What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Ironside Seasons 5-8 on Via Vision (1 Viewer)

morasp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
Just wondering if anyone purchased the Ironside collection 2 from Via Vision and if it was region free? The reviews on Amazon are conflicting.

morasp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
Thanks everyone, it looks like they're good for region 1.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your e-mail.
Yes, it will play in your player.

Best regards,
Via Vision/Lester

Sent: Monday, 11 April 2022 8:49 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: Website enquiry - Ironside DVD seasons 5-8

I live in the United States and it is region 1.

Sent from Mail for Windows

Sent: Sunday, April 10, 2022 10:52 PM
Cc: 'lester'
Subject: RE: Website enquiry - Ironside DVD seasons 5-8

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your e-mail.
May we know where are you based or what region code your player is?

Best regards,
Via Vision/Lester

morasp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
Steve, I did buy this set a few weeks ago. I am thrilled to have it. And it definitely plays in my region 1 dvd player.

Go for it, and enjoy!
Thanks, I had given up on ever owning seasons 5-8, same with McCloud which I recently picked up. Any thoughts on the episodes themselves, run time, PQ, sound?

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
Thanks, I had given up on ever owning seasons 5-8, same with McCloud which I recently picked up. Any thoughts on the episodes themselves, run time, PQ, sound?

They seem comparable to the Shout releases of seasons 1-4. Picture quality is fine though not pristine, and run times are slightly over 48 minutes like seasons 1-4. I had heard the Shout releases were time-sped so I infer the Via Vision releases are as well b/c the episodes seem to be complete. They included some vintage interviews as extras.

McCloud was another very nice surprise I picked up from VEI. I love that they included the Four-In-One episodes in their original hour long format.

morasp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
They seem comparable to the Shout releases of seasons 1-4. Picture quality is fine though not pristine, and run times are slightly over 48 minutes like seasons 1-4. I had heard the Shout releases were time-sped so I infer the Via Vision releases are as well b/c the episodes seem to be complete. They included some vintage interviews as extras.

McCloud was another very nice surprise I picked up from VEI. I love that they included the Four-In-One episodes in their original hour long format.
Received McCloud last night and the hour long episodes had better picture quality than I was expecting. I have also ordered Ironside and can't wait to receive it.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Just wondering if anyone purchased the Ironside collection 2 from Via Vision and if it was region free? The reviews on Amazon are conflicting.
I did and they seem to be, but I will tell you they are definitely not remastered, they look ok no t great.

morasp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
I did and they seem to be, but I will tell you they are definitely not remastered, they look ok no t great.
Wish it got the same treatment as Hawaii Five-O but to be honest after thinking I would never get the last four seasons I was thrilled to receive the set. It includes some nice extras including the return of ironside and the picture and sound are good but not great.

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
Only problem I've had is that the menu music plays but sometimes the screen stays black and I have to click on it (I watch on my computer's DVD drive) and the picture eventually comes up (whether my clicking causes it or it would have eventually come up on its own is unknown)...Hard to select an episode when the screen is black. Once the episode plays it's OK.

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
Wish it got the same treatment as Hawaii Five-O but to be honest after thinking I would never get the last four seasons I was thrilled to receive the set. It includes some nice extras including the return of ironside and the picture and sound are good but not great.
The Priest-Killer movie is also an extra since it's never been released with the Ironside series (I only saw it once around 1990 when a local station showed it as an independent TV movie).

morasp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
The Priest-Killer movie is also an extra since it's never been released with the Ironside series (I only saw it once around 1990 when a local station showed it as an independent TV movie).
That's the episode I'm watching next Tuesday.

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
A word of caution about the "Downhill All the Way" episode. I first noticed this back in the 1970s during the syndication run on a local station (4 years at the same time!). When editing the original two-hour broadcast for reruns as a two-parter, they made a strange move: one scene (fairly important since it gives Ironside a clue as to who the initial guilty person is) is not included in either Part 1 or Part 2! Instead it is included ONLY in the teaser for Part 2 which otherwise includes scenes from Part 1.

ViaVision implies that the two-hour version is the original NBC broadcast. It clearly isn't since the words Part 1 and Part 2 appear at the start of each hour with guest-star credits also at the start of the second hour and "To Be Continued" at the end of the first hour. It is just Part 1 and Part 2 edited together removing the closing theme from Part 1 and the opening theme from Part 2 which makes its inclusion on the DVD pointless. (The two-hour version also seems to be speeded up when compared to the two-part version.) The only difference I see is that acts 1 and 2 of Part 1 are shown without a break in the two-hour version.

Anyway, the scene I mentioned above is only included in the scenes-from-part-1 teaser on the two-part version. Anyone watching the two-hour version will not see this scene (and it's been edited from the original broadcast as well as if it was actually seen in Part 1 as it should have been). Also, for some unexplained reason, the actual teaser shown on the two-hour NBC broadcast can only be seen at the beginning of Part 1. The two-hour version on the DVD starts immediately with the theme music.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrharris
Recent bookmarks