What's new

Jack Briggs and others, About my Wega. (1 Viewer)

Well guys....
I am finaly satisfied with the picture of my Wega. I finaly found the YDC adjustment in the service menu, and the picture is excellent in ALL levels!!! My brightness is now at 44%, and those nasty gray bars when viewing som anamorphic material when using the sqeeze mode no blend practically seemlesly. Now, is this 32 CRT set worth being ISF'ed? I cant see spending 300 bucks on a tv that i only spent 1k on, if the picture is only going to get marginally better. Acording to my avia disc everything is fine, except for the minor geometry issues and slight uneven brightness. But i must say that now, i can definitely live with this tv for years. Thanks gain for all your help before!
Michael

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
hmmm, $300?? Actually I charge $275 ($225 plus $50 towards travel).

I cant comment on the is it worth it? The question should probably be...do you want your set to be as accurate as it can be? Then if you do, what is it worth to you?

Regards

Gregg

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Gregg: This kind of question raises an issue I've been wanting to ask you, Michael TLV, and any other professional calibrationists: In your opinion, is professionally calibrating the grayscale of an NTSC-only display that costs less than $1,000 cost-effective? Of course, the end user has the ultimate say-so, and all displays will benefit from a professional calibration. But is there a point of diminishing returns? (It would be hard, for example, to justify an ISF calibration on, say, a garden-variety 27-inch NTSC-only direct-view set that cost $400.) Just curious what the thinking is. JB

Gregg Loewen

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Jack, I don't think that is the question I think the relevant question is that of, do you want a set that is color accurate, and then what is that worth to you? Cost-effective is not really in the equation (IMO).

You buy any set (regardless of price)...it is not color correct (regardless of price). To get it color correct you will have to pay for it...what is that worth to you?

For the NTSC only TV...if you watch DVDs on it and want them color accurate...then (read my thoughts above).

Regards

Gregg

TimTurtino

Stunt Coordinator
*grin* Speaking as a salesperson, I think that was a _great_ answer.

Speaking as an HT fan, I think it was even better.

Me

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
So how close does an Avia set up disc (or other brand) get you.
I know there is a certain amount of 'talent' involved in using them....but does it get you in the 80 -90% range?

When something is qualitative it's hard to put a number on...ballpark figure?????

Gregg Loewen

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Hi Grant, AVIA will not help AT ALL with gray scale. It will help with setting the color tint contrast and brightness level. To set the gray scale you need a good eye, AND color analyzer OR optical comparitor.

Most Sony sets I have done have been 50-125% too blue, which is also the hardest blue to balance by eye even with the assistance of a comparitor.

Regards

Gregg

Gregg Loewen

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
One more note, you cant use AVIA for setting gray scale either ways because it has color contamination on the gray scale windows / fields. You must use VE or another similar disc. AND ALL THE ABOVE are useless when it comes to calibrating 720 / 1080 where you need a high def signal generator.

Gregg

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Gregg is all-too-correct about how blue most Sony displays run. An ISF-level calibration is the only way to correct this.

JayQuinty

Grip
Gregg,
Once an ISF calibration is completed, will it stay that way forever? Is it possible to accidentally reset, or lose the "calibration" by moving the set to a different room, or from power loss, etc? Can the ISF calibration settings be saved into a memory?
FWIW, I received my Sony KP-46WT500 last night. I had it hooked up the my Hughes HD DirctTV reciever in short order, and even though this thing is totally fresh out of the box, the wife and I were quite impressed with the HD picture on HDnet. The non-HD signals look acceptable, but a little fuzzy in the 4:3 mode(with the gray bars), but I'm not concerned as I bought this TV to grow into the HD era. Since I can see how awesome the picture is with HD, I know that it will only get better over time as more and more HD comes online. Viewing with the gray bars looks best compared to Zoom, but I know this could be a problem with screen burn. Is this an absolute no-no, or would it only be a problem if it's done over thousands of hours.
I still need to run Avia, and may want to have an ISF calibration. Gregg, aren't you doing a tour in the LA area next month? I may want to solicit your services. Send me an e-mail with your availability.
Thanks,
Jay
[email protected]

Gregg Loewen

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Greetings!
The blue phosphor wears out faster than the green or red phosphors so over time the gray scale balance will change. Specifically, less blue and more red and green. Figure 12-24 months.
Moving the set will not effect the gray scale. On a CRT based set moving will affect convergence and possibly focus if jarred around alot.
Jay, my January trip is full. I am returning to Southern CA in April and am currenly taking bookings for this trip. Email me if interested or go to www.lionav.com and use the book a calibration form. To confirm you will also have to use the paypal link to send the required $50 travel fee. My cell # is 207 491 6007 if you have any questions.
regards
Gregg

JayQuinty

Grip
Gregg,

I guess I wasn't asking the right question. I'm wondering if the calibration can be "deleted" or lost by a loss of power or by changing the color/tint...etc on the TV. I'm a complete novice, so forgive my ignorance.

Jay

Gregg Loewen

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Once gray scale (or anything else) is set in the service menu, it cant be erased.

Regards

Gregg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks