In wall to on wall conversion

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by JeffCar, Feb 23, 2006.

1. JeffCar

JeffCar Agent

In a moment of insanity, I bought a pair of in wall rear channel speakers - Klipsch RCW-5. Not that it is a bad speaker by any means. I bought it before I had decided to build a dedicated theater in the basement; when I was planning on putting it in the family room upstairs.

The basement is a different approach.... keep the sound inside the room. Doing so requires as little break in a continuous envelope as possible, and certainly you don't want to put a speaker in the midst of the sound barrier. The rest of the speakers I own are perfectly suitable (RF-5 left and right, RC-7 center, RS-35 surrounds and KSW-12 sub) but the in walls aren't going to cut it. My plan for the RCW-5s is to build enclosures and hang them at the rear of the room. Problem is, I am not sure about the construction of the enclosures. Any advice or guidance would be very much appreciated!

Jeff

2. Ed Jr

Ed Jr Auditioning

I have a similar situtation. Basement set-up. Concern for keeping the sound within the basement made me lean towards an on-wall speaker versus in-wall. I have not made a decision on brand yet. I am interested in Canton. Not sure it Kilpsch makes a wall-mounted product. Doesn't look like it. Any thoughts?

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Well, you need to determine what the size of the box should be. Infinite baffle speakers (which is what in-walls are) will get the best bass response in a large enclosure, but obviously you don’t want that for on-wall use. Using them as rear speakers you don’t need deep extension, only down to about 100 Hz or so, so you’ll be able to get away with a smaller box than if you were trying to get full-range response from them. I suggest contacting Klipsch for recommendations on a box size (read internal volume).

You can build the box any dimensions you like, as long as you end up with the correct internal volume. IMO a shallow box will look best on the wall – i.e., only a few inches deep. Of course, this will give you a box with a largish front baffle, which is the opposite of accepted speaker cabinet building these days because of diffraction issues. However, I don’t see this as an issue with rear speakers, since they’re for ambience.

Construction of the box isn’t a big deal. MDF or HDF is typically used; I’d suggest the front baffle panel be at least 5/8” thick. You’ll want no smaller than 1/2” panels for the sides and rear, although thicker never hurts. Typically sheet rock screws are used to secure the panels together, recessed a bit to allow for veneer. Use pilot holes to prevent splitting the wood. Liberal amounts of wood glue should be used where the panels overlap and are screwed together – this insures the box will be air-tight. You’ll probably want to recess the rear connection panel.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt