What's new

Isuzu Rodeo Reliability (1 Viewer)

JasonMC

Stunt Coordinator
Hello all.

I am looking for a used inexpensive SUV for driving in the Colorado winter. I found a 1991 Isuzu Rodeo 5 sp manual 191,000 miles.

Does anybody have any first hand experience with the reliability of Isuzu Rodeo's?

Thanks,
Jason

CameronJ

Stunt Coordinator
Not quite 190k, but I had a '93 Rodeo here in Denver from 93-97, put 100k miles on it during that time.

Didn't have one single problem - just normal maintenance.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I had an Amigo with a 2.6L I4 which was very reliable, but I only put 70K miles on it.

It depends on the engine. Lots of Rodeos used a GM built V6 which was average reliability.

Bonnie*F

Stunt Coordinator
Don't have a Rodeo. Have a 93 Trooper with 206K on it. Mostly routine maintenance but at 13 years old, it's been done a couple of times. Replaced the muffler from catalytic converter back last year. Still original muffler till then. Fortunately it has still lots of original parts since getting ahold of new or refurnished parts is not easy and getting more expensive.

Have a reliable mechanic take a really close look at it. At that age, stuff you normally would not replace in regular usage, is coming up for replacement just out of sheer age and usage (Fuel pump, water pump, radiator, etc.)

See if the previous owner kept a log of maintenance, especially when the clutch was last replaced.

This is my second Trooper ( I can't get another since they're no longer being made). The first one (a manual) blew a hose, the engine overheated and cracked the head. The mechanic was absolutely astounded by the fact that the engine would run with "I stopped counting after twenty-four" cracks in the head. It leaked coolant everywhere, but the engine ran. I got the newer one shortly thereafter.

Troopers - and since Rodeos were considered baby Troopers - are known to go over 1 million miles if they are taken care of. Since you have over a dozen years of unknown maintenance and care, I would not expect anything similar. But for a Winter Rat, you can certainly do ALOT worse.

By the way, I live in Central/Upstate New York. Lots of snow, and salt on the roads. The truck just started to show rust the past couple of years. Everyone can't believe that a vehicle that looks that good is that old and is used every single day. Sorry, wish I had a picture to upload but I don't.

CameronJ

Stunt Coordinator

The Honda Passport was basically a re-badged Rodeo, but I'm pretty sure the Pilot isn't based on an Isuzu product.

Buzz Foster

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
My 1992 Trooper went 275,000 miles before the catalytic failed, and two more burned up. I could not find the problem. At the same time, the tranny failed, and could not be fixed. There was a problem getting the right part.

Had I been able to find the catalytic problem, and had I bought a used tranny from a salvage yard, I probably would still be driving it. I did love that vehicle.

Bear in mind that the Toyota Tacoma is probably one of the most reliable and versatile vehicles ever. Those are good choices, too. They hold their value, so don't expect to get one super-cheap.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Correcto.

My boss got rid of his Mitsubishi Montero. Great SUV. Awesome reliability. Had 270,000 on it or so before he got rid of it. Hardly ever an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks