What's new

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (2023) (1 Viewer)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I'm a fan of the first and third Indy films. I guess subscribing to the idea that the odd numbered films are better...however...my big issue with Kingdom was the CGI which looked horrible and really destroyed the film for me. The great thing about the two Indy films I like is the sense that you are there in these exotic locations and there is a real feel of danger for the characters. The long chase through the jungle was horrible. Kingdom was like watching a video game and there was no sense of investment in the characters or their plight. There was no chemistry between Ford and Shia...which I guess is not a surprise as the rumors say he is a bit of a pain in the ass to work with and Ford does not seem a guy that will suffer fools gladly. I also thought Harrison looked a bit tired in the role. Plus the sets sort of looked like something on a Disney ride rather than real places. In my opinion this was horrible for the film.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
CGI didn't bother me. I mean, the face melting scene in Raiders was all that realistic looking, but doesn't really take away from the movie. I can overlook that for the sake of a good story.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm a fan of the first and third Indy films. I guess subscribing to the idea that the odd numbered films are better...however...my big issue with Kingdom was the CGI which looked horrible and really destroyed the film for me.
CGI didn't bother me.
I understand how bad effects (CG or practical) can take people out of the moment and thus the movie but generally, I just accept that there's a limit of what effects can do and roll with what's being depicted onscreen.

Somewhat in that vein, I've been rewatching The Lord Of The Rings for probably the first time since the theaters and I was surprised by how obvious all the CG was but at about 15 years on, it's bound to happen.

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
Well, I just rewatched Indy 1 last night, first time on blu (I know, I took forever to upgrade ...) and it is amazing how well it has stood the test of time. Still feels fresh, and still drags you into the action.
Great movie! Can't remember how many times I have seen this in the theater, on VHS, DVD and now blu.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Couldn't agree with you more. RotLA is about as perfect a film as one can find IMO. EVERYTHING works, and works well.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Couldn't agree with you more. RotLA is about as perfect a film as one can find IMO. EVERYTHING works, and works well.

Isn't ROTLA the film that Sheldon and Amy debated about on "The Big Bang Theory," saying that Indy is completely superfluous to the plot/story? That you could remove him from the movie completely and essentially nothing would change (except it might have taken the Nazis longer to find the Ark)?

From a synopsis of the episode "The Raiders Minimization":

(Amy) found the movie very entertaining except for the large plot-hole. Sheldon tells her that it was made by two of the most gifted film makers of our time, Steven Spielberg and George Lucas. Sheldon has watched it 36 times except for the snakes and the face melting that he won't watch after dark. Sheldon defies her to find a plot hole to make his jaw drop. Amy explains that if Indiana Jones were not in the movie, the plot would still be intact. the Nazis would still find the Ark of the Covenant, would still have taken it to the island, then opened it up, and all would have died.

:D

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Yeah, yeah. Amy's theory if full of shit. That's just TBBT doing what it does best - being all cutely nerdy and hipster-like. ;)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Yeah, yeah. Amy's theory if full of shit. That's just TBBT doing what it does best - being all cutely nerdy and hipster-like. ;)
is she? Don't the Nazis really find thee Ark with or without Indy? If he's not there they get that medallion that goes on the head of the staff which is the key to finding the Ark. That was a funny episode and I need t watch again to see if she's really right.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
CGI didn't bother me. I mean, the face melting scene in Raiders was all that realistic looking, but doesn't really take away from the movie. I can overlook that for the sake of a good story.
Really that's the only scene in the film I don't like.

It would have been better to have had the "bolts" turn the Nazis into white "statues". Indy would go over to one, rub his finger on it, and taste the end of his finger. Marion: "Salt?". Indy nods, "yeah, salt".

Recall the fate of Lot's wife when she turned and looked back at the wrath of God.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
is she? Don't the Nazis really find thee Ark with or without Indy? If he's not there they get that medallion that goes on the head of the staff which is the key to finding the Ark. That was a funny episode and I need t watch again to see if she's really right.

We don't know how the Nazis found Marion - for all we know, she had disappeared so quickly that they only found her because they were following Indy. (Indy, having been sent out by the U.S. government, probably had a paper trail.) We don't know that Marion would have given the medallion to the Nazis, perhaps she would have gotten away.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
We don't know how the Nazis found Marion - for all we know, she had disappeared so quickly that they only found her because they were following Indy. (Indy, having been sent out by the U.S. government, probably had a paper trail.) We don't know that Marion would have given the medallion to the Nazis, perhaps she would have gotten away.

Exactly. There are too many unknowns in the chain of events to definitively say that the end result would have been the same without Indy in the storyline.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Maybe I should put this in spoilers but in Indy 5 word is that Jones loses his dentures and goes on a wild and epic search to find an ancient and priceless set of false teeth that had belonged to Attila the Hun while a hapless and clumsy Peter MacNicol plays a determined AARP employee that chases him across the continents attempting to deliver his new membership card.

Ancient Teeth.jpg

Peter Indy 5.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks