What's new

Is it just me... (1 Viewer)

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
...or are new faults being discovered/invented/renamed on DVD transfers as time goes by?

I remember when I first got into DVD back in 1998, the only causes for concern on the digital end of a transfer were digital artifacting and (occasionally) pixelisation.

Soon, aliasing came into play, then edge enhancement started being mentioned, now I keep hearing about mosquito noise, blocking, moire patterning, smearing, ringing, etc.

Does this not strike anyone else as amusing? It seems that with all the progression and refinement of DVD and telecine technology, it only leaves more problems to bitch about!

Ryan L B

Supporting Actor
to the average person, most dvd pictures are perfect. I can't tell that Gladiator looks soft, the minor problems with jaws, halloween, and so on. The only thing i notice is if there is bad dots comeing up alot.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
I think you have an interesting point in that if the new theatrical-to-DVD releases today came out in 1997, every one of them would receive great praise and perfect scores. But since so many DVDs look great nowadays, reading reviews that stated "This DVD looks and sounds great." again and again would get boring...so reviewers do try to look closer and examine anything that remotely can be viewed as a flaw.
So to answer your question...yes, I am mildly amused by this fact. :)

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
Agreed. Really the only thing I notice in DVD transfers is graininess. Other than that I could care less.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
DVD said:
"Moire", "smearing" and "ringing" also predate DVD and were commonly used in discussing LD. By contrast, some terms that were common with LD have virtually disappeared from use because the corresponding phenomenon was virtually eliminated with a digital medium. Notable example: "color noise".
"Mosquito noise" and "blocking" have been around since DVD first appeared. They're byproducts of MPEG compression; so they're newer, but by no means recent.
M.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alianalbuck
Recent bookmarks