and that’s it. In fact, I’ve honestly never had “Christmas week vacation” since I was in high school.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks