What's new

Is there a good reason why Columbia/Tristar titles can't all be SUPERBIT? (1 Viewer)

David Coleman

Supporting Actor
I know they like to talke about doubling the data rate but in reality SUPERBIT is not removing the high frequency info (or not to the same degree) from the picture prior to encoding. It has nothing to do with dropping the extras!

Nearly all the studios releases have a higher bitrate than early releases and they all look the better for it (Warner, Fox, New Line, Paramount) so simply junking the extras to explain quality increase doesn't do it for me!

What are your thoughts?

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
It's like a computer company trying to tell you that their computers are better than everyone elses by comparing it with a computer from 1997 and showing you that it's 100 times faster. :rolleyes

well Duh!

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Agreed. Every "first run" DVD from *any* studio including Columbia should be mastered with optimal video/sound quality. If the extras won't fit on disc 1...the put them on disc 2 or on the other side of a dual-layer/dual-side disc (MGM has done this).

At any rate...it's almost hard to buy any C.S. DVD these days as you just have to wonder if it will be re-released in SB form down the road...

-dave

Craig W

Second Unit

Precisely why I have not bought Spidey yet. Not that I think SB is all that, but I think CS is delibrately holding back on the highest possible quality on the initial release. This could as easily backfire on them.

Andy Kim

Second Unit
One reason is because I think the majority would prefer to have a commentary track/extras and give a little on the bit-rate rather than the other way around.
With space limitiations you either have to choose one or the other, especially with the inclusion of DTS.

David Rogers

Supporting Actor
Same reason not all DVDs are OAR.

Marketing Demographics.

And yes, I'll take "normal" DVD quality and extras like commentary and deleted scenes over unadorned 'superbit' quality every day of the week, and twice on Sunday. Content is good.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
It's all a marketing ploy.

If they can't release the best possible product
the first time around then they are doing a
disservice to everyone

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
This is exactly why Sony is quickly rising to the top of my sh-t list when it comes to DVDs and double(and in some cases, triple) dipping. They can't seem to get any release right the first time around these days. Whether it's a lack of supplements, no DTS track, or a weak transfer, there's always something wrong with a Columbia DVD. And at this point, it's starting to look like they're doing this deliberately just to milk consumers out of more money.

David Coleman

Supporting Actor

I agree!! Though I love SUPERBIT quality it shouldn't be reserved for just a special product line. It is intentionally holding back the presentation if you can do it better the first time around and this is a disservice! I really hope Columbia/Tristar gets it together and puts quality first like other studios are and then adds the extras as neeeded!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks