What's new

I've got a new dog! (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
We went on a fun outing today to get some exercise!

3c13b31f_BrooksandKelly2-cropped-medium.jpeg

08717cfb_BrooksandKelly6.jpeg

19e2a832_BrooksatFirstBase1-Copy.jpeg

19a9ab37_BrookswithTennisBall3.jpeg

Attachments

• brooks with ball 2.jpg
    brooks with ball 2.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 74
  • brooks chasing ball.jpg
    brooks chasing ball.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 66
  • Brooks with Tennis Ball 3 - small.jpg
    Brooks with Tennis Ball 3 - small.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 71

greentaloy

Auditioning
Real Name
taloy
Mike Frezon said:
Frezon Dog: Paws Deux
;)
Meet Parker:

We brought Parker home today from our friends at Peppertree Rescue.  He is a senior dog.  He was abandoned somewhere in Pennsylvania and is estimated to be about 11 years old!  Except for some treatments for some skin/coat issues, he seems to be in pretty good health.
We've got some concerns about adopting such an old dog (for some pretty obvious reasons, I think)...but, OTOH, we love the idea about giving this beautiful old dog a good home after he's had some really hard times. 

We've had an incredibly good first day today.  Quite a contrast to our first few days with Moses.  The drama and tension doesn't seem to be in play this time around.  Parker seems to be fine with his role as submissive male.
And here is some evidence of that as Kelly is quite peaceably coexisting tonight with Parker:

Nice,seems like two best friends...envy with green eyes!

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I'm glad you did that. he looks like a good boy. :) I'd planned to do that myself. It's hard to go by the shelters and not get the most un-adoptable dog they have.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
^ that is one cute little dog. I'm surprised he was there for 2 days. Lucky trucker! Glad he got his friend back. Losing the other one should have taught him to be more careful.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Brooks and I been busy lately!

We've done a little traveling...

d9c11fa1_BrooksincaratPetapalooza2.jpeg

We lazed around on the porch with Kelly...

4b0f89d1_BrooksandKellyonPorch2.jpeg

...had fun with my son's cap & gown from his college graduation...

36bd5154_IMG_2041.jpeg

...chilled in the backyard...

f2f9c256_BrooksandKellyinBackyard.jpeg

...and on the seventh day, we rested.

e6615b82_BrooksNapping.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2041.JPG
    IMG_2041.JPG
    129 KB · Views: 81
  • Brooks after a long day 2.jpg
    Brooks after a long day 2.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_4476.JPG
    IMG_4476.JPG
    122.8 KB · Views: 83
  • Brooks and Kelly on vacation.jpg
    Brooks and Kelly on vacation.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 69
  • Brooks and Kelly in Backyard.jpg
    Brooks and Kelly in Backyard.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 68

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
Did you forget a picture??? You have "There's Jessie the yodelin....

I assume that your new dog is coming along fine. I agree with you answer about ask the Vet. I don't have a pet (not allowed too!).

Is it now a "modern expression" "put down" I have always used "put to sleep".

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Yup. "Put down" means the same as "put to sleep." Because of the different physiology of dogs, it is important to rely on the expert's advice when it comes to the condition of the animals. Dogs are much more stoic about aches and pains than us humans. But this is a discussion for that other thread...

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Mike, i thought i would come to your thread for our news. As Mike, and a few others guys on the forum know, we lost our Yorkie last week.
After a week of looking online we found a part Shih-tzu/Bichon frise. She is a two year old rescue, and her name is Maddie. The question i ask...why would anyone get rid of this dog!?
She is sweet, well trained, and a beautiful dog. My wife feels a little bit like she is "cheating" on Millie by getting this dog. As for me, i think i love this dog BECAUSE, of how i felt about Millie after she was gone. You have to enjoy life while you have it! Words to live my, in every sense!
I will post a pic of her, when i take some.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Yay, Rick!

Let's get some pictures soon!

Tell your wife that Millie would not want her to be pining for her all the time. Millie would likely want her to have the companionship that Millie provided. Sounds like the two of you are making the right move!

As I wrote above I don't think of Brooks as a replacement for Hudson. He's just a different dog that I am being blessed with the opportunity to give a home and provide comfort. And as you will quickly find out...each dog comes with his/her own temperament, attitude, and disposition. And its fun to be able to make those comparisons and figure each other out.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by RickER /t/319721/ive-got-a-new-dog/30#post_3941714
Mike, i thought i would come to your thread for our news. As Mike, and a few others guys on the forum know, we lost our Yorkie last week.
After a week of looking online we found a part Shih-tzu/Bichon frise. She is a two year old rescue, and her name is Maddie. The question i ask...why would anyone get rid of this dog!?
She is sweet, well trained, and a beautiful dog. My wife feels a little bit like she is "cheating" on Millie by getting this dog. As for me, i think i love this dog BECAUSE, of how i felt about Millie after she was gone. You have to enjoy life while you have it! Words to live my, in every sense!
I will post a pic of her, when i take some.
Interesting, I was ready for a dog a lot sooner than my wife was after we lost one last year. Sounds like Maddie will be a great dog. Just keep reminding yourself that just like people each dog is different, so try not to make comparisons.

Romeo had a run in with a coyote or racoon this week, not sure which. I didn't hear anything, just saw him lying on the deck licking his shoulder. Curiosity affects dogs too. Drains came out yesterday but he needs to keep the cone of shame on for a few more days.

23f17659_010Medium.jpeg

Attachments

• 010 (Medium).JPG
    010 (Medium).JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 74

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
2 pics of Maddie.
You know, i better ask my wife how we spell it. I have seen Maddy, and Maddie. Not sure what one is her spelling. I am sure it is on her papers. Today is her first full day with us. My wife is at work, so Maddie(y) has been helping clean house. What a helper. She has hidden the same treat about 5 times.
58b81a06_IMG_0031.jpeg

Attachments

• Maddy 1.jpg
    Maddy 1.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 73
  • Maddy 3.jpg
    Maddy 3.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 88

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I also had a pic of Millie from last year. Here she is doing what she did best, sleeping on her heating pad. My wife always had her heating pad out, during the winter so she would not get cold. We saved the heating pad cover, and put it away with her stuff.
210c1bc4_IMG_0071.jpeg

Attachments

• Millie 1.jpg
    Millie 1.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 67
  • Millie 2.jpg
    Millie 2.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 68

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Adam: Does Romeo get good reception with that thing?!?

Rick: Excellent pictures! Thanks for sharing one of Millie along with the two of Maddie/Maddy/Madeline/Mad Dog Murdock (you can always use that one whenever she gets into trouble!). Looking forward to hearing how she trains the two of you to do her bidding!

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
Originally Posted by RickER /t/319721/ive-got-a-new-dog/30#post_3941796
2 pics of Maddie.
You know, i better ask my wife how we spell it. I have seen Maddy, and Maddie. Not sure what one is her spelling. I am sure it is on her papers. Today is her first full day with us. My wife is at work, so Maddie(y) has been helping clean house. What a helper. She has hidden the same treat about 5 times.
58b81a06_IMG_0031.jpeg
I don't understand the confusion. Let her help. Call her with each name and see which one she answers to. Problem solved.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon /t/319721/ive-got-a-new-dog/30#post_3941900
Adam: Does Romeo get good reception with that thing?!?
As long as he holds still it's great! I caved in today and switched him out to a T-shirt.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Adam Gregorich said:
As long as he holds still it's great! I caved in today and switched him out to a T-shirt.
And how many dogs do we know that hold still?

That's why I'll never let Brooks get Dish Network. We're sticking with Time-Warner. The cable acts like a leash in case he gets worked-up watching Cesar Milan.

Glad to hear Romeo is on the mend.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I will assume that most of the people checking into this thread are dog lovers/owners.

For all of you, I have a rather serious comment: a fact that I did not know until yesterday.

Corn cobs can kill dogs. They are a horrible health risk to dogs.

As an owner of several dogs throughout the years (and as someone who is married to http://peggyfrezon.blogspot.com/

49ba641d_onhillvalleycat2.jpeg

But, all the sudden yesterday, he developed symptoms of trouble. He started dry-heaving and wouldn't eat, etc. Then, he threw up a section of corn on the cob. We don't give our dogs scraps...but there was one time--a few weeks ago--when we caught him getting into a trash bag. This was new behavior in our household since our other dog wouldn't normally do this. Apparently, in that one brief transgression (it all happened in a few seconds' time), Brooks wolfed down the remnants of an ear of corn.

Here's the problem. Corn cobs don't digest. The pieces sat (unknown) in his stomach for weeks. Two of them came back up yesterday...but two others started to make their way through his digestive tract. This is where they are dangerous. The sharp edges of the cob can perforate their colon...and they can also become wedged in the smaller parts of the tract and become obstructions.

So...I am doing something now I had previously thought I would never do...and that's sign off on a HUGE vet bill as Brooks had emergency surgery last night at our vets.

Something so simple and seemingly harmless has turned my household upside down in just a few hours time. http://peggyfrezon.blogspot.com/2012/06/corn-on-cob-warning.html

Attachments

• brooks 4.jpg
    brooks 4.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 68
  • DSC04953.JPG
    DSC04953.JPG
    166.1 KB · Views: 79
  • DSC04952.JPG
    DSC04952.JPG
    153.2 KB · Views: 74

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks