What's new

It's 2002...any word on Grease (1 Viewer)

C

Christina_V

Yeah........one of my all time favorites i'm dieing to own on dvd and see in WS finally!
I don't have a LD palyer,buy was thinking of getting one & track down a copy of the WS LD since it seems like it could be years,if ever until the film finnaly hits dvd!
I have'nt even bothered seeing the film in a couple years as i'm so sick of pan & scan & this doesn't look good at all cropped. So unless i can track dow a WS version on video to hold me over or LD, please hurry with the dvd!! I'm dieing to see the film again just hearing the songs on the radio every so often gets me in the mood to watch it,yet i don't bother and am waiting for a WS version!!

Andy_S

Second Unit
I bought my wife the Widescreen VHS copy a few years back. It was a collectors edition or something like that. I don't remember exactly. I know it's not going to come close to DVD, but at least it's OAR.

Greg_M

Screenwriter
The "Grease" laserdisc was released in the early 80's. It was a pan & scan version - and the only version you could buy for about 15 years. It wasn't until the studio's closed down production on Laserdiscs and started producing DVD's that a widescreen edition of "Grease" was released. The film was scheduled for DVD release at that time, than cancelled. Since it is one of Paramount's biggest titles, I wouldn't expect it on DVD until the next major home video format arrives.

C

Christina_V

Actually there was a 20th Anniversary WS edition on laserdisc that does show up on ebay from time to time,though goes for $40+ ,the other option is the WS video.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Since it is one of Paramount's biggest titles, I wouldn't expect it on DVD until the next major home video format arrives.
I disagree. Because it would be a big money maker for them I expect them to release it when and if the rights issues can all get worked out.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
It's all about the rights and how they are tied up in litigation. This movie has been restored, and is ready to go when they get the green light. We saw it at the L.A. HTF meet at Paramount--clips of it anyway, and the digital restoration.

They want to release it, they all pretty much said that. It's just that they can't until all the suits are figured out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks