What's new

Interim Receiver?, 6 month solution (1 Viewer)

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
Going to build up the amps after, then go with a Pre, likely a used Lex.

All of that will take 6 months to put funds away for.

Building up a 7.1 system for true THX Ultra/Logic 7.

IN THE MEANTIME: I need a receiver I won't curse at to run my Paradigm Monitors. I need to flip the receiver in 6 months.

HK 520 and Marantz 7200 are on the short list. I need something that will sell again quickly, so a Kenwood or other budget item won't cut it.

The "potential problems" for the 7200 have been rectified, so anything you hear about clicking when switching are not an issue. If there is a half second delay in initial DVD pickup, I can live with that.

The H/K is an item that two of my friends have. Very nice and no problems whatsoever.

To run:

DVD, Cassette, CD Player, XBOX, Digital Cable (soon to be HD Satellite receivers (one HD and one standard receiver for dual screen capability) all on a Sony Widescreen.

Weaknesses of each I should consider? Alternatives? I like the feature of decoding 2 channel to Logic 7 or CS-5 on each unit respectively.

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Either receiver would be a great match. I believe in going with what you know...your friends ownership experiences should inform you. It's only for 6 months, right? Then I could sell my 510 and buy your 520. ;)

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
If it is only for six months, then the HK 520 is probably your best bet. It seems to have solved all the previous HK quality control problems, and it does have Logic7, if that is what you are into. Nowadays, you can get one for about $650 street, so it is a good investment if you can sell it for about 80% of what you got it for. But the thing is, what is your budget for a lexicon? Are you going to go for one of the DC series, or one of the MCs? MC-12's are in somewhat short supply, and they do cost about $7.5k new.

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
Yeah, I'm leaning to the 520 myself... it seems the power sourcing on the models from 7200 down is lesser quality. Even though the power rating is higher 105 amp per channel on the Marantz, H/K measures differently and shows 75 per channel. The weight on each is comparable 32.4 versus 35 lbs.

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
I just did another search on maximum power consumption

7200 is 460 watts

520 is 694 watts

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Steve,

Don't worry about H/K power. It is all there and more so. The 510, which I own, has been tested many times and shows a minimum of 74Wx5 20Hz-20kHz (S&V). Home Theater tested it out at 92Wx5 20Hz-20kHz. English sites and publications also find greater power than it's rating, both Stereo and Multi-channel. This is all real power, real headroom. I don't know of a single close competitor that can double down like the 5xx series. This is almost unheard of in this price class.

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
Steve,

Go with the used Marantz SR7000 (with RC2000I remote) for $325 in the classified forum. 5.1 inputs, 6 preamp outs, nice price. Why spend anymore if you're gonna flip it in 6 months.

Or you can get a loaded DC1 for ~ $1150 and two parasound 885 85x5 amps for ~ $400 each.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks