What's new

Is the b&w era of TV on DVD slowly coming to an end? (6 Viewers)

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
Strangely, Amazon has charged for me for both seasons of Our Miss Brooks, but I have only received a shipping notice for volume 2. I would have thought that they would have shipped together.
I also remember my brother ordering on my behalf Here's Boomer (The Complete First Season) and Paw Paws, and they too were not shipped together, but they both still arrived!

~Ben

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Thanks, Gary. If you get a chance, once you reach that 1st season Christmas episode, let us know how it looks and if it's cut very much. Thanks again!

Gary "want to get this, but will have to wait for some funds" O.
As I got thru the rest of season 1, volume 1, I'm finding more episodes that are a little shorter than on the first disc -- around 22:30 give or take. All of the episodes appear to be edited the same way all of the network daytime episode reruns were edited back in the day (notably "I Love Lucy" and "The Dick Van Dyke Daytime Show" -- adding additional breaks by getting out of a segment early or joining a segment late but with a clean fade to or from black and a musical cue to give it a "it must have always been like this" feel). For those of you who know these episodes in full the cuts will probably be obvious but they're not jump cuts as was usually done by local stations cutting up prints.
I watched the Christmas episode in full and it was very funny. I have no clue what may have been cut. It runs about 22:15.
One thing that's odd is the closing credits on all the episodes. The copyright dates are all over the place. Some say 1952 or 1953 but quite a few say 1956 so they must have been pulled from later rebroadcasts. One thing about the credits is they are all virtually the same since, like "I Love Lucy," the guest performers' names are not shown. On Lucy there was always a voice over telling who the guest stars were but there's nothing here so you'll have to look them up elsewhere (imdb is incomplete on this as well).
So, for the video quality an A. Audio an A-/B+. You can decide if it's worth it -- I'm happy to have them even missing some content.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
As I got thru the rest of season 1, volume 1, I'm finding more episodes that are a little shorter than on the first disc -- around 22:30 give or take. All of the episodes appear to be edited the same way all of the network daytime episode reruns were edited back in the day (notably "I Love Lucy" and "The Dick Van Dyke Daytime Show" -- adding additional breaks by getting out of a segment early or joining a segment late but with a clean fade to or from black and a musical cue to give it a "it must have always been like this" feel). For those of you who know these episodes in full the cuts will probably be obvious but they're not jump cuts as was usually done by local stations cutting up prints.
I watched the Christmas episode in full and it was very funny. I have no clue what may have been cut. It runs about 22:15.
One thing that's odd is the closing credits on all the episodes. The copyright dates are all over the place. Some say 1952 or 1953 but quite a few say 1956 so they must have been pulled from later rebroadcasts. One thing about the credits is they are all virtually the same since, like "I Love Lucy," the guest performers' names are not shown. On Lucy there was always a voice over telling who the guest stars were but there's nothing here so you'll have to look them up elsewhere (imdb is incomplete on this as well).
So, for the video quality an A. Audio an A-/B+. You can decide if it's worth it -- I'm happy to have them even missing some content.

Thanks for the review! No question these are worth it. Just a matter of money for me.

Gary “hope to get it before Christmas” O.

howard1908

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
howard hughes

A bit dissapointing but even in this condition the current sydication prints of our miss brooks are leagues ahead of the prints that used to run back in the 80s, which ran about 21:30 minutes with all the tag scenes being cut out entirely.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Thanks for the review! No question these are worth it. Just a matter of money for me.

Gary “hope to get it before Christmas” O.

Gary, a couple of years ago I believe I sent you a copy of the OUR MISS BROOKS Christmas show from an official VHS release that had come out back in the day. I had picked it up at a charity thrift store for a dollar. I would be interested to hear how it compares with this new CBS MOD edition, specifically if there is anything missing as I thought the VHS copy was complete? So if you still have that copy I sent and have a chance once you pick up the new set, I think it would be interesting to see how they do or don't correspond.

I agree with Gary16 about that Christmas episode, it is hilarious and one I watch every year in my holiday screenings. I did, however, watch other episodes of the series on MeTV and wasn't too enamored of it. I definitely need to give it another chance sometime, but these prices from CBS sure don't make that prospect encouraging.:(

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
This is just my opinion but I usually avoid DVD sets that have a lot of edited episodes because I have a strong dislike of edited episodes. It's why I won't buy the DVD's of Our Miss Brooks, why I didn't buy the DVD's of My Three Sons seasons 3 and 4, and why I didn't buy the DVD's of Barnaby Jones seasons 2 thru 8. All of these sets are littered with edited episodes. An episode or two being edited I can probably tolerate, but any more than that, forget about it.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
This is just my opinion but I usually avoid DVD sets that have a lot of edited episodes because I have a strong dislike of edited episodes. It's why I won't buy the DVD's of Our Miss Brooks, why I didn't buy the DVD's of My Three Sons seasons 3 and 4, and why I didn't buy the DVD's of Barnaby Jones seasons 2 thru 8. All of these sets are littered with edited episodes. An episode or two being edited I can probably tolerate, but any more than that, forget about it.

You want it right as it was on the networks then, I take it?

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Gary, a couple of years ago I believe I sent you a copy of the OUR MISS BROOKS Christmas show from an official VHS release that had come out back in the day. I had picked it up at a charity thrift store for a dollar. I would be interested to hear how it compares with this new CBS MOD edition, specifically if there is anything missing as I thought the VHS copy was complete? So if you still have that copy I sent and have a chance once you pick up the new set, I think it would be interesting to see how they do or don't correspond.

I do still have that one Glen, and I will absolutely compare it with the new release when I get that set. Had a gigantic vehicle repair bill come in yesterday that I was not expecting so, unfortunately, all my purchasing is coming to a complete halt until the New Year. Simply can't afford anything that hasn't already been pre-ordered (I did have the big Abbott & Costello Shout set ordered and will keep that, along with the Deadline and Michael Shayne sets). So no telling when I'll be able to check that Our Miss Brooks episode out. But when I do, I'll let you know Glen. And thanks again for making me that copy several years back!!!

Gary "I'm thrilled that we've gotten several b&w TV releases this year" O.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
You want it right as it was on the networks then, I take it?

I just want episodes to be complete and uncut with no scenes chopped off. I've been into some of these spy/espionage/detective series lately, shows like Man From UNCLE, It Takes A Thief, Mannix, Cannon, Streets Of San Francisco. The complete series DVD of all of these are very good and have uncut episodes.

phenri

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
I just want episodes to be complete and uncut with no scenes chopped off. I've been into some of these spy/espionage/detective series lately, shows like Man From UNCLE, It Takes A Thief, Mannix, Cannon, Streets Of San Francisco. The complete series DVD of all of these are very good and have uncut episodes.
For me, it depends on how much I like the show. Barnaby Jones has always been one of my holy grails, so I would have purchased it with syndicated cuts or not. I feel the same way about My Three Sons. Only some of the episodes are cut, so making the purchase is worth it for me. It is the only way these shows will be presented. Better to have something than nothing.

Our Miss Brooks is different. Since I am not familiar with the show, and the episodes are cut, I'll probably pass on it.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
For me, it depends on how much I like the show. Barnaby Jones has always been one of my holy grails, so I would have purchased it with syndicated cuts or not. I feel the same way about My Three Sons. Only some of the episodes are cut, so making the purchase is worth it for me. It is the only way these shows will be presented. Better to have something than nothing.

Our Miss Brooks is different. Since I am not familiar with the show, and the episodes are cut, I'll probably pass on it.

It's all in how each person chooses to look at it. Since I have such a huge dislike for edited episodes, I usually avoid DVD sets that are reported to have several or all edited episodes.

But I agree with what you said about depending how much you like the show. I like Gomer Pyle USMC so I did buy those DVD's anyway even though several episodes are edited because of music. The edits really irritate me, but it is what it is. As far as I know, the series isn't going to get released again with every episode uncut and music intact.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
It's all in how each person chooses to look at it. Since I have such a huge dislike for edited episodes, I usually avoid DVD sets that are reported to have several or all edited episodes.

But I agree with what you said about depending how much you like the show. I like Gomer Pyle USMC so I did buy those DVD's anyway even though several episodes are edited because of music. The edits really irritate me, but it is what it is. As far as I know, the series isn't going to get released again with every episode uncut and music intact.

Exactly what I did with Riptide from VEI-- the DVDs from that Canadian outfit of that 1984-86 NBC detective/action/adventure series are generally musically edited (second-season ones, most notably the second-season episode "Be True To Your School", originally having a song by that name in the NBC broadcast), but as I was unfamiliar with Riptide and its music originally, I was able to enjoy it a lot more. Had I been familiar with the music from seeing the NBC editions, Riptide would not have been as good a value for me as it turned out to be.

ponset

Screenwriter
Real Name
scott
I would love to buy OUR MISS BROOKS as I have not seen it,
But with so many cuts I have decided not too.

Plus I love the radio version and will stick with that. I often find that radio is usually superior to the video medium.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I reviewed several seasons of The Odd Couple (and bought the ones I didn't review), but it hurts my heart every time I watch them because I know anything dealing with music has been edited out (and Felix did love his standards).

I shun all of the episodes that I know are seriously compromised, the top of the list being "Strike Up The Band Or Else" and the senseless removal of "Cocktails For Two."

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)

Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C. is a bit of a different story since it was music, not actual content. I can hold my nose and deal with that. Since it appears that the only thing that exists for Our Miss Brooks is edited episodes, I can live with that as well. What I despise, however, is when we know full good and well that broadcast versions are available, as is the case with Barnaby Jones, and somebody cheaped out and went with syndicated releases.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C. is a bit of a different story since it was music, not actual content. I can hold my nose and deal with that. Since it appears that the only thing that exists for Our Miss Brooks is edited episodes, I can live with that as well. What I despise, however, is when we know full good and well that broadcast versions are available, as is the case with Barnaby Jones, and somebody cheaped out and went with syndicated releases.

I agree it's very unfortunate about Barnaby Jones with all the edited/syndicated episodes in seasons 2-8. I have the 1st season DVD and am stopping there because it's the only season that has the uncut episodes.

Tom.W

Second Unit
Just discovered a new streaming app on my roku - TVTime. It has 21 episodes from the first three seasons (the Jean Hagen years) of Make Room for Daddy. There are commercials. The relative completeness (and number of ads) seems to vary by episode. Of the few I checked from the first season, two seemed complete, another was cut. Also, at least some have end credits intact, unlike the episodes streaming on Amazon Prime.

Some of the other shows on the app are You Bet Your Life, Trouble with Father, Meet Corliss Archer (1959), and Burns and Allen.

Glad to see this!

mrz7

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Zuncic
No offense to those who don't buy edited cuts of t.v. shows on DVD......but this is why physical media is on decline. Sure I would love full episodes of t.v. shows (and not to mention original music too), but I rather have something to remember these shows than nothing. Now I love the show "Our Miss Brooks" and I am planning to purchase this one as well (need to pay a doctor bill first unfortunately). Haven't seen the show well over two decades, but truthfully, I probably wouldn't remember what was cut or not from the show. I rather have something to remember from the show than nothing at all. With streaming.....one minute the show is on for a couple of months, than the studio network yanks if from their playlist. With physical media, episodes cut or not cut, I still have something to see.....and with a show like "Our Miss Brooks"....that's "comedy gold". Just pointing out the benefits of physical media :)

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
No offense to those who don't buy edited cuts of t.v. shows on DVD......but this is why physical media is on decline. Sure I would love full episodes of t.v. shows (and not to mention original music too), but I rather have something to remember these shows than nothing. Now I love the show "Our Miss Brooks" and I am planning to purchase this one as well (need to pay a doctor bill first unfortunately). Haven't seen the show well over two decades, but truthfully, I probably wouldn't remember what was cut or not from the show. I rather have something to remember from the show than nothing at all. With streaming.....one minute the show is on for a couple of months, than the studio network yanks if from their playlist. With physical media, episodes cut or not cut, I still have something to see.....and with a show like "Our Miss Brooks"....that's "comedy gold". Just pointing out the benefits of physical media :)

All that is my thoughts exactly about Riptide!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks