What's new

Jack Ryan on Amazon Prime (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I never saw "13 Hours", Robert. The line "A Michael Bay film" scares me away almost every time. ;)

The only other thing I've seen Kracinski in other than The Office is the recent film "A Quiet Place", and I kept thinking of him as Jim Halpert in that one, too.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I never saw "13 Hours", Robert. The line "A Michael Bay film" scares me away almost every time. ;)

The only other thing I've seen Kracinski in other than The Office is the recent film "A Quiet Place", and I kept thinking of him as Jim Halpert in that one, too.
IMO, 13 Hours was a good film. You ought to see if you can rent it on Amazon Prime.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Two episodes in and I'm really enjoying it. I've liked the character in all of his previous incarnations, so I'm not surprised I like this one, too.

I haven't read the novels either, but as I recall the first movie incarnation was Alec Baldwin, and was played exactly that way. An analyst who was flung into the field.

Regarding John K, I always cringe when people don't want to let an actor evolve beyond an early, iconic role.
I have always thought the Baldwin's Ryan was the closest to book Jack Ryan. In HFRO he is a very reluctant warrior and never goes full blown action star like Harrison Ford or this incarnation.

I do like the show.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
He appears to be a reluctant warrior in this series.
I think to a lesser degree. In the novels and the first movie, if I remember correctly, Ryan was injured in a helicopter accident in training. In the Prime show it was a combat accident. Every portrayal of Ryan since Baldwin, Ryan has been much more physical.

Time and movies are different now, so I guess it's to be expected.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I thought Affleck's Ryan was particularly light on the physical action and came off more Baldwin-esque compared to Ford. I actually really liked The Sum of All Fears and was disappointed they didn't do another one or two with Affleck. It was a delightful "Jack Ryan Begins" and did it three years before Batman Begins so no one can say they stole the reboot concept. From what I remember of Shadow Recruit (only saw it once in the theater and never since) Pine had a lot more fight/action scenes. I enjoyed the movie alright, but it just didn't feel quite worthy of the franchise. I'll try to watch this new one at some point, but don't know how I'm going to if it's only on some amazon streaming thing. I pay for tv service and I pay for Netflix and will not be paying for anything else. I find it annoying how many different things there are of this kind.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Yikes I have no memory of a Shadow Recruit but it’s on my IMDB watch list.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I've never watched it from beginning to end either. I'll do that shortly as I'm going to revisit each film after "Hunt for Red October" since I recently just viewed it.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I never saw that one, either, but it's now in my digital library, as I recently purchased the five film collection on iTunes in 4K for $30. I do not remember watching The Sum of all Fears with Affleck, either, but I may have seen it when it first was released.

Similar to Robert, we are revisiting each of the films. So far, we've only watched The Hunt for Red October and Patriot Games. Next up will be Clear and Present Danger.

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
but don't know how I'm going to if it's only on some amazon streaming thing. I pay for tv service and I pay for Netflix and will not be paying for anything else. I find it annoying how many different things there are of this kind.

The cool thing about Amazon Prime is it is included with a Prime membership, which is pretty much independently worth it for the shipping benefit. I order and pre-order movies all the time from Amazon without worrying about combining shipping. I've average about 150 shipments a year these past few years (do the math on what the shipping was for each order at $100 a year -- less than a dollar).

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
It has already been renewed! Opinions vary so even though you didn't like it, somebody has an affinity towards it including some of us in this thread.
I get that and understand everyone has different tastes. I hope season 2 is good but I’m not going to bother with it. John Krasinski doesn’t sell himself as a convincing Jack Ryan to me. (For the record, neither did Ben Afflek and Chris Pine.) I thought the entirety of season 1 could have really been told in 2-3 episodes and nothing would have been lost.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I get that and understand everyone has different tastes. I hope season 2 is good but I’m not going to bother with it. John Krasinski doesn’t sell himself as a convincing Jack Ryan to me. (For the record, neither did Ben Afflek and Chris Pine.) I thought the entirety of season 1 could have really been told in 2-3 episodes and nothing would have been lost.
Different strokes for different folks.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The cool thing about Amazon Prime is it is included with a Prime membership, which is pretty much independently worth it for the shipping benefit. I order and pre-order movies all the time from Amazon without worrying about combining shipping. I've average about 150 shipments a year these past few years (do the math on what the shipping was for each order at $100 a year -- less than a dollar).
Amazon Prime is about the same price as a Netflix subscription, so I look at it as a much better deal, too. Prime gives me lots of other benefits besides streaming. We have a Prime membership and don't subscribe to Netflix.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I watched episode three today and found absolutely NOTHING predictable about it at all. The first blast from above made me jump out of my seat, there were surprises and twists all the way through (that Las Vegas room! Will the family that helped the brother die! the will-he-or-won't-he shoot the missile!). Gripping pretty much from beginning to end for me.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I order maybe 10 or less times a year from Amazon, and I always choose free shipping. I care not to get things right away. If it's the same price as Netflix then MAYBE I can cancel Netflix for a month and try Amazon's thing, but my wife and kids have stuff they regularly watch on Netflix, so don't know if they want to give up Netflix for a whole month. Lol!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks