What's new

In memoriam: GLENN FORD (1 Viewer)

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
:frowning:

RIP Glenn Ford!

Strange, how many people thought he was already gone. I seem to recall an announcement of his death about 6 years ago. Or was it someone with the same name?

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Anyone remember "The Gazebo" a dark comedy that was more comedy than dark. I thought Ford was terrific in that. He brought nervousness to a new comedic high.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Yes, it was a fine film with some funny moments, particularly the ending scene. It was just on TCM within the last two weeks.

For sentimental reasons in remembrance of my lost childhood, my favorite Glenn Ford movie was "The Courtship of Eddie's Father". I can still remember sitting in the movie theater with my best friend watching that movie and getting a huge boy crush for Shirley Jones. Some of my other favorite Ford films are the following:
  • Mr. Soft Touch
  • Cowboy
  • Gilda
  • The Big Heat
  • 3:10 to Yuma (A remake is about to be filmed)
  • Lust for Gold
  • The Man from the Alamo
  • The Fastest Gun Alive
  • Human Desire
  • Jubal

Thinking off the top of my head there are other films that can easily make that list including "Blackboard Jungle" and "Torpedo Run". He made a lot of good films and I'm lucky enough to have many of them on SD-DVD or have recorded onto a DVD-R. This Sunday, I will pay my personal tribute to Ford by watching six of his films in a row. I'm still up in the air on a couple of them, but "The Courtship of Eddie's Father", "The Big Heat" and "3:10 to Yuma" will definitely be a part of those six films.

Mario Gauci

Senior HTF Member
Just a few weeks ago, I was telling a colleague at work that I thought Glenn Ford was the most underrated among film stars of Hollywood's Golden Age; he begged to differ and named Robert Taylor...:)!

Although if I had expressed a certain reserve on my part towards the inclusion of THE TEAHOUSE OF THE AUGUST MOON (1956) in Warners' upcoming Marlon Brando Signature Collection, now I'm glad that they did since it features one of Glenn Ford's most charming performances. Actually, earlier this year I had watched Ford in Blake Edwards' superb EXPERIMENT IN TERROR (1962) but I couldn't let this sad occasion pass by without paying him tribute in some way which, in my case, was by watching two of Ford's best films (and performances) - BLACKBOARD JUNGLE (1955; DVD) and 3:10 TO YUMA (1957; full-frame PAL VHS:frowning:)...

As it happens, TCM UK will be showing 4 of Ford's films in the near future - RANSOM (1956), THE SHEEPMAN (1958), TORPEDO RUN (1958) and, one which I had never caught before, THE COURTSHIP OF EDDIE'S FATHER (1963). Hopefully, more of his work (which hasn't been shown on TV in ages) will be dusted off before long, especially his comedies: THE GAZEBO (1959), ADVANCE TO THE REAR (1964) and DON'T GO NEAR THE WATER (1957), which I've never watched myself...

It's a pity that, although several good films of his are available to buy on DVD - THE MAN FROM COLORADO (1948), THE BIG HEAT (1953), JUBAL (1955) and THE VIOLENT MEN (1955), to mention just the ones I've watched - only PLUNDER OF THE SUN (1953) is in any way a respectable DVD edition, discounting MIDWAY (1976) and SUPERMAN (1978), of course. Not that I really expected them to be anything more but, at the very least, THE BIG HEAT deserves a Special Edition because, at that ridiculously high price, I'll be damned if I buy it even if I am itching to watch it again...:frowning:!!

bobraleigh

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
bob
i too have always been a fan of glenn ford, one of my favorites of his films

also stars another fave of mine, rod taylor, who i think happily is still with us.

fate is the hunter-also stars suzanne pleshette, wally cox, mark stevens,nancy kwan.

oh. and of course jane russell!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks