What's new

intersting news on LOTR status... (1 Viewer)

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
It will be hard to pass when these mothers are actually in the store though!
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif
...but once you've seen the Extended Cut it's hard to go back.

I said I wouldn't buy the Original-Original Star Wars Trilogy last Fall either when they came out in non-anamorphic video...but I caved in rather quickly. Even drove about 80 miles to a nearby Best Buy to get the freakin' collector's Tin. :)

Time will tell...

MarekM

Supporting Actor

if it will be Blu-ray version then on PS3 you can go thru HDMI to receiver capable of LPCM7.1

I think same can be applied to Toshiba.... but you have to go thru HDMI, with LPCM to receiver....
(or on Toshiba you can get decoded dolbyTrueHD to lpcm only from analog outs ?) I don't have hdmi
receiver yet, so I can't test it hmm, but I am sure you can get full 7.1 over hdmi to hdmi 1.1 receiver

Marek

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
The ONLY thing confirmed is that they are working on the LOTR trilogy.

Everything else being discussed here is rumor and speculation. I'll wait until the studio confirms specs before I get excited or upset.:)

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
AVRs with HDMI 1.3 & Dolby TrueHD decoding are arriving on shelves this quarter (according to CES).

I could forsee buying the theatrical Fellowship and using the Mines of Moria sequence purely as demo material, but I wouldn't watch it for the movie.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover

True, true Tino. I'm guilty for already thinking this is a no go deal and we really know nothing official yet. Thanks for reminding us. :)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz

Actaully HDMI 1.3 will be out this year and there was a number of prototype recievers being shown. Denon said in the interview that they planed on being on of the first companies to market. So the only people to benafit from the 7.1 LOTR discs will be people with the new recievers and any HD player with HDMI 1.3. Both Dolby True HD and DTS-HD Master Audio can do 7.1 audio. So its just a matter of having the hardware to player it back. I think it great that they did not put a 5.1 track on the HD release of LOTR's. And anyone who does not own a lossless decoder that can do 7.1 will most likely hear it downmiked to 5.1 or 6.1 surround.

Companies like:
Sony
Denon
Onkyo
Sherwood Newcastle

Where talking about HDMI 1.3 and the new lossless decoding being in there product slated to come out this year. I can't wait to replace my aging Yamaha RX-V995. :D

MarekM

Supporting Actor

Dave, you can have 7.1 now right ? is Toshiba sending upacked 7.1 LPCM thru hdmi in same way as PS3 or not ? yes PS3 have hdmi 1.3.
so for now only PS3 is capable of sending lpcm7.1 to hdmi capable receiver ?

Marek

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand

No. LPCM 7.1 can be sent over a device with hdmi v1.1 or higher.

HDMI 1.3 or higher will allow the new codecs in their native forms to be transmitted and then decoded in a processor/receiver.

But, "If a soundtrack was authored in Advanced mode, it cannot be transmitted in undecoded form; decoding in the player is mandatory because of live mixing" and 8 channels of lpcm can already be sent via hdmi 1.1 or higher.

Source:Movies that use 7.1 surround? (sdurani's post #30.)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I might be wrong but I was under the impression that the current HDMI 1.2 could only do 6.1?? And as far as LPCM I have no idea because my current Yamaha RX-V995 that I have owned since around 96'. And that reciever does not do PCM to my knoweldge at least not via analog inputs. :laugh: I can not wait to get a really nice reciever with component switching, HDMI 1.3 1080p switching and internal Dolby & DTS lossless decoding. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

MarekM

Supporting Actor

cool, thanx :) I was a little confused after Dave's post :)
I was sure that toshiba can do 7.1lpcm thru hdmi :)
so even if you have just 5.1 on analogs, you can run 7.1 thru hdmi1.1

informations on posts #15 and #36 are not correct..

and thanx for that link !

Marek

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins

It would also mean an unnecessary break in the extended editions on BD, since they could easily fit on a 50GB.

We're talking here about a set of films that has more supplemental material than almost any other film in history. If there was ever a set of films crying out for that 50GB capacity, these are it! Yet, it looks as though the BD versions are going to be dumbed-down to 30GB. What a shame.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

By the time any actual information comes out on these releases, triple layer disks will probably be available. It amazes me that all of these conculusions can be made before the studio even makes a basic announcement that they will be releasing these films in High Def. Currently, they are only looking at the possibility. All this speculation over a blurb posted on the WEB.

Maybe we should wait for the studio to make a real announcement before trashing them.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
For some of us, on a cold, January day that's all we have to discuss is speculation on some future disc releases. This is a discussion forum, isn't it? Sure, beats the hell of beating the same old drum about the virtues of HD DVD versus Blu-ray.

The studios have broad enough shoulders to handle some criticism that's either warranted or not at this time.

Jimjum27

Agent
Real Name
Jim J.

Well I'm the first to admit when I'm wrong and apparently I'm wrong. I was unaware that the Toshibas could send out 7.1 through HDMI. Is this just on second generation players or first ones as well? Any ideas on analog?

It's good to hear that AVRs are coming out soon that will decode lossless audio, but do we know at what price? I can only be an early adopter when the price is right.
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif
I'm sure there's a thread somewhere. Any links?

PattyFraser

Second Unit
Supplemental material? I'll bet we haven't seen anything yet. All those deleted scenes PJ opted not to even insert in the EEs, the audition tapes etc. I am going to try my absolute best to hold out for the uber set, which includes all of this material. Hopefully by then all the bugs will be ironed out of both (or either) format and it can be optimized and maxed out to hold all of this stuff.
I can do it! *I* was one of those mega fans who didn't buy the limited editions, and the completist in me is still crying. My next purchase must be the EEs, cause I agree with those who say they can't go back to the theatrical versions.

MarekM

Supporting Actor

Hello Jim,

I think 7.1 thru hdmi is on first and also on second generation...
And no info about prices on new AVRs, and there were some announcements on CES, I am sure somebody will drop some links...

Marek

Palpitatn

Auditioning
Real Name
Greg Jun
This is such a disappointment. I just hope they don't sell the theatrical versions so it forces them to push out the extended versions ASAP. This is one of the reasons I adopted BD earlier than I usually adopt to new technology.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks