What's new

ISF Calibration / Imaging Science? (1 Viewer)

John S

Senior HTF Member
Are at least most of the Calibrationists listed on the Imaging Science website good?

Just curious, I just contacted one of them to schedule the ISF.

Mark West is his name and the company is calld CinemaSetup.

Unless somebody has a particular horror story with this guy, I think he is going to be the one. I felt very comfortable at least in the initial phone conversation with him.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
What type of display to you want calibrated and where do you live? ISF calibration is setting your set's gray scale. Many calibrators (like those at www.lionav.com) perform many other services that can make a huge difference in the way the final image looks.

How many calibrations has this person performed? and how many times has he calibrated your model of display? What is he doing for the price quote? All of these are very valid questions to ask before signing a check for $275-$700.

Regards

Gregg Loewen

Tim Jin

Supporting Actor
I've been looking into ISF Calibration for about an year now. I've called, email, talk to many ISF calibrators in my area. Some charges less and some charges way way way more than $700.

Some asks if I can provide the service manual for my tv for calibration, which is not the answer that I want to hear. If I have to fork out $500, they better know my make and model.

Most of them charges extra to remove the anti glare screen also. Some ISF calibrators don't know what you are talking about, like e focus, etc.

Believe it or not, a few ISF calibrator that are in my area, actually recommended Gregg to me.

After reading reviews after reviews on here and other forums, I finally decided to go with Gregg.

Next month, Gregg??? :)

To tell you the truth, I am actually tire of reading reviews after reviews on how great Gregg is at calibrating.

"Does this guy ever make a mistake???" ;)

Before I booked my calibration, which is 3 months before he is set to come to California, Gregg and I talked many times. I did enough researching to feel confident that I wasn't wasting my money on ISF.

Now, I am just waiting for that day that Gregg knocks on my door and finally calibrate my set.

Am I looking forward to this??? H*LL YEAH!!! What nut books his calibration 3 months in advance .

Look forward to meeting you, Gregg.

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
I don't know about Mark West, but if you want your display looking its best, contact Gregg. He's thorough, reasonable, and the results are jaw-dropping. Even if Gregg's not scheduled to come to your town soon, he's worth the wait.

Tim Jin

Supporting Actor
Hi Jan,

You are local to me. Actually, 20 miles, so not that local...

When did you have Gregg come over and calibrate your set?

What kind of set do you have?

Can you see a different from post calibration?

Thanks.

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
Hey, Tim,

Gregg calibrated my Tosh 65H80 in April 2003 and did a touch-up in January when I got the Denon 2900. And yes, I can see a difference that is worth more than I paid each time. I'll hopefully be upgrading to a DLP projector within the next year, and I'll be calling on Gregg to work his magic then, too.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Well, he wants to charge $400 as I told him, I really only want 1080i Component source calibrated, asserts that he has done quite a few Philips CRT RPTV's. I found an email from him with a list of about 20 or so references this morning. He has NOT done my particular model. He does seem to have all the right equipment.

One of the references was on a somewhat similar model Philips to mine, so I was going to email that person, and a couple of the others.

Just because I am that way, I guess I wanted to give the local in my community guy a shot at the business was all.

Now my significant other has been pretty good about my upgrades and equipment so far, but when I told her about this expendeture, she sort of came unglued. I had to agree with her sort of, her dang point was valid, the set currently exceeds all prior expectations I had of it before I got it.

I'll probably just try to slide this one in under her nose somewhow, the 4 to 6 hours it takes to get it done, of course makes that difficult. I'll have to pull a "While You Were Out" thing on her. lol

Eric Hahn

Agent
Its just my .02 but if you are happy with it now do not bother unless you have the money buring a hole in your pocket.

but that is just my opinion, yes I have had my set calibrated yes dvd's look awsome, 1080, on the other hand, I should have left alone. just my .02

also I did ask my calibrator if he would have just done 1080I and he said no, it was not a referance source, I can say my 480p is crystal clear and colors pops, so he definatly did a good job.

just remenber if he only does 1080I if will not effect 480 I or P .. and every channel will vary along with every show..
anyway have fun with your decision.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I want it done, more because I know I am no where close to 6500K way way over as many sets come from the factory.

These days the only sources I have that do not run at 1080i through component video are LD and SVHS, they run through svideo connections.

I'm on the fence about it somewhat, with the objections of the only other interested party.

I emailed five of his references, I got two replies so far, giving him and the experience high praise at least.

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
John,

Getting is ISFed is a no-brainer to me. I'd get all the inputs that you use done too. And getting the focus done was a pretty huge thing to me too. I had Michael Chen do it like 3 or 4 years ago, and have Gregg touch it up when he's in town usually (I get the he's-sleeping-on-my-couch-discount though.)

Gregg of course gets my super seal of approval. He's my friend, but his reputation is pretty top notch too!

And, remember dinner and this ? Fun times. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks