What's new

Is MGM releasing an unrated ROBOCOP SE? (1 Viewer)

CameronS

Supporting Actor
I just picked up the current MGM theatrical version of Robocop on DVD, and happened to read the review for it on DVDFILE:
Has this been announced? I don't remember hearing anything about it , but it could have slipped past me. After doing a search here on the HTF, I couldn't find much more info as well.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
The uncut version is already available in Region 2 (which is also a special edition... the US SE will probably be the same disc). The Criterion edition also had the longer cut and a great Paul Verhoeven commentary which will NOT be on the new edition.

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit
I HOPE it is not the same disc. The R2 disc uses non-seamless branching, so the picture always freezes for short intervals when it branches. I want MGM to either use only the longer cut, or use seamless branching, on the R1 disc.

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
Criterion edition also had the longer cut and a great Paul Verhoeven commentary which will NOT be on the new edition.
But there is a commentary from Verhoeven and the writer (the same participants on the Criterion LD). Whether it is the same or not, I don't know, but I can't imagine it would be greatly different.

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor
It's out in Region 4 now as well. The commentary is a new one. The eventual Region 1 edition will likely handle the 'branching' issue between the two cuts the best, however.

Malcolm Cleugh

Second Unit
I think the branching delay depends upon your make of player. The problem arises because the deleted scenes are stored on the DVD at the end of the film, whereas the places they are inserted are early on so they are on different layers.

On my two Sony players with the R2 SE the delay is not noticeable, however I have seen comments that on some makes of player it takes time as the player changes layers and hunts for the right scene.

Therefore depends if MGM in R1 master the disk so the director cut scenes are close on the disk to where they are inserted in the theatrical cut.

Also the SE is 1.85 anamorphic rather than the 1.66 non-anamorphic director approved ratio of the Criterion (which I know upsets some people).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks