What's new

Is there a Manchurian Candidate SE coming this fall? (1 Viewer)

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
From the Digital Bits' Rumor Mill entry dated today, 4/1/04:

I've owned the current Manchurian Candidate disc for a few years now. Transfer is OK, IIRC, but not anamorphically enhanced. It also has a Frankenheimer commentary which is quite good. Is there going to be a new SE to tie in with the Denzel/Liev Schreiber remake that's coming this summer (July 30 release date according to IMDB)?

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
The current edition is very good, but is 1.75:1 non-anamorphic, so a remastered anamorphic edition would be great.

Yes - Electra Glide in Blue is coming!

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
According to the Digital Bits, it's now been officially announced that there will be a SE of Manchurian Candidate on July 13.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Who-hoo! Indeed they have announced it. Details from the Bits:

Anamorphic widescreen and 5.1, sweet!

The Frankenheimer commentary is solid, for anyone who's never heard it from the original disc. The "Exclusive Interview" is also on the original disc, and it isn't much to shout about. The other two featurettes might be interesting, and I wonder what the Easter eggs will be.

Tommy G

Screenwriter
Yay, all of my holding off on purchasing this has paid off. I'll be pre-ordering this asap.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
5.1? Was Manchurian Candidate recorded in stereo or is this created especially for the DVD from the mono elements?

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
The original disc was the second DVD I ever bought, and it's been well used over the last 4 years. An upgrade may very well be in order. :emoji_thumbsup:

And Jonathan Demme needs to stop remaking great early 60's films....

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
I'll be double-dipping this movie. I picked up a few weeks ago when it was part of BEst Buy's 2 for $15 deal. With an SRP of $14.95, I can't go wrong.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
DVDFile is showing what appears to be the cover art for the upcoming SE:

Looks pretty good.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Thomas,

IMDB cannot always be trusted but they identify this film as mono only. Since it was shot flat, and in 1962, I am inclined to believe them. Also, both the Laserdisc special edition and the previous DVD are mono only. Fortunately, according to the specs quoted above, the original, theatrical, mono soundtrack will be included on the new disc. :emoji_thumbsup:

Films shot in black and white should be presented in b&w on DVD. Films recorded in mono should likewise be presented on DVD with the original mono soundtrack intact.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Rob, thank you for the information and returning your signature back to its' original aspect. In my top ten of all time, the film and your sig.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks