What's new

It's Not Just At Movies: Cell Phones, etc (1 Viewer)

SteveK

Supporting Actor
I've read many threads here complaining about cell phones and other problems at movie theaters. Unfortunately, it's also true for other forms of entertainment as well. I went to a local production of "The Nutcracker" the other evening, and while there weren't any problems with cell phones (some people did use them during intermission, but nobody's phone rang at any time during the performance), but there were problems with INFANTS being brought to the 7:30 PM performance. I'm sorry, no infant is going to be overly impressed by a ballet performance, and will occasionally do what infants do: cry. I admit it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but why would anybody bring an infant to a live theater performance? There were at least two infants brought to the performance, and they couldn't have been any more than 3 or 4 months old, if that. This is an annual production; would it have been so difficult to forego attendance until the child ages enough for a babysitter?

There were other young children in the audience as well, and of course they were also restless and overtired by the end of the evening. I'm all for exposing young children to art and culture, but what is wrong with a matinee performance if you want to bring your kids?

I'm not surprised by anything I see in movie theaters any longer, but frankly I expected more from an audience attending a ballet production. I guess intelligence, common sense and courtesy just aren't important any more, regardless of the nature of the event. A sad state of affairs, to say the least.

Steve K.

Cam S

Screenwriter
Well if they pay for the tickets and there are no restrictions as to who can watch, then they can bring whoever they want. Maybe the parents had no option but ro bring the children, so we gotta give them a bit of slack.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
I admit it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be
It's amazing to me how some forget that they were once children, as well.:rolleyes
For the record, I've never taken my daughter (19 months) to anything like that (or the movies for that matter), although we will be going to the Christmas concert (downtown at Lake Eola- a friend plays) as a family.
Todd

Tom Meyer

Second Unit
I had a rather similar experience yesterday, though on the opposite end of the spectrum. At a screening of "Wild Strawberries" at Facets in Chicago with a intro by the film critic of the Chicago Tribube and a talk aftewards by him and Studs Terkel, there was a very elderly couple sitting behind me where the man decided it was OK to recite virtually every line of the subtitles to his wife and otherwise describe what was going on. they were seated in the 2nd row, about 8 feet from the ~8'x10' screen, which means that the subtitles were probably 8-10" high.
I realize that they were probably there for the Studs Terkel q&a afterwards and I probably sound ageist, but jeez, if you can barely see the screen, it's incredibly rude to have your husband basically talk through the entire movie. I can't believe I was the only one who told him to keep quiet (though he was oblivious to my "sshh"s and only made eye contact when I whispered that he's got to keep quiet).

Julie K

Screenwriter
It's amazing to me how some forget that they were once children, as well.
Oh, I remember quite well. I remember how I was not taken to adult-oriented gatherings until I was able to be quiet, polite, and in general able to keep control of myself.

But I will agree that the growing tendancy of people to act in inconsiderate ways is in no way limited to those with young children.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
I humbly disagree. If you have an infant, you forego the ballet or find a babysitter. If that was the Boston Ballet, you would not even be seated with an infant. MOF, except during the holiday 'Nutcracker' productions, the Boston Ballet will not seat you until the second act if you show up late. I went to see my niece in the 'Nutcracker' at the Wang Center last week and the ushers sat a group that arrived 10 minutes late. The gentleman in front of me was a member/patron and he complained. The staff said they tend to have more late arrivals during the holiday production because the more 'infrequent' ticket buyers (cough, J6P, ahem, cough) tend to equate the ballet with the movies. The same gentleman had to ask the woman next to us to shut her young children up, for they were carrying on a conversation like they were watching an episode of 'Barney'. She actually shrugged her shoulders at him, like there was nothing she could do. Later, I noticed a mother let her children climb up the side of the stage and they had to be removed by an usher before they fell into the orchestra pit. Just further evidence that very few people understand class and decorum today, never mind courtesy.

By the way, the gentleman who was the member/patron had 2 little girls with him about 6 and 8. They were perfectly well behaved and just a couple of darlings in their holiday dresses. My mother and sister complimented the man on his daughter's behavior and he replied that they do not know any other way to behave. Just goes to show that children only act the way they are allowed to.

Reminds me of when I went to the Boston Opera on a cultural field trip when I was 13. The kids I was with were making a racket and the classy lady seating us told us to quiet down or we would not be admitted. I asked her to cut us some slack, for we were only a bunch of kids. She replied that the Opera was an adult production and we should conduct ourselves as such, regardless of our age. She was about 80 years old and as stern and serious as can be. She was also absolutely correct and I never forgot her lesson.

Mark C Sherman

Second Unit
The One thing I do hate are the people who do not know how to conduct themselves at Events such as this. IE proper dress, Speaking level, what time to arrive Etc etc. I am not going to pay "X" amount of money to sit through a production while John Q Talks alot is rambling on with his date.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
I have yet to understand why I must tolerate your children. I was in line at Albertson's, when this ladies 2-3 yr old son comes and socks me in the privates. I was stunned, and then even more shocked when she just shrugs and kind of laughs at the situation. Fine, nervous and embarrassed? He proceeded to do it 3 times, on the third (try) I asked the lady, "Would you mind, taking control of your child?"

Oh, I remember quite well. I remember how I was not taken to adult-oriented gatherings until I was able to be quiet, polite, and in general able to keep control of myself.
Me also, I was never taken to rated R features, symphonies, plays etc, until I was bit older and able to enjoy it even. Now it's rampant, I had a crying 2 yr old next to me at 8 mile. A screaming infant was present at Hannibal !, when finally the ushers kindly asked the lady to the lobby. These children don't belong at features like this. Before you start, yes I have a child and even at 14, would not take her to see Hannibal or adult-oriented material in question.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
LoL that sucks Zen, I dunno what I would do if that happened to me, probably flick the little snot on the nose, much like I would a dog :laugh:

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
I'm so tired of all of the inconsiderate people in this world. My wife and I rarely go out anymore and it's primarily because of this. It seems that we're in a period of time where most people only care about themselves and couldn't care less if they're bothering other people around them.

SteveK

Supporting Actor
Todd- Although I don't have any children, I certainly don't consider myself a "child hater". However, it surprises me to see young children, even infants, at certain kinds of activities. After the ballet, we went to a nearby restaurant. It was at least 10:30 PM by this time, but there were several very young kids (perhaps 3-5 years old) at the next table, and of course they were overtired and cranky. I'm not saying don't take kids anywhere, but at least consider their needs when you do: should they really be staying up that late? Are they actually going to enjoy the event you're taking them to?

I have seen many well behaved children at restaurants, movies and other activities, and I've often complimented the parents on their children's behavior. But as indicated in some of the shocking examples cited in previous posts, too often parents don't seem to realize that there child is doing something wrong by running through the aisles, talking loudly or other inappropriate behaviors (hitting people in the privates,etc).

Steve K.

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
Maybe the parents had no option but ro bring the children, so we gotta give them a bit of slack.
No option? Your option is simple: If you can't find a babysitter, you stay home. Nobody is getting any slack from me for bringing a crying infant to an adult function.

Jeff Pryor

Supporting Actor
It's really not the children's fault at all, it's the parent's fault for acting like children and not learning the discipline it takes to discipline your own child. I have no patience with parents who don't understand the old saying 'Children should be seen and not heard.' It's the way my parents raised me, and the way I raise mine.

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
, Speaking level, what time to arrive Etc etc.
I don't understand why people are expected to dress up for these types of events (ballets, operas, etc.) This isn't 1850s London and we aren't talking about a wedding. Whether or not I'm dressed in jeans and a sweatshirt, a pair of khakis and a sweater, or a tux, I'm not going to disturb you one bit.
I agree about the infant stuff, and talking, and cell phone usage, and anything else where me or my family is potentially disturbing others (I hate it too!). But who cares how people are dressed!? I think this general snobbery causes less people to attend art events like this. I'm not picking on you, Mark; I just wonder why people think that dress code matters at a public performance like this.

E

Eric Kahn

Greg, the dress code is specifically to keep out the "riff raf" that the "snobs" do not want to associate with
same with the high prices at some restaurants

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
My wife and I rarely go out anymore and it's primarily because of this. It seems that we're in a period of time where most people only care about themselves and couldn't care less if they're bothering other people around them.
It seems that everyone laments this, but when we look around and see how everyone is wronging us, I'm not sure that we're not contributing to the problem. It's like everyone is LOOKING to be wronged in some way, these days.
Todd

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
It seems that everyone laments this, but when we look around and see how everyone is wronging us, I'm not sure that we're not contributing to the problem. It's like everyone is LOOKING to be wronged in some way, these days.
Contributing to the problem? How so? I don't agree at all. Sure, some people may have a chip on their shoulder but most are very understanding up to a point. I try to just ignore most of the idiots but if I paid good money for something and your behavior is keeping me from enjoying it, then I will say something. I will be polite at first but if I need to keep asking, I will become less polite.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
I hear you all.

around here (Singapore), it seems even worse, at least to me. many parents let their ill-mannered brats run riot, whether it's in a restaurant, shopping mall, cinema or theatre. too many kids are spoilt rotten. my parents never let me run wild like these parents do, and I expect them to exercise the same control and restraint, but this is sadly lacking nowadays.

I am surprised that I have yet to hear of a case where some brat ran into a waiter and had hot food or liquid spilled on him/her. no doubt the parents would kick up a hue and cry and try to sue the restaurant, but I would have no sympathy for such people -- your brat caused the accident, you live with the consequences.

I know it sounds a bit harsh, but recently there was a case where a kid was running around the subway station, and fell onto the tracks and got dragged by a train, causing a lengthy delay in service. IIRC, he initially lied and claimed he'd been pushed, or tripped, but cameras showed otherwise. I have no sympathy for the kid. the subway station is not a playground. neither is a road with heavy traffic.

some time ago there was also a case where a kid (about 8 or 10, I think) running up and down the aisles at Borders so irritated another customer that he actually slapped the kid. a bit extreme, and I don't think I'd ever resort to corporal punishment of someone else's child, but I can understand his frustration. sometimes in such circumstances I myself am sorely tempted to just stick a leg out, and with my long-ish legs and big feet it wouldn't be difficult...

Cam S

Screenwriter
Uh ok?

I can't complain if kids are at the theaters with their parents watching movies like Lord of the rings, Harry potter, etc etc. I used to work at a local theater, and I saw ALOT of kids being brought to adult oriented movies, nothing x rated, but not PG-13. I never heard one complaint in the two years I was there about kids being loud, and that was working 5+ days a week for 2 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks