What's new

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (2023) (1 Viewer)

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
There’s a certain segment of fandom and entertainment journalism that, when faced with an actor involved in a work they like, tend to ask the actor what the character would do, as if there was no script and the actor improvised the entire thing. At a fan convention this might be called an “in-universe question” and I’m generally not a fan. I just think they put actors in a position where there’s no real answer they can give. They don’t experience fandom the way we do, being on the other side of it. At best, they can play along and make up a non-canon answer that’s still not “real” as far as canon goes, so when I hear that kind of answer it’s meaningless to me. And worse, that takes up a time that could have been used asking a better question.

Fans and reporters should really know this, and I think it’s sort of disrespectful when they even ask that kind of question.

So I get a kick out of Harrison Ford not taking it seriously either.
All he had to say about the hypothetical fight between Han and Indy is, 'it's up to the writers', right?

Ffs, epic as the characters are, they are not his most interesting acting moments, now, are they?
I'd be more interested in talking about Regarding Henry or Random Hearts. Or that amish thing I forget the name of. Silent Witness?
All great films, where he actually acted, not just played a part.

And that said, obviously looking forward to the next Indy movie, I'll be here rain or shine!

Last edited:

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Or that amish thing I forget the name of. Silent Witness?

Just plain-old Witness. He was even better in the later Peter Weir film, The Mosquito Coast.

Quite frankly, I never thought much of him as an actor in his early days. But as time went on, he got better, then much better. He's doing a phenomenal job in one of his current projects: the Yellowstone spin-off, 1923.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
You can do what I do. Completely ignore all three of the Disney Sequel Trilogy films. There was a lot I liked about TLJ, but the final film was so poor, I haven’t given it a second thought since walking out after it ended on opening night. Doesn’t affect how I feel about Jedi at all. Because that’s where it ended for me.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
This new quote from Ford makes me think of two other quotes, one from Ford and one from Viggo Mortensen.

Viggo Mortensen (when asked about Lord of the Rings): “I would have like to see what Peter Jackson would have done with the character Ghan-buri-Ghan, he chief of Druidain, wild men of the druadan forest, seeing him lead King Theoden and his army of Rohirrim through the forest to join the fight to save Minas Tirith would have been thrilling. Towards the end of Tolkien’s Return of the King, the forest of Druadan is given by newly crowned Aragorn to Ghan and his people for their exclusive use, leaving it to them to decide that from then on if anyone else is to be allowed to enter it. I suppose all of that extra material would have given the already thematically complex and quite lengthy movie far too long a running time and an overwhelming amount of information for viewers to easily assimilate.”

Harrison Ford (on if Han Solo was a force ghost in Rise of Skywalker): “A force ghost? I don’t know what a force ghost is and I don’t fucking care.”

I think both quotes are perfectly good answers. I hope interviewers keep asking both personalities of celebrity these kind of questions because I appreciate the detailed answers the likes of Mortensen give, and also love laughing at the sarcasm that Ford gives!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I think both quotes are perfectly good answers
One sounds like someone who has a knowledge of and interest in the source material and the creative process. The other sounds like someone who gives no thought to the creative aspects of the project and just shows up to collect his paycheck.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I think Harrison Ford likes his privacy so he basically playing the Harrison-Ford-is-a-grumpy-old-man thing for interviews. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure he's kinda that way in real life but he turns it up for the public so people think twice about asking him for an autograph when he's eating dinner and because it's a funny thing for a talk show.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
The very first interview I ever read with Ford was in People magazine in 1978. One quote of his always stuck with me. He said, “If I had anything to offer about my private life, I’d offer that it’s private.”

He hasn’t changed. (That’s good.)

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
One sounds like someone who has a knowledge of and interest in the source material and the creative process. The other sounds like someone who gives no thought to the creative aspects of the project and just shows up to collect his paycheck.
Actually, it sounds like the perfect answer considering the character he played. There's nothing in the depths and minutiae of the Star Wars mythology that Harrison Ford would need to draw upon to aid in his performance of Han Solo.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I had heard that at a convention quite a while back, Christopher Lee was asked by a fan who'd win in a fight, Saruman or Count Dooku. As I understand it, Lee was flummoxed by the question...not that he didn't understand the question, but why anyone would want to consider it.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Okay, I'll start: Han would shoot first...
IMG_6226.gif

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I had a very big crowd for a Fathom Event. 60% - 70% full. They showed a Dial of Destiny featurette and trailer before the movie started. No speech about the film or featurettes after movie.

Definitely looks like it was a DCP to me, picture was great, just slightly dim.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I saw the Fathom Raiders last night - the theater I went to had upgraded all of their regular auditoriums to 4K laser projectors within the past couple years so it was a much better presentation than I’m used to for Fathom. They had it in one of their larger auditoriums and pretty much every seat except for the very front row was taken. So great to see it still filling theaters all these years later.

In the row in front of me was a family with two kids around 8 and 10, who had never seen it before. The 8 year old screamed and jumped into their parents’ lap during the face melting, so yeah, the movie holds up 😆

What I think is so amazing about this movie is the way it handles what Walt Disney used to call “the plausible impossible.” I don’t know a single thing about Ark lore in terms of what theology or history has to say about its final resting place and/or any alleged powers, but once this movie begins, I completely buy into everything it’s selling. I love the little touches, like the scene when Indy and Sallah are getting the headpiece translated. It’s a pretty gripping scene already when the translator reads the first side, but just the way the mood flips when he explains the second side - his giddy joy in pointing out the hidden message, the way Indy and Sallah get excited realizing they’re gonna find the ark first, and then the way the wind blows, as if the act of reading the second side wakes up the fates and they’re signaling their warning now that they can sense the ark is close to being found. It’s a masterclass in making the impossible believable.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I saw the Fathom Raiders last night - the theater I went to had upgraded all of their regular auditoriums to 4K laser projectors within the past couple years so it was a much better presentation than I’m used to for Fathom. They had it in one of their larger auditoriums and pretty much every seat except for the very front row was taken. So great to see it still filling theaters all these years later.

In the row in front of me was a family with two kids around 8 and 10, who had never seen it before. The 8 year old screamed and jumped into their parents’ lap during the face melting, so yeah, the movie holds up 😆

What I think is so amazing about this movie is the way it handles what Walt Disney used to call “the plausible impossible.” I don’t know a single thing about Ark lore in terms of what theology or history has to say about its final resting place and/or any alleged powers, but once this movie begins, I completely buy into everything it’s selling. I love the little touches, like the scene when Indy and Sallah are getting the headpiece translated. It’s a pretty gripping scene already when the translator reads the first side, but just the way the mood flips when he explains the second side - his giddy joy in pointing out the hidden message, the way Indy and Sallah get excited realizing they’re gonna find the ark first, and then the way the wind blows, as if the act of reading the second side wakes up the fates and they’re signaling their warning now that they can sense the ark is close to being found. It’s a masterclass in making the impossible believable.
42 years later and it is still my favorite movie of all time.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I had heard that at a convention quite a while back, Christopher Lee was asked by a fan who'd win in a fight, Saruman or Count Dooku. As I understand it, Lee was flummoxed by the question...not that he didn't understand the question, but why anyone would want to consider it.
Saruman would kick Dooku's ass.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
42 years later and it is still my favorite movie of all time.

My wife has been rolling her eyes at me all week because I hadn’t been saying “I’m going to see Raiders on Wednesday,” I’ve been saying “I’m going to see the greatest adventure of all time.”

I said what I said :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks