What's new

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (2023) (1 Viewer)

Wayne Klein

Second Unit
First showing, 3pm IMAX - now just working on babysitting coverage :)

Plan is for me to see it solo immediately and then a second time with my wife within the first week - she’s interested in seeing it but isn’t a die hard fan, and I wanted to see it more than once, so that seemed like the best plan for everyone.

Started rewatching Young Indy last night. I never finished the DVDs back in 2007 so this is a long time coming.
My plan as well (though my brother might come).

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
It’s a rare thing these days to hear someone say, “this isn’t for me, so I’m not going to go out and see it.”

I’ve lately been doing the same for certain other franchises and TV shows and I can’t tell you what a relief it’s been to just not engage with the stuff I’m not interested in.
I said almost those exact words when I saw the preview for The Marvels. While I was waiting for Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 to start.

Just by the trailer alone, I can see it's not for me. But I hope it's a win for fans and Marvel.

I will see Dial of Destiny because it's Indy. I mean...Dr. Jones, Doll!

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Am I the only one who actually liked the final trilogy, and found it way better than the Lucas prequel trilogy?

No, you're not. I only saw the first two of the prequels, and decided not to bother with the third. If it was just me, I probably wouldn't have made an effort to see the sequel trilogy, but my wife wanted to see them and wouldn't have gone by herself. I had problems with VII and IX, but they didn't put me off the way I and II did. I liked VIII way more than I expected to.

Oh, and to be honest, I don't have a problem with Jar Jar. I mean, I didn't like him, but I don't have the hate for him that most people seem to have.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
It's afternoon here already and tickets have been on sale for several hours. Not a single ticket has been sold for the June 29 show that I want to go to. This is clearly not behaving like a Star Wars or Endgame type event where people feel like they need to rush to get tickets the moment they go on sale.
I think the days of The Force Awakens or Endgame ticketing hysteria are gone because now pretty much every big budget movie makes a big deal out of when its tickets go on sale so it's not special anymore. It was an event and now it's just a normal marketing tool. Like you said, this movie is going to do just fine but I can't remember the last movie where I heard tales of massive or hours-long crashes on ticketing websites like you heard with TFA or Avengers.

Am I the only one who actually liked the final trilogy, and found it way better than the Lucas prequel trilogy?
I loved the sequels (it's a bummer that the last one was the weakest though) but I find it hard to compare each trilogy because they're all different movies made in very different eras.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I can't remember the last movie where I heard tales of massive or hours-long crashes on ticketing websites like you heard with TFA or Avengers.

No Way Home crashed the websites. It took me longer than the running time of the movie to get in and by the time I did, my normal seat was gone so I had to sit farther to the right than I usually do. But that was an extreme rarity.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I'm not begrudging anyone how they want to get movie tickets, but for my peace of mind, having the tix in the theater we want on the night we want is important. We need to plan our weeks pretty carefully between work and my husband going to school, among other things.

By all means, if you feel there is a benefit to buying them early, then you should continue doing that. Advance tickets like this allow for specific scheduling, and if you need that, buying it now would be valuable.

If I believed that there was a risk of not being able to get in when I want to, I would buy it early too, as I have before. But I don't think that, so I don't need it yet.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Despite the many flaws of the PT, there are two main differentiators of that to the ST. One is that at least Lucas had a story in mind going into the project (it’s been revealed they the ST didn’t even have a basic outline). Two is that episode III more or less stuck the landing (“NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!” aside) where as episode IX was just lame

Some valid points about Kennedy. I didn’t mean to infer that she was responsible for all the problems of the franchise (yes JJ deserves a lot of blame as well) but I still feel Star Wars under her tenure is been more miss than hit.
THIS IS NOT A STAR WARS THREAD !!!

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Indiana Jones is one of those series where I've always meant to upgrade to Blu-ray but never got around to it. I have the original trilogy in its first release on DVD from 2003. I don't currently have Crystal Skull at all.

Obviously, we know Dial of Destiny is a Disney film. Paramount still controls the distribution rights for the first four films, but doesn't have anything to do with this one. So I would have expected that to preclude a five-film box set from being released this fall. So I was thinking about picking up the existing Blu-ray set to rewatch the previous films in HD before Dial of Destiny comes out.

But then there was the announcement a while back that the previous films will come to Disney+ this week. This seems to indicate that there is some kind of cooperative arrangement between Paramount and Disney in order to enable those movies to run on Disney's platform.

This raises the very question which I would have considered impossible until recently: Could there be a combined physical media release of all five films this fall after Dial of Destiny completes its theatrical run? If so, it might make more sense to watch on Disney+ now and wait to see what happens. It would certainly be nicer to have five films in one package rather than four films in one package and the final one next to it, if the two studios will cooperate enough to make that happens.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Indiana Jones is one of those series where I've always meant to upgrade to Blu-ray but never got around to it. I have the original trilogy in its first release on DVD from 2003. I don't currently have Crystal Skull at all.

Obviously, we know Dial of Destiny is a Disney film. Paramount still controls the distribution rights for the first four films, but doesn't have anything to do with this one. So I would have expected that to preclude a five-film box set from being released this fall. So I was thinking about picking up the existing Blu-ray set to rewatch the previous films in HD before Dial of Destiny comes out.

But then there was the announcement a while back that the previous films will come to Disney+ this week. This seems to indicate that there is some kind of cooperative arrangement between Paramount and Disney in order to enable those movies to run on Disney's platform.

This raises the very question which I would have considered impossible until recently: Could there be a combined physical media release of all five films this fall after Dial of Destiny completes its theatrical run? If so, it might make more sense to watch on Disney+ now and wait to see what happens. It would certainly be nicer to have five films in one package rather than four films in one package and the final one next to it, if the two studios will cooperate enough to make that happens.

I’m wondering if Disney tried to buy distribution rights, since they did for those MCU Phase 1 films distributed by Paramount?

In any event, partnerships for box sets between different studios have happened before, I believe, for Alfred Hitchcock and Marilyn Monroe box sets?

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
…Could there be a combined physical media release of all five films this fall after Dial of Destiny completes its theatrical run?
There certainly could be. There are many box sets that contain films from different studios.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
So far this instalment of Indiana Jones is not blowing my hair back and even the title sounds horrible. I might end up renting this movie as I honestly as a Indiana Jones fan do not have much interest in this film based on what I have seen and heard so far. Just got done rewatching the original film in 4K a few days ago and still enjoy it.

20230527_165809.jpg

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I might end up renting this movie as I honestly as a Indiana Jones fan do not have much interest in this film based on what I have seen and heard so far.

That's interesting because I feel the opposite way about it. I'm not you and I'm not trying to tell you how to spend your time or money. But it would be very difficult for me to skip a revival of something I like theatrically. I'd be way too curious not to go. Plus, I want to be able to be in on the discussion, and I can't do that without going to see it. I want to know what they've done, whether I end up liking it or not.

I hated The Rise of Skywalker. I was very disappointed in it and wish they had gone another way with the ending to the series. But I went and I had the experience seeing it on a big screen with a crowd full of fans and I gave it its shot, and I was able to discuss it afterwards both here and with my other non-HTF friends. So even though the movie upset me, I valued knowing that while I could be part of the conversation surrounding its theatrical release. YMMV of course.

I hope I love Dial of Destiny. I am going to go in and give it its fair shot. But even If I don't like it, I'll know what they did and how I feel about it and the conversations will be interesting.

If you wait to rent the movie and you end up liking it, would you regret having missed it in theaters? (This is a serious question, not an attempt to judge you.)

Last edited:

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
In any event, partnerships for box sets between different studios have happened before, I believe, for Alfred Hitchcock and Marilyn Monroe box sets?

The Monroe set (Forever Marilyn) is rather a special case, as most of the films in the set were Fox films. The two that weren't were United Artists films owned by MGM, and Fox was MGM's distributor. The same happened with Fox's John Wayne Film Collection set, which included a UA film, The Horse Soldiers.

The Hitchcock mega-set did include the Warner-owned North by Northwest. Some Warner sets also included non-Warner films, including a Stanley Kubrick set, a set of the initial three Mad Max films, and a set of the first four Terminator films.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks