What's new

Is it worth pre-ordering Extended LOTR Gift Box? (1 Viewer)

Brian_Linnen

Stunt Coordinator
Do you think it is worth pre-ordering now or are they going to make so many of these that they will show up at Circuit City and various whole-sale clubs for cheaper?

Thanks!
bpl

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
That's a good question. Generally the pre-order discounts last right up until the DVD is released so by then the store prices have generally been leaked out. I'm going to hold off and see what price this box is going to sell for in the store. Also for a set like this, you've gotta figure that shipping will cost you more too.

Gregory

David James

Stunt Coordinator
I've stopped pre-ordering from the Internet. Prices are almost always cheaper at B&M's and I never have received a pre-order on the release date, maybe it's because I always used the cheapest shipping. :D
My last pre-order was the live Springsteen DVD and it didn't come until a week after street date, plus it was cheaper at Best Buy.

Brian_Linnen

Stunt Coordinator
Cool! Thanks for the insight! I was sort of afraid that it might a limited thing and they were only going to make as many as were ordered. I'll also hold off and do my best to get ahold on one in a real store.

Although I guess if I could get one for $43 like John, I'd have to jump on that!

bpl

Alan Benson

Stunt Coordinator
I normally don't preorder online anymore, but.... Amazon has a price on it right now that's much lower than anywhere else, including DDD... Between that, a coupon and share-the-love, I agree with John that it's unlikely any B&M will match it... I can always cancel if things change...

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
GET LOTR FOR < $43 SHIPPED. here's how....
Pre-order it from Amazon using the coupon CHNKBKAMZNLT to receive $5 off. When you finalize your order you have the option of sending a 10% discount on the same item to a friend. Find a buddy (or fellow HTFer) that is going to pre order LOTR and send them the discount. You pay $48, they pay just under $43. Now when they order it they can send you back a 10% discount. If you wanted to (and I don't approve of this) you could cancel your original order and re-order using both coupons to get it for $42.93 shipped. I HIGHLY doubt any B+M will beat that. That's equal to $40.50 at a B+M (plus tax).

John Bryant

Second Unit
Yeah, a b&m here would have to retail it at $39.99 to beat the price I got it at, and I really don't see that happening.

Daniel P

Stunt Coordinator
USD $40.29 (which is more than half the RRP in Australia)

That's what I'm paying...

Lucky I have a multi-region player!

Sukhbir A

Auditioning
I'm buying this set and the E.T. Ultimate Gift set and I got them both using Amazon and Share the Love. Combined with the 10 off of a 75 dollar purchase, and free shipping (you have to wait for E.T.) this comes out to 82.19, or about 41 dollars a piece. Good enough for me.

ErikG

Senior HTF Member
I'm buying this set and the E.T. Ultimate Gift set and I got them both using Amazon and Share the Love. Combined with the 10 off of a 75 dollar purchase, and free shipping (you have to wait for E.T.) this comes out to 82.19, or about 41 dollars a piece. Good enough for me.
Same here...this was a GREAT deal indeed.

Kenneth_C

Second Unit
Ditto. However, you probably won't have to wait for E.T.
When I chose the "Group in as few shipments as possible" option (in order to get the Free Shipping discount), my order page indicated that there would be a minimum of two shipments -- one for each item. I think, because of the size of the items, they won't ship them together.

DeepakJR

Second Unit
Real Name
Deepak
thx scott, i ordered it for $42.93 USD shipped. i sent u 10% back;)
thx, l8rz,
Deepak Jr.

Brian E

Screenwriter
Just ordered it from Amazon for $32.93 shipped thanks to the $5 off coupon, STL and Vividence. I was only going to get the 4 disc release, but for this price I'll take the 5 disc one. I think you may see B&M's beating online stores for the 2 and 4 disc versions of this flik, but I'm not so sure about the $80 5 disc set.

DeepakJR, sent you a STL.

DeepakJR

Second Unit
Real Name
Deepak
hey brian, whada u mean by vividence? and thx for the STL, but i already got one :)
thx,l8rz,
Deepak Jr.

Steve Lockwood

Stunt Coordinator
I would order this but for some reason when ever I order online I get the dvd case in poor condition. I like it better when I can look through a whole bunch of discs and pick out a pristine one.

Brian E

Screenwriter
hey brian, whada u mean by vividence?
http://www.vividence.com
You evaluate websites and they give you a $10 Amazon GC. I don't get surveys as much as I used to, but they still send me probably 6-8 a year or so. It usually takes about 1/2 hour to do one. Not great pay, but as a former web developer I find it kind of fun most of the time. I assume you can still sign up. I signed up when they started way back and now just go there when they email me a survey opportunity. It's one of the few "deals" that's still around from the old days, though scaled back from what it once was.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks