What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

It Happened One Night (1934) ? (1 Viewer)

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Here's another article which appears to confirm 4K restorations of Mr. Deeds Goes to Town, Lost Horizon, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, and You Can’t Take it With You. There have been "rumblings" at the Criterionforum.org site that a Capra boxset might be in store for December. In the last newsletter, Criterion's cartoon "hint" was about the "walls of Jericho" which was construed as a reference to It Happened One Night.

http://postperspective.com/capras-classic-it-happened-one-night-restored-in-4k/

John Doe

Second Unit
Real Name
aki jebivetar
atfree said:
Here's another article which appears to confirm 4K restorations of Mr. Deeds Goes to Town, Lost Horizon, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, and You Can’t Take it With You. There have been "rumblings" at the Criterionforum.org site that a Capra boxset might be in store for December. In the last newsletter, Criterion's cartoon "hint" was about the "walls of Jericho" which was construed as a reference to It Happened One Night.

http://postperspective.com/capras-classic-it-happened-one-night-restored-in-4k/
If by "rumblings" you mean wishful thinkings, then sure.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Like the Chaplins and Lloyds, I would think that each of those titles is big enough for Criterion to release them individually over a few years.

Richard M S

Screenwriter
This October the Film Forum in New York is having a Frank Capra Film Festival. Five of his films are listed as being presented in 4K Restorations:

YOU CAN'T TAKE IT WITH YOU

MR. DEEDS GOES TO TOWN

IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT

MR. SMITH GOES TO WASHINGTON

LOST HORIZON (featuring a newly discovered scene missing for over 75 years).

The Criterion Newsletter's recent clue (which even I deciphered) all but confirms a Criterion version of IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT is forthcoming. I have no idea about the other films, however a surprisingly large percentage of Criterion's releases have had a Film Forum run prior to their release.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Richard M S said:
Yes! Very much yes! I'd love a Blu-ray of this, please!

John Doe

Second Unit
Real Name
aki jebivetar
Brandon is right. They will release them separately over a course of the next few years.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
atfree said:
My guess, and it's only a guess based on wishful thinking....is a Criterion boxset for December.
I own many Criterion titles. But none of them is a boxset.

This would be my first...assuming it happens. I would hit a pre-order button right now if I could!

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Richard M S said:
This October the Film Forum in New York is having a Frank Capra Film Festival. Five of his films are listed as being presented in 4K Restorations:

MR. DEEDS GOES TO TOWN

IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT

That's great news, but I would love to see MEET JOHN DOE on that list too.

---------------

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
ScottHM said:
That's great news, but I would love to see MEET JOHN DOE on that list too.

---------------
Very true, but MEET JOHN DOE wouldn't be part of any deal Criterion would have with Sony for Columbia titles.

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Rob_Ray said:
Very true, but MEET JOHN DOE wouldn't be part of any deal Criterion would have with Sony for Columbia titles.
Perhaps not, but just knowing that it had a new 4k restoration would make me feel pretty good.

---------------

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Richard M S said:

MR. DEEDS GOES TO TOWN

IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT

The Criterion Newsletter's recent clue (which even I deciphered) all but confirms a Criterion version of IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT is forthcoming. I have no idea about the other films, however a surprisingly large percentage of Criterion's releases have had a Film Forum run prior to their release.
Hi Richard!

I wonder whether the newly discovered scene is LOST HORIZON's seven minutes of missing visuals that have, heretofore been augmented with stills?

If so, then in my opinion, this is the biggest news of all, and Criterion ought to get on to restoring this as soon as possible!

CHEERS! :)

Tony

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Tony Bensley said:
Hi Richard!I wonder whether the newly discovered scene is LOST HORIZON's seven minutes of missing visuals that have, heretofore been augmented with stills?If so, then in my opinion, this is the biggest news of all, and Criterion ought to get on to restoring this as soon as possible!CHEERS! :)Tony
I saw the "Lost Horizon" screening at the Film Forum that Richard referenced - the movie still has some segments with still photos, but less now than before. It's been so long since I've seen the DVD that I can't say with absolute certainty, but I think that there used to be stills in the scenes where Ronald Colman's character meets and talks with Sam Jaffe's High Lama character, and in the new 4K version, it's all live action now. The 16mm footage also looks a lot nicer now than it did on the previous DVD - still noticeable but the transitions in and out of it aren't as jarring as they sometimes were on the DVD. I for one cannot wait for a Blu-ray!

Richard M S

Screenwriter
I attended one of the LOST HORION screenings at the Film Forum. As Josh mentioned there are 3 segments with stills, all primarily featuring the supporting cast (Edward Everett Horton, Thomas Mitchell and Isabel Jewel.)

It has literally been decades since I first saw the film and that certainly was the edited version. Therefore this restored version was a revelation to me. Besides the film itself which is wonderful and rather daring, I found the contrast between the retained film and the 16mm footage to be absolutely fascinating, because it enabled me to see what the censors - and/or the studio - felt was necessary to remove in subsequent years. Sometimes a single line was edited from a crucial scene, and you suddenly realize how its absence completely neutered the rest of the scene, and ultimately the film itself.

Regarding the newly restored, previously-missing footage, before I left I asked a woman working at the Film Forum which scene was that "newly discovered one minute of film not available in 75 years" as advertised on the poster and on their schedule. She amusingly replied "You don't know? Management at the Film Forum assumes their customers will know." Then she smiled and said "I really don't know." I did send a Tweet to the Film Forum, however I never received a response.

So yes, I too can hardly wait for a Blu-ray !

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Richard, I had the same thoughts about noticing the choices of cut footage. The one instance that really jumped out was about "white people". The title cards have that note specifically about the white people being in danger, and it sounds really awful by today's standards - if it's let stand with no explanation or context. But then on the plane after they escape in the beginning, Ronald Colman points out exactly how ridiculous and unfair it is that they focus on only the white people and not all the people that were in danger. Colman's lines there were from the 16mm footage. I can understand why the choice was made to cut those lines (possibly during a WWII-era reissue - the commentary on the DVD was wonderful with pointing out what was cut and when and why but I don't remember the details so I'm just guessing there), but that cut really takes something away from the film. It was "Lost Horizon" on DVD and "Spartacus" and "Vertigo" on letterboxed VHS that really sparked my interest in film history and preservation. And I discovered "Lost Horizon" after seeing "It Happened One Night" and falling in love with Capra movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CashaMurphy231
Recent bookmarks
SVS Outlet Sale