1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Is the b&w era of TV on DVD slowly coming to an end?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Gary OS, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Lecagr

Lecagr Second Unit

Lee
    The 1st season of Ben Casey sounds interesting but I will have to delay the purchase for awhile because I just ordered the complete series DVD of Medical Center and that's enough of a dent in my bank account for the time being. :laugh:

Jeff Flugel and Darby67 like this.
  2. timk1041

timk1041 Stunt Coordinator

Timothy
    I don't think the teasers are a huge issue. At least they're in there. The menu screens to me aren't a big deal to me either. The important thing is there are unedited episodes, no changes in background music and overall really good picture and sound quality.

3. Lecagr

Lecagr Second Unit

Lee
    I don't like the misplaced teasers in the season 1 set from Shout Factory, that was a huge error and I threw those discs in the trash, the only one I kept was disc #1 because it has the bonus feature. When viewing season 1 episodes, I use the single sided DVD set from Universal because that set was done correctly.

4. Gary16

Gary16 Screenwriter

Gary
    The first season episodes that run on MeTV also have the teaser after the opening credits.

5. Lecagr

Lecagr Second Unit

Lee
    Well then maybe MeTV is using the incorrectly done 1st season episodes from Shout Factory whenever they air the episodes. The Universal set has it right, teaser first followed by the opening credits.

Gary16 likes this.
  6. Lecagr

Lecagr Second Unit

Lee
    Awesome, I received the Medical Center DVD's today, all 7 seasons, everything arrived in great shape. Four of the seasons have the purple DVD-R's while the other three seasons have the silver/pressed DVD's. Not a problem as long as the discs all play in my DVD player. Will watch some episodes later today.

bmasters9, Jeff Flugel and Flashgear like this.
  7. Flashgear

Flashgear Screenwriter

Randall
    Some more screen caps I took from the new CBS MOD DVD release of Ben Casey season one...

Episode 15, Imagine a Long Bright Corridor (Jan. 15, 1962) Directed by Arthur Hiller, Guest starring Robert Blake, Strother Martin, Cecil Kellaway, Brenda Scott...
    Ben Casey 28.JPG

Ben Casey is having a night shift from hell, losing his cool in explosive ways (as he often did), while dealing with at least a half dozen simultaneous crises of life threatening proportions...

Ben Casey with nurse Vivi Janiss...she's an old battleaxe, but indispensable to the hair trigger doctor...she won't tolerate any guff from the young surgeon, either...
    Ben Casey 27.JPG

Another of Casey's crosses to bear...Robert Blake as a greasy hoodlum who may have some knife wielding delinquents trying to hunt him down this fine night...his attitude is on overdrive...more fuel for Casey's explosive temper...what is it with this kid, anyway?
    Ben Casey 29.JPG
    Ben Casey 30.JPG

Marge Redmond as a floozy and frustrated mother to lovely Brenda Scott...she tells Casey: "Look at her! She's as high as a kite!"...
    Ben Casey 31.JPG

Greaseball Robert Blake is oggling this statuesque nurse...Casey wants to knock his block off...
    Ben Casey 32.JPG
    Ben Casey 33.JPG

Have a relaxing smoke in the hospital waiting room, kid...courtesy of the morgue attendant...ha, ha...them were the days...
    Ben Casey 34.JPG

Kindly old man Cecil Kellaway takes a compassionate interest in Brenda Scott...is she lost in some willful fantasy, or something more?
    Ben Casey 36.JPG

Brenda Scott, 18 at the time, was not only beautiful, but proved to be a very talented actress in the years to come...a fine actress with many memorable performances...
    Ben Casey 40.JPG
    Ben Casey 41.JPG

Strother Martin as the desperate alcoholic in the full throws of the DTs...he begs Casey to be committed to the detox ward in a last painful attempt to sober up...
    Ben Casey 38.JPG
    Ben Casey 39.JPG

No spoilers, but this is another typically fine episode of this landmark medical drama...
    Ben Casey 42.JPG
    Ben Casey 43.JPG

8. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    Great pics, Randall. Thanks!

Gary “keep ‘em coming” O.

9. Message #3749 of 3751 Dec 1, 2019 at 3:41 AM
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2019 at 3:58 AM
    Flashgear

Flashgear Screenwriter

Randall
    Thanks, Gary OS, I just hope that folks spring for the new Ben Casey release, despite it being relatively pricey (especially in comparison to the wonderful new Deadline release by Filmchest)...I desperately hope that CBS continues to release all 5 seasons of Ben Casey, among other things as well...sales do play a role of course...

Tough guy (and future Oscar winning actor) Lee Marvin gets a choice role with which to demonstrate his growing range in Ben Casey season one, A Story to be Softly Told, (episode 16, Jan. 22, 1962) Directed by Alex March, guest starring Lee Marvin, Jean Hagen, Marianne Stewart, Carol Andresen...

Lee Marvin, as Dr. Gerry Bramson, plays a talented surgeon of great repute, but also a philandering womanizer in the face of his struggling marriage to his wife (Jean Hagen) and their shared crisis at home with the growing realization that their son is mentally "retarded", and they're all coming apart at the seams...a desperate, high risk surgery to relieve hydroencephalic pressure on the boy's brain will be attempted...Dr. Zorba provides wise counsel, Dr. Casey blows his top, but then proves to be the best friend possible to the troubled surgeon, who cannot help his son or mend his marriage to a woman that Casey, Zorba and hospital staff hold in high regard as a friend...while witnessing on a daily basis Bramson's philandering, reckless and self destructive behavior...
    Ben Casey 45.JPG
    Ben Casey 44.JPG
    Ben Casey 47.JPG
    Ben Casey 46.JPG
    Ben Casey 48.JPG
    Ben Casey 49.JPG
    Ben Casey 50.JPG
    Ben Casey 52.JPG
    Ben Casey 51.JPG
    Ben Casey 53.JPG
    Ben Casey 54.JPG
    Ben Casey 56.JPG
    Ben Casey 57.JPG
    Ben Casey 58.JPG

Another strong Casey episode, and for Lee Marvin himself, what was probably a welcomed big break for him to show his tender side in the scenes where he ponders his son's tragic reality...there's plenty of rage and bluster as well from the usually intimidating Marvin...but he likely would not have achieved real stardom without having done something like this first...

10. Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter

Jeff Flugel
    Great review and screencaps, Randall! You're slowly winning me over to picking up the first season of Ben Casey, despite my usual aversion to medical dramas - at the very least to see stars of the caliber of Lee Marvin, Telly Savalas, George C. Scott, Strother Martin, Franchot Tone, Jack Klugman, Ed Begley, Keenan Wynn, Cliff Robertson, Eddie Albert, James Franciscus, and Simon Oakland...not to mention all of the strong actresses and starlets on the rise who show up in those episodes.

If only the transfers on the M Squad release look anywhere near as good as the above episode does...

Bert Greene, Jack K, Darby67 and 4 others like this.
  11. JohnHopper

JohnHopper Screenwriter

John Hopper

DP Ted Voigtlander from The Wild Wild West shot 26 episodes of Ben Casey.