What's new

is box size critical? (1 Viewer)

steve_gal

Auditioning
The reason i am asking is that i am about to start my first sub build and i have been advised by various people with more knowledge than myself to use different size boxes.
If i input the sizes in design programmes all that seems to happen is the f3 and box frequency change,i know that the volume and ports are used to design the sub to suit your needs, but if lets say at 8ft^ the f3 is 21.8hz and box freq is 20.4hz but at 6ft^3 f3 23hz- box freq 21.9 does this small change in freq make any real difference in use?
In threads i have seen it stated that the bracing and drivers have to be taken into account when working out volume.If i do this i.e .7ft^3 it only seems to make a 1 or 2hz difference so why is this critical?
Can anyone put me on the right track please?

Travis Cain

Stunt Coordinator
It'll make a difference if you're looking at a SPL meter and step through each frequency in 1hz steps.. It's highly unlikely you'd notice any difference in that small of a variation during actual listening..

That's just my opinion.. Some people have very critical ears and may claim they can hear a difference..

It's kinda like a drag racer.. You can plop one out on the track and it's gonna kick butt.. But we all know they don't just do that.. They tweak all the little details based on temperature, altitude, blah blah to get the absolute maximum/optimum performance.. Do you think your average driver could tell the difference between before/after the tweaking? Unlikely.. But an experienced drag racer of 10 years probably could..

So it really boils down to your ears..

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member

In the real world, given the effects of room gain, this will be basically inaudible

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks