What's new

Is the b&w era of TV on DVD slowly coming to an end? (7 Viewers)

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Virtually every show that was in the midst of a multi-season run in 1965-66 switched from b&w to color. Everything from perennial classics such as Gunsmoke and The Andy Griffith Show to such now-overlooked series as Please Don't Eat the Daisies.

There are too many to list here, but off the top of my head, besides the ones noted above, I can think of:

The Lucy Show
Branded
F Troop
The Beverly Hillbillies
Petticoat Junction
The Fugitive
Bewitched
I Dream of Jeannie
The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet
Superman
The Lone Ranger
Wagon Train
Lost in Space
The Hollywood Palace
The Danny Kaye Show
all the daytime soaps, including the surviving Dark Shadows
all the game shows, including the surviving Password

There are many, many more.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Rob_Ray said:
Virtually every show that was in the midst of a multi-season run in 1965-66 switched from b&w to color. Everything from perennial classics such as Gunsmoke and The Andy Griffith Show to such now-overlooked series as Please Don't Eat the Daisies.

There are too many to list here, but off the top of my head, besides the ones noted above, I can think of:

The Lucy Show
Branded
F Troop
The Beverly Hillbillies
Petticoat Junction
The Fugitive
Bewitched
I Dream of Jeannie
The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet
Superman
The Lone Ranger
Wagon Train
Lost in Space
The Hollywood Palace
The Danny Kaye Show
all the daytime soaps, including the surviving Dark Shadows
all the game shows, including the surviving Password

There are many, many more.
The pilots to Hogan's Heroes and Get Smart were both filmed in b/w

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
The next logical question is, "Are there any shows that were BETTER in B&W before they made the switch to color?"

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Richard V said:
The next logical question is, "Are there any shows that were BETTER in B&W before they made the switch to color?"
Most of them were, because they were fresher in their earlier seasons. Especially Bewitched, Beverly Hillbillies, Andy Griffith and Gunsmoke. The switch to color may have had little to do with it.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Rob_Ray said:
Most of them were, because they were fresher in their earlier seasons. Especially Bewitched, Beverly Hillbillies, Andy Griffith and Gunsmoke.
I think The Beverly Hillbillies hit its stride in Season 4, the first color season. Andy Griffith was much better in black and white; the color seasons felt more like a new show. Bewitched I've never saw that many of the black and white shows to know as only the color ones were syndicated here and Gunsmoke was better, to me anyway, in its later seasons.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Bewitched was almost an entirely different show in its black and white years, due to several factors many of which have little to do with the switch to color. In seasons one and two, it was a romantic comedy similar to "Bell, Book and Candle" in which a young sophisticated witch chooses to throw her former life away when she meets the man of her dreams who happens to be mortal. It was about two people in love making a mixed marriage work. Alice Pearce was a perplexed Gladys Kravitz who thought she was losing her mind when she saw the magic going on across the street. Irene Vernon was the poised, older, sophisticated Boss's wife, Louise Tate. The look of the show was almost noirish, occasionally reminiscent of "I Married a Witch." Tabitha came along mid-way through season two, but as a newborn she was seldom out of her crib.

Season Three went color with major changes. Alice Pearce's death caused Gladys Kravitz to be recast with Sandra Gould, who became much more of a nemesis. Sandra's Gladys never reached for her pills. She was more apt to call the cops. Louise Tate was recast with Kasey Rogers, who played her younger, more casual and fun-loving. The introduction of Tabitha as a toddler meant there were a lot more juvenile hijinks. Clearly, ABC wanted the show to start going after the juvenile audience. With rare exceptions, the emphasis was more on getting laughs with the magic without the poignancy of the tender love story getting in the way. The addition of color meant garish color everywhere, from Endora's makeup and costumes to the whole look of the show. No more "I Married a Witch." Now it might as well have been "Gilligan's Island" as far as the cinematography was concerned.

Even the way Elizabeth Montgomery approached the role was different. She was softer, more like Veronica Lake, in the early years. She was a little more Lucille Ball, with her "Weeeellll!" later on.

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob_Ray said:
Bewitched was almost an entirely different show in its black and white years, due to several factors many of which have little to do with the switch to color. In seasons one and two, it was a romantic comedy similar to "Bell, Book and Candle" in which a young sophisticated witch chooses to throw her former life away when she meets the man of her dreams who happens to be mortal. It was about two people in love making a mixed marriage work. Alice Pearce was a perplexed Gladys Kravitz who thought she was losing her mind when she saw the magic going on across the street. Irene Vernon was the poised, older, sophisticated Boss's wife, Louise Tate. The look of the show was almost noirish, occasionally reminiscent of "I Married a Witch." Tabitha came along mid-way through season two, but as a newborn she was seldom out of her crib.

Season Three went color with major changes. Alice Pearce's death caused Gladys Kravitz to be recast with Sandra Gould, who became much more of a nemesis. Sandra's Gladys never reached for her pills. She was more apt to call the cops. Louise Tate was recast with Kasey Rogers, who played her younger, more casual and fun-loving. The introduction of Tabitha as a toddler meant there were a lot more juvenile hijinks. Clearly, ABC wanted the show to start going after the juvenile audience. With rare exceptions, the emphasis was more on getting laughs with the magic without the poignancy of the tender love story getting in the way. The addition of color meant garish color everywhere, from Endora's makeup and costumes to the whole look of the show. No more "I Married a Witch." Now it might as well have been "Gilligan's Island" as far as the cinematography was concerned.

Even the way Elizabeth Montgomery approached the role was different. She was softer, more like Veronica Lake, in the early years. She was a little more Lucille Ball, with her "Weeeellll!" later on.
I never knew for years it was even filmed in b&w. I walked into someone's house one evening and TV Land or someone was playing one of the early episodes. I should have known it stood to reason it started in b&w.

You're so right about the influx of TOO much color. However, I think a lot of shows went that direction. Sort of a "look what we can do now" sorta thing.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I'm a bit concerned that my final holy grail, The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet, is in a bad spot right now. Don't ask me why I'm concerned. Just know that I'm concerned. Hopefully those concerns fade and we hear some positive news soon.

Gary "also hoping we eventually get the final volume of Steve Canyon - I know John is doing the best he can" O.

PatrickGoodluck

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Patrick
Gary, I figure you must have some valid reason for your concerns based on some inside information, unless it's just a gut feeling. Either way, here's hoping (in the not too distant future) that there's some positive news on the horizon.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Patrick, all I'll say is that I've heard from multiple sources that things are not running as smoothly as hoped. But I'll go no further than that, and instead simply say that we all need to hope for better things going forward.

Gary "what a shame it would be if this project got stymied and stalled out" O.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Am I the only one getting sick of these "I know something you don't know" messages?

If you have something to say, say it. If you CAN'T say it, please don't say anything. Thanks.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Am I the only one that has noticed how much more unfriendly this place has become recently? Seems like bad attitudes rule the day now. It's no wonder I'm posting less and less.

Gary "between the bad attitudes and the people that just want to see their names at the top of the page in multiple threads they've started, it's getting tougher to find the will to engage - I miss the good old days where some of my all-time favorite posters used to be here regularly - sigh..." O.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Joe Lugoff said:
Am I the only one getting sick of these "I know something you don't know" messages?

If you have something to say, say it. If you CAN'T say it, please don't say anything. Thanks.
I look at it as being similar to a reporter protecting his source. I'd often like to know more too but if that's going to 'expose' the person that is giving him info, I can understand why he doesn't lay it all out there. Plus, Gary doesn't owe me or you or anyone any information. If he wants or has to be vague that's the way it goes.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Richard V said:
A better question would be "are there any shows that were better in color than they were in B/W? Not that I can think of. There were so many shows that really dropped off in quality with the switch to color: Man from UNCLE, Lost in Space, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, The Fugitive, Combat, 12 O'Clock High, My Three Sons, Petticoat Junction, Farmer's Daughter, Dr. Kildare among others.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
TravisR said:
I look at it as being similar to a reporter protecting his source. I'd often like to know more too but if that's going to 'expose' the person that is giving him info, I can understand why he doesn't lay it all out there. Plus, Gary doesn't owe me or you or anyone any information. If he wants or has to be vague that's the way it goes.
For those who enjoy the hints, great. But Travis is correct that giving anything more away would then blow the source. These are very sensitive and important matters, these vintage TV releases. :)

For anyone who is annoyed by them, don't read them. Simple as that.

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Brock said:
A better question would be "are there any shows that were better in color than they were in B/W? Not that I can think of. There were so many shows that really dropped off in quality with the switch to color: Man from UNCLE, Lost in Space, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, The Fugitive, Combat, 12 O'Clock High, My Three Sons, Petticoat Junction, Farmer's Daughter, Dr. Kildare among others.
As I've said before, I think it all became a matter of "look what we can do" when things went to color. It became all about showing off a kaleidoscope of colors instead of relying on the story-telling to sell the show.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Gary OS said:
Am I the only one that has noticed how much more unfriendly this place has become recently? Seems like bad attitudes rule the day now. It's no wonder I'm posting less and less.

Gary "between the bad attitudes and the people that just want to see their names at the top of the page in multiple threads they've started, it's getting tougher to find the will to engage - I miss the good old days where some of my all-time favorite posters used to be here regularly - sigh..." O.
I take serious issue with this post, Gary. Trust that it's not a case of "if the shoe fits," but it's obvious by going through the last two months posts that I am one of the folks that you are referring to as one who "just want to see their name at the top of the page in multiple threads they've started." The reason I know that is I went through the threads from the past month, it appears that I have started more threads than anyone else, so it doesn't take a genius to figure out that this refers to me. If not, I ask that you clarify. As a side point, I have followed this forum religiously for several years, but due to some life circumstances I was not ble to post much until now. I truly thought my input would be appreciated and members might like to see more from other voices than the same 20 people that had been posting for years.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
That's right, instead of responding to the criticism, just attack the criticizer. You can do whatever you want, and if anyone dare complain, he's "unfriendly." Well, in my opinion, to which I'm entitled (although you don't seem to think so), I find your "I know something but I can't say what it is" messages, with their "hints" which leave us guessing (wrong, usually) very unfriendly and inconsiderate.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks