Is it worth pre-ordering Extended LOTR Gift Box?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian_Linnen, Jun 14, 2002.

1. Brian_Linnen

Brian_Linnen Stunt Coordinator

Do you think it is worth pre-ordering now or are they going to make so many of these that they will show up at Circuit City and various whole-sale clubs for cheaper?

Thanks!
    bpl

2. Gregory Pauswinski

Gregory Pauswinski Supporting Actor

That's a good question. Generally the pre-order discounts last right up until the DVD is released so by then the store prices have generally been leaked out. I'm going to hold off and see what price this box is going to sell for in the store. Also for a set like this, you've gotta figure that shipping will cost you more too.

Gregory

3. RobertCharlotte

RobertCharlotte Supporting Actor

I'll be doing pretty much the same thing as Gregory.

4. David James

David James Stunt Coordinator

I've stopped pre-ordering from the Internet. Prices are almost always cheaper at B&M's and I never have received a pre-order on the release date, maybe it's because I always used the cheapest shipping. [​IMG]
    My last pre-order was the live Springsteen DVD and it didn't come until a week after street date, plus it was cheaper at Best Buy.

5. John Bryant

John Bryant Second Unit

I got it for less than $43 shipped, I doubt any b&m will beat that.

6. Brian_Linnen

Brian_Linnen Stunt Coordinator

Cool! Thanks for the insight! I was sort of afraid that it might a limited thing and they were only going to make as many as were ordered. I'll also hold off and do my best to get ahold on one in a real store.

Although I guess if I could get one for $43 like John, I'd have to jump on that!

bpl

7. Alan Benson

Alan Benson Stunt Coordinator

I normally don't preorder online anymore, but.... Amazon has a price on it right now that's much lower than anywhere else, including DDD... Between that, a coupon and share-the-love, I agree with John that it's unlikely any B&M will match it... I can always cancel if things change...

8. Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham Screenwriter

GET LOTR FOR < $43 SHIPPED. here's how....
    Pre-order it from Amazon using the coupon CHNKBKAMZNLT to receive $5 off. When you finalize your order you have the option of sending a 10% discount on the same item to a friend. Find a buddy (or fellow HTFer) that is going to pre order LOTR and send them the discount. You pay $48, they pay just under $43. Now when they order it they can send you back a 10% discount. If you wanted to (and I don't approve of this) you could cancel your original order and re-order using both coupons to get it for $42.93 shipped. I HIGHLY doubt any B+M will beat that. That's equal to $40.50 at a B+M (plus tax).

9. John Bryant

John Bryant Second Unit

Yeah, a b&m here would have to retail it at $39.99 to beat the price I got it at, and I really don't see that happening.

10. Daniel P

Daniel P Stunt Coordinator

USD $40.29 (which is more than half the RRP in Australia)

That's what I'm paying...

Lucky I have a multi-region player!

11. Sukhbir A

Sukhbir A Auditioning

I'm buying this set and the E.T. Ultimate Gift set and I got them both using Amazon and Share the Love. Combined with the 10 off of a 75 dollar purchase, and free shipping (you have to wait for E.T.) this comes out to 82.19, or about 41 dollars a piece. Good enough for me.

12. ErikG

ErikG Cinematographer

13. DeepakJR

DeepakJR Second Unit

anyone here thats gonna preorder the gift set please email the 10% oof and ill gladly email 10% back[​IMG]
    [email protected]
    l8rz,
    Deepak Jr.

14. Kenneth_C

Kenneth_C Second Unit

Ditto. However, you probably won't have to wait for E.T.
    When I chose the "Group in as few shipments as possible" option (in order to get the Free Shipping discount), my order page indicated that there would be a minimum of two shipments -- one for each item. I think, because of the size of the items, they won't ship them together.

15. Scott Bell

Scott Bell Stunt Coordinator

DeepakJR
    You've got mail [​IMG]

16. DeepakJR

DeepakJR Second Unit

thx scott, i ordered it for $42.93 USD shipped. i sent u 10% back[​IMG]
    thx, l8rz,
    Deepak Jr.

17. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

Just ordered it from Amazon for $32.93 shipped thanks to the $5 off coupon, STL and Vividence. I was only going to get the 4 disc release, but for this price I'll take the 5 disc one. I think you may see B&M's beating online stores for the 2 and 4 disc versions of this flik, but I'm not so sure about the $80 5 disc set.

DeepakJR, sent you a STL.

18. DeepakJR

DeepakJR Second Unit

hey brian, whada u mean by vividence? and thx for the STL, but i already got one [​IMG]
    thx,l8rz,
    Deepak Jr.

19. Steve Lockwood

Steve Lockwood Stunt Coordinator

I would order this but for some reason when ever I order online I get the dvd case in poor condition. I like it better when I can look through a whole bunch of discs and pick out a pristine one.

20. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter