What's new

Irritated by excessive Wire- Fu ! (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Anthony
Does every bleeding fight in every bleeding action movie now have to be wire-bleeding- fu ? Let's face it, it always looked s**t but it had a certain underground charm when the Chinese were doing it. Now Ben Affleck's doing it ! Chubby white guys spinning around in mid-air ? Right.
The UNDERWORLD trailers the last straw ! The only thing this film looks like it has going for it is Kate Beckinsale's arse in leather !
I've already bought my ticket - hahahahahahaha !! :angry:

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
Kiss of the Dragon had very little wire work...which was rather nice...and the fact that its just a great action movie...

Underworld looks cool...

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
The problem is that people are using it where it's not appropriate, and that they're not doing it well. When Yuen Wo-Ping did the Matrix, they spent 5 months learning the choreography and half that time alone just learning how to do it properly. The best most of these people are getting/doing is 3-4 weeks of baseline training.

Do it right or don't do it at all. I understand this is a big reason why Jackie Chan is starting his school, he's probably sick of seeing it done so badly :)

AJ Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
AJ
It's ironic that Jackie's next movie The Medallion will feature heavy wire-work so we'll see how good he'll be when pulling it off. It could be a nice advertisement for his school.

Jet Li's next movie Danny the Dog is in the same vain as Kiss of the Dragon in which it will barely use any wirework at all. It's being choreographed by Yuen Woo Ping so I'm hoping they have collaborated to give a hard-core Fist of Legend type feel to the fight scenes.

Hunter P

Screenwriter
What are you guys talking about? :confused: I didn't see any wires in those movies. Obviously you have no real understanding of true martial arts. Improved jumping ability is just one of the many feats you can accomplish when you access your hidden powers.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
The UNDERWORLD trailers the last straw ! The only thing this film looks like it has going for it is Kate Beckinsale's arse in leather !
:confused:

I don't see much wire-fu in the trailer. Wire work, yes, but nothing you wouldn't expect from supernatural creatures battleing it out.

Jason

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
I thought the use of wire work on Fatbastard in Goldmember was just too much. :D

But seriously, the absolute worst wire-fu of recent memory would be Drew Barrymore's last fight in the first Charlies Angels. Every single move she did looked like she was a doll hanging on a string being pulled around. That is my definition of 'not using it correctly'.

Matthew_Millheiser

Supporting Actor
What are you guys talking about? I didn't see any wires in those movies. Obviously you have no real understanding of true martial arts. Improved jumping ability is just one of the many feats you can accomplish when you access your hidden powers.
Oh my god, you don't know how much I needed that. :) Thank you!!!!

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
the absolute worst wire-fu of recent memory would be Drew Barrymore's last fight in the first Charlies Angels. Every single move she did looked like she was a doll hanging on a string being pulled around.
Glad someone mentioned that; it was horrible. You might be able to acquire the "skill" to make fantastic leaps, but to actually defy gravity and semi-levitate -- that's something else.

At least with Underworld, we're talkin' supernatural creatures, so they can bend the rules more. But from I've seen of the trailer, it looked pretty "normal". I liked how they handled Selene jumping off the building. And besides, Kate Beckinsale in leather pants, shooting guns and kicking ass -- I'm there regardless.

//Ken

Dennis Pagoulatos

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dennis
And don't forget the topper to the horrible scene:

"And thaths kickin yer athhhh..."

You lisping freakshow, UGH!! :angry: :thumbsdown:

-Dennis

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
Maybe its just me but I enjoyed the fight in Charlies Angels...or maybe Im just in love with Drew... :D

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
I think it's the second one :D She's the only tolerable part of that movie :emoji_thumbsup:

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
The thing with Charlie's Angels is that it gets by on the fact that you aren't supposed to take any of it seriously. That's why I kinda give it a pass, since it was all way over the top anyways.

Jason

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
I'd rather see an actual person suspended by wires (The Matrix) than a computer-generated character fly through the air and spin-around like Sonic the Hedgehog (Blade 2).

Note that I used the word "rather". In a best case scenario I'd never have to look at it again (But then again, I just saw a commercial for Kill Bill, so it ain't going away).:frowning:

Darren Haycock

Second Unit
"Prepare for the ultimate in wire-fightin' manuevers! I just hope my wire-fightin' team is reaadddyyyy...."

Love that scene!:D

JoeMKal

Stunt Coordinator
two words.... Ong Bak,the best wire fu movie of all time, also the best Thai movie of all time imho, import it now

but I would have to agree, it seems like everyone has jumped on the wire-fu bandwagon

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully wire-fu will be a fad that people will look back on from 2013 and say "What the hell were they thinking?" kind of like Afros and avocado appliances and Rod McKuen.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
I've got to admit that even though I really like the movies, the wirework in the X-Men movies bugs me. It's like they spend most of the time in the movies doing a relatively realistic take on mutant powers, but then once Wolverine starts fighting everyone gets all floaty. It just doesn't fit.

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
In my opinion it's all about the way it's shot and kept to a realistic amount. In the Matrix films I found that everything they did looked great and not once did I think, who that wire held him/her up. I personally think the start of Charlies Angels was done very well, but as the movie went on it was a lot worse. And the sequal just does things that look horribly fake. Another bad one I just saw was Bulletproof Monk, just terrible how they abused that.
This is a great thing that hollywood has now adapted too but it is being abused and is looking just plain bad. When put in the right hands though, it can be some of the best stuff ever(matrix).
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks