What's new

My antique home theater (1 Viewer)

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Hi. I'm old school. Many years ago my life priorities changed such that keeping up with the latest surround formats and home theater technology lost interest with me. Some old schoolers may remember me as a former administrator on this board when I was more engaged in the home theater hobby. My wife and I had a home built about 11 years ago now, and our basement has a large area which I made a corner of into a nice little home theater. I have gone through a lot of hardware over the years, and the current setup may be the least capable from a technology standpoint that I've had in a decade or more. My receiver is so old that it doesn't even have DTS decoding on board. The best I can do is PCM stereo at 44.1 or 48 KHz or Dolby Digital. My speakers are very inexpensive Sony models that sound great to me and handle the loud volumes necessary for my wife's workouts. She loves to jam the tunes very loud while she's working out on the treadmill behind the sofas. My hardware is old, much of my software is very old (check out that LaserDisc collection), but I enjoy my movie room a great deal. Maybe more now that I'm not trying to keep up with the latest stuff. The "Whatever happened to Mike Knapp" thread inspired me to take these pictures and post. Anyway, here it is..... First of all, the rack. The rack is built in to the wall at about an 80 degree angle from the primary seating position. No lights in my face except the program. Love that. I'd go as far as to say that having no distracting lights from equipment is more important than counting pixels or audio bits. Remote control IR commands are echoed by a remote extender device. Equipment is (don't laugh): * Roku box - almost never gets used. * Ethereal green power surge supressor. Turns off the vampires when they're not being used. * Sherwood Newcastle R-925 receiver. Dolby digital and PCM are the only digital capabilities. Sound fantastic. Made in UK. This receiver was top of the line in 1998 I think. Maybe 1997. It has plenty of power to handle my wife's workouts, she jams the music LOUD. Originally retailed at over $1K, S/N's top of the line model. I got it on craigslist for $30. * Powermax Rackmax. The only thing plugged into this is an old JVC RK-11 (circa 1981) which powers the 6.5" speakers above the pool table. It's really just an expensive rack mount switch. * Sony BDP-S360 Blu-Ray player. This handles all CD, DVD, and CD play. * Sony MDS-JB920 MiniDisc Recorder. Almost never gets used. Sometimes for recording concerts from the DVR on Audio, and for sampling movies if I want to make a small MP3 or WAV file for something fun. * IMPACT component video switch. * Accurian HDTV receiver. Hooked up to my attic antenna, for local HDTV channels. I get two markets. * Dish VIP722k DVR. Dish Network is our TV provider. The TV in the family room is hooked to "B", it's a 27" flat front CRT. * Pioneer CLD-D704 LaserDisc player. Bought new in 1995. Still spinning on its second motor. No pictures of the pool table or dartboard, sorry.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Jim Mcc said:
Very nice. The X1 was my first projector. My son still uses it. You do have a Blu-ray player though. Yee Ha !!
Yes, and although the X1 can not show more pixels than native DVD, it *can* show the superior color resolution (less banding, etc.), and Blu-Ray discs as well as other HD sources look fabulous. I forgot to mention the screen is 96" in 4:3 mode, making it about a 72" or so in the 16:9 portion.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I know it looks "fabulous" to you, but wait until you eventually upgrade. The difference between the X1 and a 1080p projector is HUGE !!!

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Sam Posten said:
Badass. Can you tell me what riser you are using for your center speaker please? I need to lift mine off the floor like that.
I think I got it from Parts Express. I may have the other one (it was a pair) in a box somewhere.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Jim Mcc said:
I know it looks "fabulous" to you, but wait until you eventually upgrade. The difference between the X1 and a 1080p projector is HUGE !!!
It will be a long time. My brother has an HD projector. I know that HD sources will look better, but LaserDisc will probably look worse.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Philip Hamm said:
I think I got it from Parts Express. I may have the other one (it was a pair) in a box somewhere.
I just looked there and don't see anything like those, so if you could find the manufacturer and what it's called I would be VERY appreciative, it looks like it would work perfectly for me.

strumzilla

Auditioning
Real Name
Darren
ABWH FTW! I wish there was a better quality version of that but a great show nonetheless.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Um, welcome to HTF Darren? For those who, like me, had no idea wtf you were talking about apparently the OP is showing a Laserdisk of Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman and Howe (aka most of Yes).

strumzilla

Auditioning
Real Name
Darren
Yes, (no pun intended) I assumed Mr Hamm would know what I meant by ABWH. Normally I would reserve comments for the topic at hand, but that's such an obscure (and very cool if you're a long time Yes fan) video to see playing, I felt compelled to recognize his choice. Nice home theater as well.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
That ABWH disc was released on DVD, but available only very briefly at the advent of the format. It's not particularly rare, and available on Ebay from many vendors. According to some of the listinegs there was a 2007 release as well. Look it up! Listening in glorious PCM stereo, the sound on that LaserDisc is fabulous. Sam, I'll go digging for information on that stand this weekend. I *may* have the other one in a box in my storage room.

strumzilla

Auditioning
Real Name
Darren
I got it through I think an Amazon affiliate a few years ago, and I agree it sounds good although video quality could be better. I try to get my hand on any Yes related videos that get released and there are quite a few out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks