IMAX Space DVDs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by EdR, Feb 15, 2003.

1. EdR

EdR Second Unit

I was just watching an IMAX DVD "Hail Columbia!" about the Space Shuttle Columbia, very sad to watch now that it's gone. The DVD is part of a set of IMAX DVDs called the "Space Collection" which I own.

What I'd like to find is some IMAX DVDs with more (or entirely) scenes of Earth shot from space. The movies in the Space Collection don't have very much of this footage, but what's there is absolutely breathtaking. Anyone know of such a DVD?

2. Bill J

Bill J Producer

I think the only space IMAX DVD not included in the collection is "Cosmic Voyage," but I don't recall it including many shots of the Earth (I could be wrong though).

If you are interested in space exploration documentaries in general, I strongly recommend For All Mankind from the Criterion Collection. The documentary footage is far more subtle than the IMAX DVDs.

3. AaronJB

AaronJB Second Unit

"Space Station" is an excellent IMAX feature currently playing in some large-format theaters.

4. Gary_Morris

Gary_Morris Auditioning

While not in IMAX format Earthlight is almost entirely composed of footage of Earth shot from space. Some of the views are really spectacular.

5. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

6. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

I second the Earthlight recommendation. Should be doubly impressive on a great-big TV screen. [​IMG]

There's also the Planet Earth series from www.dvdinternational.com.

For those who might like an even more detailed look at an actual Columbia Shuttle mission, I recommend the STS-109 Columbia mission DVD, available from www.spacecraftfilms.com. It covers Columbia's next-to-last flight.

I also love the IMAX Hail Columbia! disc. It's only 36 minutes in length, but worthy of multiple viewings.

[​IMG]

7. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

Check out SPACE STATION in IMAX 3-D if you can. It's really amazing; one of the best 3-D IMAX flicks yet.