What's new

In-n-Out best burger in LA (1 Viewer)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I liked Giamatti before but he has gone up in my estimations.

You won't see many A-Listers going into a budget burger joint.

All kinds of celebrities go to In-N-Out. Tom Hanks loves the place. Even Gordon Ramsey, who you would think might choose something else chose an In-N-Out burger for his last meal.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I had three separate times that I moved out to California. The first time I did not spend any time trying burger joints. That was in the late 1980s. Second time was in 1991, I remember this because I was there when The Last Boy Scout came out and we went to see that movie a few times. It was on this second stint that one of my friends asked me what my favorite burger place was and I told him I did not have one. So, he took me on a tour of burger places over the next month ending with his top three in order. I am drawing a blank what number three was, number two was In-N-Out and the number one, that he said would blow my mind was Tommy Burger. Yes, for the chili burger. I do recall that it was great, as was In-N-Out but there were many great burgers on his list.

I will say, West Coast burgers beat East Coast burgers by several miles in my experience. We now have a bunch of burger joints on the East Coast, Shake Shack, Five Guys, Mooya, SmashBurger all come to mind. None stand up to Tommy and In-N-Out in my memory. I've not been to Tommy or In-N-Out in 25 years so, no idea how they hold up now.

For my $$$, I'm actually not that much a fan of Shake Shack or Five Guys -- they're really just decent/ok, but nothing special, IMHO. I generally prefer Bareburger myself amongst chains in NYC area though I haven't tried many (and there's one w/in 5-10min walking distance from me... and a Five Guys even literally just down a block) plus some non/smaller-chain ones scattered across the area, including in my own neighborhood (near downtown Brooklyn). Yes, Bareburger (and some other non/small-chain ones I prefer) do definitely cost significantly more than Five Guys and also Shake Shack for that matter, but not quite so much more though, if I actually wanted a good burger. Never tried SmashBurger or even heard of Mooya though.

The best burger I've ever had at a fastfood-ish burger joint and/or bar (not an upscale, full service restaurant that happens to include burgers on their menus) was probably a Kobe burger at some corner joint called Zaitzeff (or something like that) on Nassau & John St in downtown Manhattan (just a short walk from J&R, City Hall, WTC and my job back then) back sometime around 2005 or thereabout IIRC. That was a pretty expensive burger (but still under $20 IIRC) at the time of course, but I don't recall ever having better than that. Probably would have to be another real Kobe burger from some actual, authentic Japanese joint or something to beat that me thinks. :P

_Man_

Carl David

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Carl
All kinds of celebrities go to In-N-Out. Tom Hanks loves the place. Even Gordon Ramsey, who you would think might choose something else chose an In-N-Out burger for his last meal.
I knew someone would reply to argue the point.

Every single time on this forum. No matter the point some young upstart wants a gunfight.

Firstly, Mr Hanks is eating one in a TV studio.

That does not count.

Show me a picture or video of him actually in a real In-N-Out joint eating besides real people like Giamatti.

Secondly, I don't class Ramsey as a proper A-list star.

He comes from a humble background and he does not portray himself as some kind of mega star and comes across as a normal guy.

Lastly, I was thinking of people like Tom Cruise who probably only frequent Michelin establishments and eats Fois Gras on a regular basis & would never be seen dead going into a McDonald's drive thru with the peasants.

Prove me wrong.

I dare you. I double dare you.

Your play cowboy.

Last edited:

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
No matter the point some young upstart wants a gunfight.

I'm enjoying being the young upstart, burger in one hand and squirt gun full of ketchup in the other.

I don't have any evidence other than a whole bunch of famous people claim to love In-N-Out. I'm not out in LA anymore so I can't snap any photos or take any video of me and Tom Cruise eating burgers. I just assume that the reason they like it is it is the burger joint that is nearby.

To be totally honest, I like to have a burger once and a while but I prefer to make them at home with my own choice of ingredients. I guess a lot of famous people could have their home chef make them a burger to their own specifications so they don't have to go out for one.

All I've got is this and I can't confirm he's having an In-N-Out but he is going full animal style!

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I knew someone would reply to argue the point.

Every single time on this forum. No matter the point some young upstart wants a gunfight.

Firstly, Mr Hanks is eating one in a TV studio.

That does not count.

Show me a picture or video of him actually in a real In-N-Out joint eating besides real people like Giamatti.

Secondly, I don't class Ramsey as a proper A-list star.

He comes from a humble background and he does not portray himself as some kind of mega star and comes across as a normal guy.

Lastly, I was thinking of people like Tom Cruise who probably only frequent Michelin establishments and eats Fois Gras on a regular basis & would never be seen dead going into a McDonald's drive thru with the peasants.

Prove me wrong.

I dare you. I double dare you.

Your play cowboy.

LOL! A real gunfight going on here! Better grab me a seat... :popcorn:;):P:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Sounds to me like Giamatti himself probably doesn't fit the A-List star description either, so... ;):laugh::laugh::laugh:

Honestly, most such actors probably don't fit that description, which is probably why he'd actually go eat in an In-N-Out like the rest of us anyway... :P

Conan O'Brien was arguably already bigger than some of them, including Giamatti, even back in the late-90's... and I certainly saw him coming out of a McD's on Canal St (near the edge of Manhattan Chinatown) right around/after closing time (and then hopped right into a waiting limo w/ his lady friend) -- I have no idea if he actually ate anything there though. :P

And I wouldn't doubt even someone like Robert DeNiro or Daniel Day Lewis might eat at such a (comparable) joint either -- they really don't seem too snooty about that, if the food is actually pretty good (and they're not too concerned about whatever related health issues). And no doubt this applies to someone like Keanu Reeves too... given what's often enough been said about him...

A lot of that notion may be more just us common folks projecting that snooty star celebrity image onto most/all of them. And probably quite a few of us have actually met or briefly come across various such celebs and see that's actually often not the case -- well, I know I and my family certainly have in my neck of the woods...

And like the saying goes, they're just people too and put on their pants basically same way(s) you and I do. Sure, there are some who are not, but there are enough to dispel that notion you might be carrying and projecting on the vast majority of them...

_Man_

Carl David

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Carl
I'm enjoying being the young upstart, burger in one hand and squirt gun full of ketchup in the other.

I don't have any evidence other than a whole bunch of famous people claim to love In-N-Out. I'm not out in LA anymore so I can't snap any photos or take any video of me and Tom Cruise eating burgers. I just assume that the reason they like it is it is the burger joint that is nearby.

To be totally honest, I like to have a burger once and a while but I prefer to make them at home with my own choice of ingredients. I guess a lot of famous people could have their home chef make them a burger to their own specifications so they don't have to go out for one.

All I've got is this and I can't confirm he's having an In-N-Out but he is going full animal style!

Lol.

That's both tragic and funny at the same time.

Who knew the Hoff could do some Shakespearean drama?

Carl David

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Carl
LOL! A real gunfight going on here! Better grab me a seat... :popcorn:;):P:laugh::laugh::laugh:

And I wouldn't doubt even someone like Robert DeNiro or Daniel Day Lewis might eat at such a (comparable) joint either -- they really don't seem too snooty about that, if the food is actually pretty good (and they're not too concerned about whatever related health issues). And no doubt this applies to someone like Keanu Reeves too... given what's often enough been said about him...

A lot of that notion may be more just us common folks projecting that snooty star celebrity image onto most/all of them. And probably quite a few of us have actually met or briefly come across various such celebs and see that's actually often not the case -- well, I know I and my family certainly have in my neck of the woods...

_Man_
Oh. You can bet some gunslinger on HTF is now searching the web trying to find pictures of Tom Hanks or Tom Cruise in a grubby burger joint with the plebs.

I guarantee it. Even if it takes 12 hours to find one.

I give it 24 hours max before someone finds something and posts it.

They better come fully loaded because I don't take any prisoners.

But come on man.

Some of the A-Listers are from very wealthy families. A lot of them actually. It's not projection. They really are snobs but are very good at hiding it.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
But come on man.

Some of the A-Listers are from very wealthy families. A lot of them actually. It's not projection. They really are snobs but are very good at hiding it.

Are you particularly wealthy (and in such a circle) or are close friends/family w/ quite a few who are? What makes you think some wealthy people might never be more down to earth than you're clearly assuming/projecting?

There may actually be plenty more wealthy people you come across than you realize -- they just don't all flaunt it is all.

And yes, I'm speaking as someone who do personally know some very wealthy people (even as relatives). And really, someone like Giamatti probably isn't quite that wealthy (in the grand scheme of things) anyway. I probably personally know a few people who are wealthier than he -- a quick google shows his estimated net worth is circa $25M, which is the ballpark I woulda guessed for someone like him.

AFAIK, even the odd billionaire might like eating at an old Tribeca diner just like the rest of us... and I bet that applies to Robert DeNiro too...

Heck, Warren Buffett himself is well known for being thrifty... though no idea if he likes burgers...

_Man_

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Oh. You can bet some gunslinger on HTF is now searching the web trying to find pictures of Tom Hanks or Tom Cruise in a grubby burger joint with the plebs.

I guarantee it. Even if it takes 12 hours to find one.

I give it 24 hours max before someone finds something and posts it.

They better come fully loaded because I don't take any prisoners.

But come on man.

The truth is, when you are going to get a burger, from In-N-Out or wherever, it is better to eat it there. Either, in the back of the limo or in the restaurant, or the table right outside. Things turn mushy and stuff if you have to drive 15 or 20 minutes or more. So, I would guess celebrities, I don't know how to define A-list really, but most of them probably would prefer to eat it there. I know that is my choice if I go out for a burger or most food. Take out sometimes fades by the time you get it home.

I mean just use that video of Hasselhoff as evidence...his burger is take out and man by the time it reached his bedroom or living room floor, wherever he is, it is mush. He can't even get it to his mouth without it falling apart.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I had three separate times that I moved out to California. The first time I did not spend any time trying burger joints. That was in the late 1980s. Second time was in 1991, I remember this because I was there when The Last Boy Scout came out and we went to see that movie a few times. It was on this second stint that one of my friends asked me what my favorite burger place was and I told him I did not have one. So, he took me on a tour of burger places over the next month ending with his top three in order. I am drawing a blank what number three was, number two was In-N-Out and the number one, that he said would blow my mind was Tommy Burger. Yes, for the chili burger. I do recall that it was great, as was In-N-Out but there were many great burgers on his list.

I will say, West Coast burgers beat East Coast burgers by several miles in my experience. We now have a bunch of burger joints on the East Coast, Shake Shack, Five Guys, Mooya, SmashBurger all come to mind. None stand up to Tommy and In-N-Out in my memory. I've not been to Tommy or In-N-Out in 25 years so, no idea how they hold up now.
Nice, I went back about 4 years ago and Tommy's was still standing tall and kicking culinary ass, LOL!!!
East Coast has their Pizzas, Cheese Steaks and Grinders and of course Junior's Cheese cakes!!!

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Nice, I went back about 4 years ago and Tommy's was still standing tall and kicking culinary ass, LOL!!!
East Coast has their Pizzas, Cheese Steaks and Grinders and of course Junior's Cheese cakes!!!

Junior's need to bring back beef tongue to their menu -- IMHO, their best sandwich item... which I'd rather have than most any burger any day of the week! :D I miss that ever since they reopened from the pandemic shutdown (and removed it from their menu)...

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks