What's new

Jack Ryan on Amazon Prime (1 Viewer)

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Surprised there's not a thread on the new Jack Ryan show on Amazon. I finished all eight episodes and thought it was well done. I'm definitely aboard for future seasons.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I loved the first episode but thought it went downhill quickly after that. I’m going ahead and watching the entire season but right now I would only give it 2/5 stars. I’ve seen almost the exact same thing done better with more interesting characters on NCIS.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I watched the pilot which seemed like more of a movie to me than a television show. I plan to watch the second episode tonight.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Oh man, they dumped all of the episodes at once? I had been interested in checking this show out, but I have a real hard time getting into shows when they're released in that format. To me, it then feels like an obligation to watch a ten hour movie, instead of as a show that I can enjoy at a specific day and time each week. It also makes having an ongoing discussion nearly impossible, which is a big disappointment to me.

I like when shows air from week to week. I have big incentive then to watch this week's new episode: so that I can be ready for next week's. If they're all available at once, what's the incentive to watch right away? There's no preparing for next week's, and there's no discussion to be had.

I'm disappointed by this news. I expect I am probably the only person that feels this way, though.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Oh man, they dumped all of the episodes at once? I had been interested in checking this show out, but I have a real hard time getting into shows when they're released in that format. To me, it then feels like an obligation to watch a ten hour movie, instead of as a show that I can enjoy at a specific day and time each week. It also makes having an ongoing discussion nearly impossible, which is a big disappointment to me.

I like when shows air from week to week. I have big incentive then to watch this week's new episode: so that I can be ready for next week's. If they're all available at once, what's the incentive to watch right away? There's no preparing for next week's, and there's no discussion to be had.

I'm disappointed by this news. I expect I am probably the only person that feels this way, though.

You’re not the only one. And for me one of the biggest reasons is that it kills discussion.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
We’ve watched the first 2 episodes today and really liked them. There’s substance to the characters, good acting, and generous dose of action. We give it two thumbs up.

As for “dumping” all episodes at once, that’s the way most streaming is done now. I get how it can kill water cooler conversation but we’re both retired and don’t get that opportunity anymore. Appointment TV is dead. If an old fart like me can adapt, anyone can. ;)

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
I'm enjoying it immensely, 6 episodes in. I do sympathize with the "anti-dump" position, because that is a fun way to enjoy a show (and normally I can't binge watch anyway).

But for this one the dump is appropriate, because they wrote it and shot it like an 8 hour movie. It's intended to be one long story, basically a multi-part movie.

Matt Weiner always said he wasn't going to dump his streaming shows, and sure enough, his upcoming "The Romanoffs" on Prime is going to feed out one show a week.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I'm not a binger myself as I like to only watch a single episode per setting. I appreciate the "dump" method because one per week is a slower pace than I like. I will generally watch at a pace of one episode per day. It harkens back to the time of the network miniseries where you would get one "chapter" of the story each night until it was over.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I have watched the first two episodes. So far, I think it's one of Amazon's better efforts. I loved the Clancy novels, so I am interested to see where they go with this.

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
If only there was a way to watch a "dumped" show at the pace you want to watch it.

:D
You can watch at any pace, but you can't experience it communally with friends from work, etc. When a "must see" show is weekly, the discussion builds each week and the "did you see that" conversations are enjoyable.

Both models bring something to the table.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Two episodes in and I'm really enjoying it. I've liked the character in all of his previous incarnations, so I'm not surprised I like this one, too.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
The show is really well done. That said, three episodes in I am having trouble seeing 'Jim' as Jack Ryan. Jack Ryan is a badass, 'Jim' is just good at messing with Dwight.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I’m loving this show.
I have two eps to go as I figured out how to watch at my own pace. :P

I’m a huge fan of having the entire run all at once too.

The office has been off the air for awhile now and I don’t feel he’s typecast anyway.
He was terrific in A Quiet Place as the star and director of that.

I never read the books but the feel,I’ve gotten from the movies is that jack Ryan is a nerdy guy who also happens to be very smart and knows how to handle situations like in the show too.

This also has Atmos sound available on some platforms.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I never read the books but the feel,I’ve gotten from the movies is that jack Ryan is a nerdy guy who also happens to be very smart and knows how to handle situations like in the show too.
I haven't read the novels either, but as I recall the first movie incarnation was Alec Baldwin, and was played exactly that way. An analyst who was flung into the field.

Regarding John K, I always cringe when people don't want to let an actor evolve beyond an early, iconic role.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The show is really well done. That said, three episodes in I am having trouble seeing 'Jim' as Jack Ryan. Jack Ryan is a badass, 'Jim' is just good at messing with Dwight.

I am having a difficult time with John Krasinski in the role, too. Every time I see him, Jim Halpert from The Office is what pops into my mind. He seems too mild mannered for the role. Jack Ryan is an intense character.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I am having a difficult time with John Krasinski in the role, too. Every time I see him, Jim Halpert from The Office is what pops into my mind. He seems too mild mannered for the role. Jack Ryan is an intense character.
Later on, his intensity picks up particularly in the last three episodes. Guess what, I've never watched "The Office". I've seen a few episodes while working out at my gym, but without audio.

I thought Krasinski did a good job portraying a Navy Seal in this film.

91zhWpXHVzL._SL1500_.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks