What's new

I've got a new dog! (1 Viewer)

bryan4999

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bryan Forbes
Please continue to update us on Brooks' progress. Rooting for the Furry Fellow! So sorry he (and you) had to go through this.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Oh Mike, i am so sorry!
I never thought of corn on the cob! Makes perfect sense, now that i think about it. The cob would be hard even for a dog to tear apart. Lucky he didn't choke on the cob chunks.
Damn dogs are fast!
You know my wife and i will be thinking of you guys. I wish i could do more.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Mike I hear that Brooks is home. I hope he is doing well now.
(yikes friggin iPad autocorrect)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by TonyD /t/319721/ive-got-a-new-dog/60#post_3943593
Mike I hear that Brooks is home. I hope he is don't well now.

He is, indeed, home, Tony. And, so far...so good.

He's just taking it extremely easy for now. I'll post more soon...but, in the meantime, I'll give you THIS LINK to my wife's blog post on the subject. I'm taking the opportunity of some quiet time at the house tonight to finish up research on this coming week's RoundUp.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Tony, how did you hear that? Did you bug Mike's house?
Good to hear Brooks is doing well at the moment. Hopefully he'll be fully recovered ere long.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Mike,

Best wishes for your friend's health.
Hopefully he will be home soon again.

Edit: .... and missed a few posts (again).
Good to read he's home safe and sound!

Cees

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
So sorry to hear. Thanks for the heads up about corn cobs. In the past I have just chucked them into the woods for the squirrels to finish off. I'll make sure they get to the trash can instead. Hope Brooks as a speedy recovery. Looks like you have signed him up for Dish after all .

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Warning on the web about feeding corn cobs to dogs

Quote:

Many dogs love to chew on corn cobs - the taste of the salt, butter, and bits of corn, plus they are just fun to chew. Some dogs chew them up. Some dogs don't. Corn cobs can cause intestinal obstruction, a very serious (and potentially fatal) medical condition. Additionally, some dogs are sensitive to corn and can suffer intestinal effects from that as well as the physical obstruction.
It is wise to keep all cobs away from your dog, safely secured in the trash. Dogs can be very "creative" when they want something in the trash, so make sure that the garbage is emptied or otherwise access protected from your pet.
If you suspect your dog has eaten a cob (or any food or foreign material that they shouldn't have), please call your vet as soon as possible. The sooner, the better.

I'm a bit surprised. Are full corn cobs (maize) so much more commonly used/laying around/eaten in the US than in my own country?
(Not that we don't know them, of course.)

Cees

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Serving boiled corn on the cob is a summer time staple in the US, Cees.

The fussy amongst us stick little holders in the end, lather the corn cob in butter and salt and eat the corn directly off the cob. Some people actually grill the corn at the same time they grill their meat for a summer barbecue.

One of the reasons it is such a treat is that we have an abundance of fresh corn grown at local farms (all around the country) and the fresher it is to the plate, the sweeter the corn.

MMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmm! Good eatin'! But...not for dogs (as your links notes above).

d712937b_corn_on_cob_holders.jpeg

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
7a90e350_tennisball1.jpeg

This darn thing makes it really hard for me to play with my tennis ball....

e00fa773_DSC05049.jpeg

And Romeo was right: it doesn't help me get any better channels at all. Drats!

Attachments

• tennis ball 1.jpg
    tennis ball 1.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 42
  • DSC05048.JPG
    DSC05048.JPG
    141.6 KB · Views: 43

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I always find it amazing how dogs will tolerate those things. Which is, of course, a very good thing.

Keep up the good work, Brooks!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Chas in CT /t/319721/ive-got-a-new-dog/60#post_3944077
I always find it amazing how dogs will tolerate those things. Which is, of course, a very good thing.

He's so easygoing that he doesn't even fuss when we put it on him.

He's funny, though. Because he'll be working through the living room, say, and he'll catch the cone on the corner of the coffee table and come to a full stop and then just stand there...and stand there...and stand there...until a human comes along and assures him that he can make it through. Watching him try to go upstairs is a panic. He cannot figure out that he just needs to lift his head a couple of inches.

Thanks, Charles.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
Sumnernor said:
I don't really understand why he must wear it, How long must he have it on?
Because he will try to pull out the stitches with his teeth and even if he isn't able to, may reopen the surgical wound and cause an infection before the skin heals.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Sumner,

It's called an Elizabethan Collar (not after the current Elizabeth ).

Although "licking one's wounds" is proverbial (and not a bad habit per se), it's not preferred in a case like this, as Kevin explained.

Cees

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Oh dear....
I don't have problems with the cats attacking the cobs, but Dukie really wants to eat the raw green husk. Something about cats makes them want to eat green stuff, perhaps as an emetic. But the super high fiber content of corn husk is apparently lethal to cats so I have to almost lock him up when I bring corn home from the store. I have to perform a trim on the husk before putting them into the refer. Trimmings go into the garbage behind a cabinet door under the sink. I have a large catnip bush which I use to supply greens for the kitties - salad and intoxicant all in one.
MIke, grilling the corn is a western staple of BBQ. You trim the excess leaves, pull out as much silk as possible, then soak the ears in water. They can then stand being put directly over the coals/burner. The ear steams internally from the covering of wet husk. The outside of the husk will char but the kernels themselves will be cleanly cooked. http://bbq.about.com/od/vegetablerecipes/r/bln0218a.htm
Cees, I've heard that Europeans view Americans as barbarians due to, inter alia, their consumption of corn (maize) on the cob. Apparently Europeans view corn as fit only for animal fodder. Here in the western US a typical summer BBQ meal may include grilled corn, grilled pork or chicken, garlic sourdough bread, and grilled other vegetables (yellow squash, peppers, asparagus) This way you can cook outdoors and not heat up the house from using the kitchen. Food is served with a dry sauvignon blanc, the US version of a dry white Bordeaux. A dry rub of salt, sugar, and spices is used as a dry marinade. See for example Raichlen's Rub. http://www.bbqu.net/season1/108_4.html
8ed930ab_PatioKitchen.jpeg

A confusion between US and British English exists in the naming of grains. Years ago the English had "corn laws" protecting English farmers from cheap imported grain. It turns out that in that example "corn" referred to what we in the US call "wheat".

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
I have found about a cat with improper legs:

http://animaltracks.today.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/06/29/12476938-cat-born-with-backward-legs-healing-well-after-rare-surgery?lite

From the article - it is unclear if the cat would up with only 3 legs

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
While I've noted Brooks is having some trouble navigating while wearing the cone AND that it has made it harder for him to play with his tennis ball, it has NOT deterred him from getting a drink:

ddfec400_Brooks-water-cone.jpeg

And he has taken comfort in knowing that even celebrity dogs have worn cones. This is Dug from Pixar's Up:

a685c596_coneofshame.jpeg

But he would still prefer this kind of cone:

8a8ed390_dog_with_cone.jpeg

Attachments

• DSC05068.JPG
    DSC05068.JPG
    110.3 KB · Views: 43

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks