1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Is the b&w era of TV on DVD slowly coming to an end?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Gary OS, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Bert Greene

Bert Greene Supporting Actor

I'd definitely like to see "The Big Story" released. VCI put out a couple of tapes (vhs) of it, many years back. Naturally, these were episodes from that final, shot-on-film season, released through syndication, and hosted by Burgess Meredith. I was never entirely sure, but was always under the impression that only this final season was filmed (not unlike "Treasury Men in Action"), and the long network run was 'live.' But I could be quite wrong. "The Big Story" is an interesting series, with a lot of fascinating location-work from what I've seen. Maybe a bit unsettlingly grim, with its gritty 'true crime' semi-documentary approach, but a good little curio.

One "Big Story" episode I particularly recall, which I got separately from a collector back in the 1980s, involved a young psycho roaming the Pennsylvania Turnpike, who shoots and kills truckers as they've parked off-road to catch some sleep. There were some flavorful location scenes inside a real roadside diner. A young Frank Sutton played one of the truckers. Quite well-done (Stuart Rosenberg did produce and direct it, I believe). Although more than a little creepy. I hope "Deadline" maintains this standard of "The Big Story" and "Decoy." Really solid shows, despite obviously limited budgets. If I have any qualm about these series it's that they do veer dangerously close to a kind of unsavory, tabloidish sensationalism from time to time, which can weigh them down, alongside the over-emphasis on psychologically-cracked characters (this latter device becoming so in vogue at that time to the point I can almost view them as unintentional parodies).

Anyway, I plan to order "Deadline" right away.

2. Message #3682 of 3717 Oct 21, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
    Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter

Jeff Flugel
    Oh, don't get me wrong, Gary...I'm happy to see Deadline released (and happy to get more classic Christmas episodes!) From reading the synopses on IMDB, it sounds like most of the episodes feature interesting plots and some good guest talent. Those screencaps Randall kindly posted above indicate that the transfers on the Film Chest release should look great, too. For the $20 price tag, this one's a no-brainer.

Speaking of those two Christmas episodes, it's a curious thing...according to IMDB, "Mad Bomber" was episode 24, but with no specific airdate given (other than "Aired 1959"). I suppose we can assume that it possibly aired sometime in December 1959, but who knows? Then it lists "A Story for Christmas" as episode 27, which aired March 17, 1960. My question is this: can anyone think of any other vintage TV series that aired two Christmas-themed episodes in such close proximity? My best guess is that the IMDB airdate records are incorrect or otherwise incomplete. It seems very odd to air a Christmas episode in March, and in such close succession to another. In any case, no complaints from me, as (like Gary O) I'm pleased to add some more seasonal TV offerings to my collection.

3. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    I know that Mister Peepers had 2 Christmas-themed episodes during its 3rd season in back to back weeks with 3.14 & 3.15. The first revolved around Christmas shopping and the second about Christmas proper. There were a few shows that had this type of setup, with two Christmas-themed shows in the same year. For instance, Ozzie & Harriet were the King & Queen of multiple Christmas episodes in the same season. They had their “Busy Christmas” and the “Day after Christmas” back-to-back In season 5; “The Boys’ Christmas Money” and “Late Christmas Gift” in season 1; again in season 9 with “Girl at the Emporium” and “Piano for the Fraternity” (both with Christmas elements). And we could probably add season 3 from the Nelsons as well, with “Lost Christmas Gift” and “The Fruitcake” (which centered on returning an unwanted Christmas gift just after the holidays).

So while it was rare to see, there were TV shows that incorporated multiple episodes into the same Holiday season.

Gary “on a side note, loved TCM’s tribute to the Nelsons last night” O.

4. Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter

Jeff Flugel
    Thanks for that info, Gary! I knew if anyone could answer my classic TV Christmas episode question, it would be you. :)

5. Gary16

Gary16 Screenwriter

Gary
    Ben Casey S1V1 Disc Four
    Episode 13 - 50:25 (no Bing or AMA logo)
    Episode 14 - 50:30 (has the Bing logo but no AMA)
    Episode 15 - 50:26 (no Bing or AMA)
    Episode 16 - 50:28 (has Bing but no AMA)
    On to S1V2.

Flashgear, Jeff Flugel and bmasters9 like this.
  6. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    Why would alternating episodes have alternating presentations (one having the Bing Crosby and AMA logos, the next not)?

7. Gary16

Gary16 Screenwriter

Gary
    Because different editors work on different episodes preparing them for the dvd. I’ve found that on other releases too. On the “Sam Benedict” dvd set for example some episodes included the bumpers in and out of the breaks while most did not.

8. ClassicTVMan1981X

ClassicTVMan1981X Screenwriter

Benjamin
    I think the omission of the AMA logo has to do with the AMA itself.

~Ben

Jeff Flugel and bmasters9 like this.
  9. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Producer

Hopefully the other 37 episodes of the series will be worthwhile anyway.

10. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Producer

According to the 1984 BIB book, listing shows in syndication, there was a package of 39 episodes from the final season offered by Fusco Entertainment, the company which handled the Official Films library. When Joseph Fusco passed away, his properties were scattered to the four winds.

Darby67, Flashgear and Tom.W like this.
  11. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Producer

Hopefully with the Arnold Perl involvement, we will get some socially relevant stories in this show, considering his involvement with those wonderful 60s shows you mention. It would be nice to see something more than the usual cops and robbers. The fact that it was shot in New York gives me hope that will be the case as the NY shows are always grittier and more realistic than the ones shot in LA LA Land.

Darby67 and Flashgear like this.
  12. Tom.W

Tom.W Stunt Coordinator

Most of mine are from the 7th and 8th seasons, a few from the earlier seasons. For example, "Rex Newman", and "Bus Bergen" which I purchased from VCI.

Flashgear likes this.
  13. Professor Echo

Professor Echo Screenwriter

Glen

Randall, you got a lot of likes on this post, but it doesn't appear that anyone took the opportunity to give you a shout out with thanks for the hard work and dedicated research you expended in compiling all the truly interesting and very useful information about the series and the upcoming DVD release. I think I speak for many of us here when I say that your efforts are greatly appreciated and that your posts consistently prove beneficial in many ways, not the least of which is your infectious enthusiasm for vintage TV. Thanks again!

14. Flashgear

Flashgear Screenwriter

Randall
    Thank you for the kind compliments, Glen! I felt I needed to put some effort into researching Deadline, after first confusing it with the excellent Wire Service, and then discovering that there was very good reason for confusing them together...both produced by the same company as Decoy, and based on the very same premise, and to some degree, on the same scenarios...which led me to wonder if Official Films, the rights holders of the day (now in the public domain), had ever combined the two shows for a more saleable syndication package.

Like everyone here, I'm thrilled and somewhat disoriented by the unexpected surge in classic B+W TV on DVD releases...Public Defender, Our Miss Brooks, Ben Casey, more of My 3 Sons, and now this quite obscure series Deadline...from all indications, a quality show that is similar in production values to Film Chest's wonderful complete Decoy, and another NYC filmed show with what appears to be extensive 1959 NYC location filming to boot!

Wouldn't it be great if we could get some quality DVD releases out of another 1950s independent TV production company?...CALIFORNIA NATIONAL PRODUCTIONS (circa 1956-61), who much like the great ZIV and OFFICIAL FILMS, was a very successful independent, producing 39 episode first run syndicated shows like Silent Service, Adventures of Hiram Holliday, Frontier, Boots and Saddles, Jim Backus Show, Flight, The Blue Angels, Pony Express, Union Pacific, Not For Hire and R.C.M.P....the only one we have, and that one a little compromised in print sources, was the Timeless release of Lawless Years...I imagine that some of these are now P.D.

15. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    I'd be all in for many of those, Randall. Especially R.C.M.P.

Gary "anything having to do with Mounties" O.

16. Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter

Jeff Flugel
    Just an FYI, guys...Deadline has dropped to a pre-order price of $11.99 on Amazon.

17. Gary16

Gary16 Screenwriter

Gary
    Miss Brooks has arrived and yes she’s cut but looks terrific. Based on the first disc the shows each run between approximately 23:15 and 23:22 No signs of any speed up.

18. upperco

upperco Stunt Coordinator

Jackson Upperco
    Is the entry excluded from the syndication package ("Public Property on Parade") included, making for a total of all 38 first season episodes?

19. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    Thanks, Gary. If you get a chance, once you reach that 1st season Christmas episode, let us know how it looks and if it's cut very much. Thanks again!

Gary "want to get this, but will have to wait for some funds" O.

Bert Greene and Jeff Flugel like this.
  20. Arthur Powell

Arthur Powell Second Unit

Arthur
    Strangely, Amazon has charged for me for both seasons of Our Miss Brooks, but I have only received a shipping notice for volume 2. I would have thought that they would have shipped together.