What's new

Is the b&w era of TV on DVD slowly coming to an end? (18 Viewers)

Guy Foulard

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
Silverking said:
I got mine from Deep Discount, odd that it is not on the Warner Archive or at Amazon.
It is odd--I can't remember if there have been any previous Warner Archive releases that weren't sold by WA themselves...

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
EdG said:
Sugarfoot arrived today and they were pressed discs not DVD-R.
Good to hear!

On another note, I'm continuing to enjoy Season One of Dr. Kildare. It's a fantastic drama, imho.

Gary "Ed, thanks for the report on Sugarfoot" O.

Reactions: EdG

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I got mine from Importcds and they were pressed discs also. Watching this show for the 1st time and really enjoyed the 1st episode. This is a more lighthearted western ala Maverick.
Hey Gary you will be happy to know the pilot episode had all "real" outdoor settings. No sets :) .
I'm sure this will no hold true in all the episodes but the it was for the 1st.

Guy Foulard said:
Sold! Just ordered this from importcds.com. It's also at Amazon now, but about $13.00 more.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Randy Korstick said:
Hey Gary you will be happy to know the pilot episode had all "real" outdoor settings. No sets :) .
I'm sure this will no hold true in all the episodes but the it was for the 1st.
My memory may be playing tricks on me, but I believe a good friend of mine told me a while back that Sugarfoot was a tad better than some of the other WB westerns in that respect, Randy. So it may hold up more than you think. Then again, I could easily be all wet. My memory isn't what it used to be.

Gary "I'd like to at least sample this series, so I may give this one a twirl myself" O.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Sugarfoot is a fun show which holds up well. Will Hutchins was an underated actor and fit the good natured part well. The mood of the show sort of reminds me of the "funny" episodes of Bonanza where Hoss and Little Joe get into comical situations . And yes, it has a lot in common with Maverick.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
LouA said:
Sugarfoot is a fun show which holds up well. Will Hutchins was an underated actor and fit the good natured part well. The mood of the show sort of reminds me of the "funny" episodes of Bonanza where Hoss and Little Joe get into comical situations . And yes, it has a lot in common with Maverick.
Speaking of Will Hutchins, for those of you who remember, he had an uncreditied part in Clint Eastwood's Magnum Force, as a stake out cop during a shootout. His last line, " I've never shot a man before", I always wondered if that was an homage to his Sugarfoot character.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I'm not sure where I picked up the link to this video, but I thought I'd share it here with my HTF buddies. It's a compilation of several McDonald's commercials starring many of our favorites.

Gary "good to see old 'friends' in this one" O.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Gary OS said:
I'm not sure where I picked up the link to this video, but I thought I'd share it here with my HTF buddies. It's a compilation of several McDonald's commercials starring many of our favorites.

Gary "good to see old 'friends' in this one" O.
Thanks, Gary. I don't recall ever seeing these before; this is great stuff.

Incidentally, the Hillbillies truck is now at the Planet Hollywood at Downtown Disney in Orlando for anyone in the area interested in seeing it. Also, when watching that video one of the sidebar videos was Don Adams selling "the Electronic Detective". Talk about memories! I had one of those as a kid and couldn't get enough of it.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Steve...O said:

Incidentally, the Hillbillies truck is now at the Planet Hollywood at Downtown Disney in Orlando for anyone in the area interested in seeing it. Also, when watching that video one of the sidebar videos was Don Adams selling "the Electronic Detective". Talk about memories! I had one of those as a kid and couldn't get enough of it.
That one, I believe, is a reproduction. The original is on display in the Ozarks here in Missouri.

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/14355

Silverking

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Street
Richard V said:
Speaking of Will Hutchins, for those of you who remember, he had an uncreditied part in Clint Eastwood's Magnum Force, as a stake out cop during a shootout. His last line, " I've never shot a man before", I always wondered if that was an homage to his Sugarfoot character.
Will Hutchins was still doing conventions & the like up until last year when he had health problems. A real nice guy, he even has a little mime he does to the 'Sugarfoot' theme.

He spent many years after his series ended working as a circus ringmaster.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Silverking said:
Will Hutchins was still doing conventions & the like up until last year when he had health problems. A real nice guy, he even has a little mime he does to the 'Sugarfoot' theme.

He spent many years after his series ended working as a circus ringmaster.
I believe he recently had his own radio show playing music from the 30's to the 50's, and interviewing vintage performers . I think the show was online. Hutchins fascination with older music and performers prompted his wife to remark that he lived in the past . Hutcins rerponse? : "The past lives in me". Incidentally, I really liked his other series, Hey Landlord ,and Blondie both from the late 60's. I'm glad Sugarfoot is on DVD.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Ron1973 said:
That one, I believe, is a reproduction. The original is on display in the Ozarks here in Missouri.

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/14355
Great article, Ron. Thank you! Now I'm curious as to what is really in Orlando. This could be a Batmobile like situation where the show had multiple versions of the vehicle. I didn't realize until today that George Barris also did the BH truck.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Steve...O said:
Great article, Ron. Thank you! Now I'm curious as to what is really in Orlando. This could be a Batmobile like situation where the show had multiple versions of the vehicle. I didn't realize until today that George Barris also did the BH truck.
There was a reproduction done for the movie but only the one truck for the entire run of the series. Max Baer, Jr. talked about how tough the thing was to drive....no power steering or power brakes and he said it drove like a tank. I think the reproduction may be the one in Orlando.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Steve...O said:

I had this two and I could never figure the damn thin out. Of, course, I was in 4th grade. I still think it's somewhere in my parent's attic with my Mattel electronic games. I never threw anything out.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
Has anyone ever compiled a complete list of TV series that began production in black-and-white and switched to color before the end of their run? (E.g., "Wagon Train," "Gilligan's Island")

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Vic Pardo said:
Has anyone ever compiled a complete list of TV series that began production in black-and-white and switched to color before the end of their run? (E.g., "Wagon Train," "Gilligan's Island")
I have the following:

Lost in Space

Combat!

Gilligan's Island

The Wild Wild West

Superman

The Fugitive

Lassie (Homemade DVD)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks