What's new

International Adoption (1 Viewer)

John Gates

Second Unit
My wife and I are preparing to adopt two daughters from Colombia, South America. We've been in the process since February of 2003, and we have about a year to go. Currently, our application was just approved by the Colombian government, and now the search for a pair of orphaned girls can begin. Whew!

Anyone else here done international adoption before or in process? I'd love to hear your stories and/or experiences.

Regards,

John

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
My wife and I are in the process to adopt from Russia. We are going through Children's Hope, and so far, they have been wonderful.

Right now, we are waiting for the INS (or BCIS) to approve our I-600. Then, we send everything to Moscow.

We just attended the monthly meeting, and saw about 10 kids who have found their "forever family". They were so cute. We saw one couple who adopted 3 kids from Bogota. Two boys and a girl. They were very cute.

Le me know how it's going. This can be a very frustrating process (we are on week 11 of the 6-8 week wait from the INS).

John Gates

Second Unit
Randy,

Congratulations! My wife says that you can go to the BCIS site and actually check status there. Our 6-8 week wait at BCIS turned into a 6 month deal. Apparently they lost our homestudy the first time around. That's been fixed, and we got our I-171h at the end of December. :D

In Colombia, there's about a 6 month wait for the Gov to approve the dossier, but after that the search begins for us. We have about 6 to 18 months to go at this point because we are looking for a sib group within a specific age range (5 and younger).

So glad to hear that you are close to sending your dossier to Moscow! How exciting!! Do you have to take 2 trips to Russia to finalize?

We are working through Children's Hope also! :emoji_thumbsup: They are great.

Please keep me posted on how you are moving along in the process....

John

John Gates

Second Unit
Randy,

Congratulations! My wife says that you can go to the BCIS site and actually check status there. Our 6-8 week wait at BCIS turned into a 6 month deal. Apparently they lost our homestudy the first time around. That's been fixed, and we got our I-171h at the end of December. :D

In Colombia, there's about a 6 month wait for the Gov to approve the dossier, but after that the search begins for us. We have about 6 to 18 months to go at this point because we are looking for a sib group within a specific age range (5 and younger).

So glad to hear that you are close to sending your dossier to Moscow! How exciting!! Do you have to take 2 trips to Russia to finalize?

We are working through Children's Hope also! :emoji_thumbsup: They are great.

Please keep me posted on how you are moving along in the process....

John

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
Yeah, we have to make two trips. It's expensive, but worth it.

6-18 months? Wow! We are hoping to be done by the end of the year. It should be 2-3 months from the time they get the dossier until we get our referral.

We just had our monthly meeting last night, and saw the new kids. There was a little Russian girl there, 11 months old, who melted everyone in the room. Big blue eyes, blonde hair. And this quizzical look on her face. What a cutie.

Adoption is a test of patience. Good luck!

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
Yeah, we have to make two trips. It's expensive, but worth it.

6-18 months? Wow! We are hoping to be done by the end of the year. It should be 2-3 months from the time they get the dossier until we get our referral.

We just had our monthly meeting last night, and saw the new kids. There was a little Russian girl there, 11 months old, who melted everyone in the room. Big blue eyes, blonde hair. And this quizzical look on her face. What a cutie.

Adoption is a test of patience. Good luck!

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
NEWS FLASH * * * UPDATE * * * NEWS FLASH

Last night, in the mail, was our I-600a form, approved! YES! Now, we have to send our dossier to the Secretary of State to be Apostilled, and then, it's off to Moscow it goes!

Prayers work!

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
NEWS FLASH * * * UPDATE * * * NEWS FLASH

Last night, in the mail, was our I-600a form, approved! YES! Now, we have to send our dossier to the Secretary of State to be Apostilled, and then, it's off to Moscow it goes!

Prayers work!

John Gates

Second Unit
Right on!! Congratulations, Randy. I'm sure there were lots of happy dances at the Tennison home last night. I'm so excited for you!

John

John Gates

Second Unit
Right on!! Congratulations, Randy. I'm sure there were lots of happy dances at the Tennison home last night. I'm so excited for you!

John

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
I've heard it's very expensive to adopt from countries such as Russia. Is this true?

Jeff

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
I've heard it's very expensive to adopt from countries such as Russia. Is this true?

Jeff

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
Very true. I would say it will be over $20,000.00. However, there is a $10,000.00 tax credit from the feds, and a $10,000.00 tax credit from the state that helps offset it.

It's just coming up with the money that sucks.

There was some dancing, but we are busy getting ready to go on our last "childless" vacation. We are going on our 3rd Disney cruise. Since we own Disney Vacation Club, the cruise is already paid for, so we thought "use it or lose it". We leave Saturday.

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
Very true. I would say it will be over $20,000.00. However, there is a $10,000.00 tax credit from the feds, and a $10,000.00 tax credit from the state that helps offset it.

It's just coming up with the money that sucks.

There was some dancing, but we are busy getting ready to go on our last "childless" vacation. We are going on our 3rd Disney cruise. Since we own Disney Vacation Club, the cruise is already paid for, so we thought "use it or lose it". We leave Saturday.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks