What's new

In memoriam: GLENN FORD (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I was thinking of him earlier this year when someone else passed away and thought his time was probably coming soon. He lived a long and productive life. May he R.I.P. He was one of my favorites, especially his westerns.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
"I've never played anyone but myself on screen."

-Glenn Ford-

Another fine example of Old Hollywood, gone.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
A great actor who leaves behind a body of work that he could be proud of. It's wonderful that the Hollywood community took the time to honor him recently while he was still alive. His family failed in their efforts to get an honorary Oscar though.

I do find it somewhat bizarre that the public statement indicates that police did not suspect foul play in the death of a 90 year old man who had been in poor health for a number of years. If this had been a suicide I could understand such a statement, but that certainly doesn't appear to be the case.

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
I was so bummed to hear he passed!
He was for sure, my favorite male actor.
Not the best maybe, but I liked his demeanor.

Too bad that type of leading man, i.e. Ford, Holden, Grant, Peck, has never been replaced....

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Unfortunately, I was under the same impression. Either way, he'll be dearly missed.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Mr. Ford was indeed among the greatest actors ever to appear on screen, and one who was underappreciated IMO. I've always considered him to be in the same league as Gregory Peck, but with a lighter touch. R.I.P Glenn.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Sad news, but I knew he was up there in years and as with Robert I knew he wouldn't be around much longer.

R.I.P. and a toast to a great career, Mr. Ford.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Very sad. My own father passed away in June, and he always described Glenn Ford as his "twin." They did look an awful lot alike. My father was 89; Ford was 90. Whenever I saw a picture of Ford - especially from the Pa Kent publicity shots - I always felt like he was a well-known family figure, like an uncle. I guess I always will.

dany

Supporting Actor
Real Name
D
I sent him a happy birthday last year from his website. Knew he had been sick,sad to hear when great actors pass but thank goodness for film.

Real Name
Sandra
So today we’re saying goodbye to another of the old guard actors, Glenn Ford. He was 90! And I thought he was already gone.

My favorite Richard Rust appeared in an episode of Ford’s TV show, Cade’s County, remember that show?

My favorite appearances of his are in The Loves of Carmen and Gilda, both with Rita Hayworth as Carmen and Gilda, WOW! They were delicious together. Also, Blackboard Jungle and Experiment in Terror. I am a Ross Martin fan, and it was wild to see him playing such a mean guy in that movie. I still love to watch it. Stephanie Powers, my fellow Pole, and Lee Remick were in that movie, too. Then there’s Pocketful of Miracles and The Big Heat which also stars another of my favorites, Lee Marvin, as a terrible guy, and A Stolen Life with Bette Davis.

It’s really weird cos the other day when I was talking about Lee Marvin to someone, one of the pictures I saw was of him with Glenn Ford. It’s on both of their imdb pages, the same picture!

May he rest in peace, and thanks to Mr. Ford for the great entertainment!

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Somebody started a thread the other day about who will be the biggest name during the Oscar tribute next year. I think this answers that question. Along with June Allyson, I think they are the two biggest stars that we lost this year.

I just watched "Plunder of the Sun" about a month ago, and Ford was great in it. I didn't realize that he could be such a bad-ass. I definitely need to see more of his films, since I've only seen about four.

I have had "Blackboard Jungle" on my shelf for close to two years now without watching it, but I think that will be rectified before the end of the week.

RIP

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Everybody can groan, but I loved him as the doctor in the 80s slasher Happy Birthday to Me. One of my regular October favs. But as Superman's earth dad he was terrific!

RIP Mr. Kent. :frowning:

I did too. I thought Peck was already gone as well before his death was announced.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
I've read that as a western actor he had one of the fastest draws in Hollywood.

This reminds me that I need to get more of his movies on dvd. I was just watching Gilda last week.

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
With Mr. Ford's unfortunate passing those of us who appreciated his demeanor and ease on the screen will have another film on dvd I have watched on laserdisc a number of times - Teahouse Of the August Moon, which will be part of the Marlon Brando set later this year. Some other good Westerns with him: Lust For Gold, Jubal and The Violent Men.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks