What's new

Is it ok to unhook the optical input when it has a signal? (1 Viewer)

Brian McL

Auditioning
I have my PS2 hooked upt to my Denon receiver, with the digital input and analog. A couple of my games won't send sound out through the optical cable, onbly throught the RCA cables. If I just unhook the optical cable with the PS2 on and the Receiver on will it cause any damage to the receiver taking it out?

Bob Kavanaugh

Second Unit
I don't see why you would need to remove the optical cable. I used to have a ps2 and I had the optical and analog audio hooked up to two different inputs on my receiver, both are output simultaneously. You then only need to switch inputs on your receiver to go between digital and analog audio.

I assume of course that you have the digital and analog hooked into the same input and while the digital is in, your receiver ignores the analog.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
If you set it to auto-detect, a Denon will detect analog and/or digital signals and automatically switch to the correct one. I have the analog and digital outputs from my cable box hooked up to the same (TV) input of my Denon. Some channels only output analog. When the Denon sees this, it defaults to analog input. When I choose a digtal channel, the Denon automatically switches to the digital input and plays the digital bitstream. No fuss, no muss. This is for the 3801, but I'd be surprised if the other models did not have this feature.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks