What's new

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (2023) (1 Viewer)

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
As has been said, whether a character change in a later chapter modifies your opinion of an earlier entry is subjective. I can see both sides.

1. Does Palpatine returning in Rise of Skywalker change how I look at Return of the Jedi? Not particularly, in that I (emphasis on "I") considered it a weak and lazy story choice (and groan-worthy as well) because JJ Abrams needed to come up with a new big bad after Snoke's demise in The Last Jedi.

In retrospect, I also look at the original and prequel trilogies as George's vision and he intended Palpatine to be defeated in ROTJ (and not return 30+ years later).

Now, if, on the other hand, it had all been one cohesive (and intentional) arc from Ep 1 to Ep 9, and Palpatine was intended to return in RoS, then yes, I would look at ROTJ differently. But I don't believe it was intended that way.

2. I have only seen the first Fantastic Beasts film, so I don't know much about Nagini's background. But given this background is from JK Rowling herself, then it does cast a different light on Voldemort's "snake" in the Harry Potter series. If I had known that Nagini was actually an enslaved woman, then I might even have felt pity and sorrow when Neville does the deed. However, Deathly Hallows Part 2 (and book 7) remain unchanged for me, as I have never seen Nagini's background being told (my memory of the book and film are a little fuzzy, however! ;) ).

But that's one potential problem I see with going back in time and filling in backstories and such. (I have been on the record about preferring stories that go forward in time, rather than prequels, etc.) There are always opportunities for retconning characters, etc.

Anyway, just my 2c. Back to Indy!

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
I’m wondering if Disney tried to buy distribution rights, since they did for those MCU Phase 1 films distributed by Paramount?

In any event, partnerships for box sets between different studios have happened before, I believe, for Alfred Hitchcock and Marilyn Monroe box sets?
Universal and Warner Brothers worked together to release The Complete Rankin/Bass Christmas Collection DVD Boxset.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It would seem to drain all the emotion out of what was meant as a big moment in Jedi, knowing now that he's not really dead.

For what it’s worth, re: Palpatine - this wasn’t a J.J. Abrams invention. The expanded universe stories that started coming out as novels not long after Return of the Jedi advanced the plot points that Palpatine’s minions attempted to clone his body so his spirit could rejoin it, but that Palpatine’s dark side force was so intensively evil and destructive that the clone bodies could only hold his consciousness for a limited time before his dark side energy would burn them out.

In Episode III, Palpatine hints to Anakin that there is a secret to using the dark side to live forever.

I think the hints are all there. The execution may have been clumsy, but Star Wars has had clumsy execution since day one, so that’s nothing really new for the franchise.

But I think you can also make the argument that it’s not the real Palpatine, not fully. The guy we saw in Episodes I - VI is dead. He died when Luke threw him down that shaft. The resurrected Palpatine is a poor copy.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
Random memories of 1984 when the "new" Indiana Jones logo popped off the screen for the first (and only) time. I was beside myself with excitement. Well, until all the screaming started.

0db19e99f7dd23e0f70d405e6076e041.jpg

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
(my memory of the book and film are a little fuzzy, however!)

[sidebar]

Your memory is not faulty. There is nothing in any of the books or Harry Potter films proper suggesting that Nagini is anything other than a creepy snake. That's why it was a good example of additional information provided in a subsequently created project (Crimes of Grindelwald) changing the context of (and in my opinion tainting) the moment in the original piece (Deathly Hallows.) Neville killing an enslaved woman is uncomfortable. Neville killing Voldemort's creepy pet is not.

[/sidebar]

Back to Indy...

I had it in my head that my theater was going to be increasing prices on Friday this week. So even though there had been exactly zero tickets sold for Dial of Destiny at the screening I want to go to between their on sale date and today, I went ahead and gave them their first two sales today. My original plan was to hang onto the money longer and buy closer to the actual show date. But I was trying to get the cheaper price by locking it in before the increase went into effect. I didn't realize until after doing this that the price increase had already gone into effect a couple weeks ago. Because my last few tickets purchased were in advance, I hadn't noticed the price increase yet even though I have been to the movies recently. So my plan to save some money didn't work. And there are still no other tickets sold for my screening. But I got them.

I’m wondering if Disney tried to buy distribution rights, since they did for those MCU Phase 1 films distributed by Paramount?

That's a good point. The first round of Marvel films did well under Paramount, but it wasn't the powerhouse it became under Disney. I suspect Paramount would be much more reluctant to give up distribution rights to their Indiana Jones films than they would be to let Disney buy them out of Marvel at that time.

Last edited:

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Universal and Warner Brothers worked together to release The Complete Rankin/Bass Christmas Collection DVD Boxset.

I hadn't noticed that, but then it's not something I would want to get, so...

At any rate, since Universal and Warner have a distribution company together, this is rather like the instances I mentioned earlier with Fox releasing sets that included MGM/UA titles.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Why is it always Raiders? I mean, I know it's a great film and I certainly don't have any complaints about that. But I've seen that in theaters before. It pops up here from time to time. And of course I saw Crystal Skull when it was new. But I've never had the opportunity to see Temple of Doom or Last Crusade theatrically. (Temple of Doom was before I was born and I was less than a year old for Last Crusade.). So I really wish those could go in the rotation as well.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I see Raiders theatrically every what seems like 2 years or so. I saw Last Crusade once and Temple of Doom never theatrically. And of course I saw Crystal Skull when it was released.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

Sounds like Harrison Ford wasn't pulling any punches filming this.

From another article Ford had this to say about fans questions:
“Well, they usually ask me, ‘If there was a fight between Han Solo and Indiana Jones, who would fuckin’ win?’ And I say [voice rising, fingers drumming], ‘Me, asshole! I don’t want to fucking make shit up like that. I mean, what are you asking me that crap for?’ ”

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I've always pretty much seen Ford as an asshole in real life. I like his characters, but don't care for the person. He was a carpenter who hit it lucky early on with a couple of roles in popular franchises and it seems like his ego inflated to massive proportions.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I like him for his no nonsense, tell it like it is interview style. I don't think he is doing it for laughs, just being honest.

There’s a certain segment of fandom and entertainment journalism that, when faced with an actor involved in a work they like, tend to ask the actor what the character would do, as if there was no script and the actor improvised the entire thing. At a fan convention this might be called an “in-universe question” and I’m generally not a fan. I just think they put actors in a position where there’s no real answer they can give. They don’t experience fandom the way we do, being on the other side of it. At best, they can play along and make up a non-canon answer that’s still not “real” as far as canon goes, so when I hear that kind of answer it’s meaningless to me. And worse, that takes up a time that could have been used asking a better question.

Fans and reporters should really know this, and I think it’s sort of disrespectful when they even ask that kind of question.

So I get a kick out of Harrison Ford not taking it seriously either.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I've always pretty much seen Ford as an asshole in real life. I like his characters, but don't care for the person. He was a carpenter who hit it lucky early on with a couple of roles in popular franchises and it seems like his ego inflated to massive proportions.
He is probably not someone I'd like to get an autograph from. Meeting (strangers) celebrities is sort of weird to begin with, but all the way back to the first Star Wars film he has been pretty much the same person out of character going by interviews. Not saying you are wrong but he is one rare celebrity who doesn't sugar coat his thoughts to make himself "seem" likeable to fans. He has also had pretty heartfelt responses to issues, and questions through the years, so for all the gritty, somewhat unpleasant responses he gives you can also see he has a big heart.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
And worse, that takes up a time that could have been used asking a better question.

This is it exactly.

I'm probably never going to get to interview Harrison Ford and that's fine. I don't expect to. But if I did get to speak with him, I would try to come up with an interesting question that would hopefully lead to an interesting answer. Some of the "journalists" who get to do this are so focused on getting quotes that will generate clickbait that I think they often forget to use their access to these people in compelling ways.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks