What's new

Is there any way to appeal Facebook's disabling of an account? (1 Viewer)

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
With people I know offline, I rarely ever respond to emails and never anything on social media. If they want to speak with me, it is done by the telephone or ringing the doorbell at the front door.

Fatstrat

Auditioning
Real Name
Bill
Hi,

A couple of days ago, I created a FaceBook account. I put in my profile information, reposted an anti-bullying message from an old colleague/friend, and made a few positive, informative posts about the value of practicing enlightened (intelligent, creative, flexible, country-over-party, truth-based, try-to-make-everyone-win when you can) self-interest … both to the country, and as a way of getting more of what you want.

(When people in a large group engage in Daffy-Duck-style behavior, they waste much time fighting each other to a standstill or worse instead of solving their shared and individual problems. When they work constructively/cooperatively, we reach heights like defeating the Nazis, making the U.S. the richest country in the world, wiping out smallpox, and sending men to the Moon. We can and should be reaching for the sky like that more often. Practicing enlightened self-interest in large groups can be tricky and requires learning/practice (like reading/writing), but the payoff is well worth it. The more of us who "get it", the more valuable practicing the skill becomes to us all. And part of the glue that holds a democracy together is for most/all citizens to freely choose to act in this way … "a house divided against itself cannot long stand" (Lincoln); something that George Washington also understood and warned us about in his own way.)

Note that I am NOT promoting any particular political end here … but rather, a style of working that lets citizens more constructively/productively resolve their political and business differences, whatever those might happen to be.

FaceBook disabled my account, then reversed it. Then they disabled it again – only let me upload a photo of myself but not file any other appeal. Eventually I found a customer service number and called and they said that some people might have tried to get into my account from four other places, and that they would get back in touch with me within 24 hours (via cell phone or e-mail). I never gave my password to anyone or saw any evidence that hackers had succeeded in posting anything under my name.

Now when I try to log in, I get

Your Account Has Been Disabled

You can't use Facebook because your account, or activity on it, didn't follow our Community Standards.
We have already reviewed this decision and it can't be reversed.
To learn more about the reasons we disable accounts visit the Community Standards.

As far as I can tell, I have not violated their Community Standards, but they are locking me out of an explanation or an appeal anyway! I don't even know if I can force them to delete all the valuable personal info in my profile (my last choice). And they haven't called or e-mailed yet, although technically they have until this evening to keep their customer rep's 24 hour promise.

Long-time HTF readers will know that I can express strong opinions, but that I am NOT abusive.

Help!!!!!
Hope your learning something here. Get ready for more of it.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
Hope your learning something here. Get ready for more of it.
I am not sure what you are trying to say, but since discovering what you mean might involve talking about a subject that is under moderation review in another thread, I am not going to engage you out of deference to the moderator.

Have a nice day.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Don't you have a telephone, or an email address, or a physical address?
---------------
Don't you have a telephone, or an email address, or a physical address?
---------------
I do but I talk on the phone all day for a living as a Customer Rep for a Major insurer . I encourage people to Get me but they dont listen

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
I do but I talk on the phone all day for a living as a Customer Rep for a Major insurer .
:( I don't think I could handle that much phone time, even with friends and family. However, I'm not prepared to share my life with Facebook and whoever they decide to sell that information to.
---------------

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I have a Facebook account that I believe was started by one of my cousins. I have never visited it, and likely never will for 2 reasons- I don’t think a lot of good comes from posting stuff on social media- it can easily lead to unintended consequences, and the other reason is I don’t agree with the entity’s policies.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Ok, I know I am an old fart, but I just don’t understand why anyone would want to participate in social media. I have a Facebook account, but only use it when sites I visit tell me that information about them Is posted there. My wife and I like to go through the world mostly anonymously. Why anyone would want to read about my life, especially under COVID eludes me, and I certainly don’t care about a picture of the food they ate at a restaurant etc.

Last edited:

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I'm a hobbyist magician. A *lot* of magic manufacturers and creators use the private groups feature on Facebook to support their products. Fellow magicians share their routine ideas and performance tips and we generally all learn from each other.

Ditto for several other hobbies. The Facebook groups feature allows us to dynamically connect with others that have similar interests and to share ideas and photos & videos.

You know, basically exactly like we are doing in this very forum.

Except, with the Facebook groups, they can be completely private and the content in the group is not accessible to those that haven't become members of the group. Just like this forum has a private area for moderators to exchange messages that the rest of us can't see.

Mark

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Ok, I know I am an old fart, but I just don’t understand why anyone would want to participate in social media. I have a Facebook account, but only use it when sites I visit tell me that information about them Is posted there. My wife and I like to go through the world mostly anonymously. Why anyone would want to read about my life, especially under COVID eludes me, and I certainly don’t care about a picture of the food they ate at a restaurant etc.
I’m feeling attacked :laugh:

fdabbott

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Doug
I've lived my entire life without a Facebook account. You'll survive.
---------------
The first thing I do, when every I set up a new account is block or disable all social media been doing that for 12 years now, works great.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
martin.png

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks