What's new

IMAX Space DVDs? (1 Viewer)

EdR

Second Unit
I was just watching an IMAX DVD "Hail Columbia!" about the Space Shuttle Columbia, very sad to watch now that it's gone. The DVD is part of a set of IMAX DVDs called the "Space Collection" which I own.

What I'd like to find is some IMAX DVDs with more (or entirely) scenes of Earth shot from space. The movies in the Space Collection don't have very much of this footage, but what's there is absolutely breathtaking. Anyone know of such a DVD?

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
I think the only space IMAX DVD not included in the collection is "Cosmic Voyage," but I don't recall it including many shots of the Earth (I could be wrong though).

If you are interested in space exploration documentaries in general, I strongly recommend For All Mankind from the Criterion Collection. The documentary footage is far more subtle than the IMAX DVDs.

AaronJB

Second Unit
"Space Station" is an excellent IMAX feature currently playing in some large-format theaters.

Gary_Morris

Auditioning
While not in IMAX format Earthlight is almost entirely composed of footage of Earth shot from space. Some of the views are really spectacular.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
I second the Earthlight recommendation. Should be doubly impressive on a great-big TV screen. :)

There's also the Planet Earth series from www.dvdinternational.com.

For those who might like an even more detailed look at an actual Columbia Shuttle mission, I recommend the STS-109 Columbia mission DVD, available from www.spacecraftfilms.com. It covers Columbia's next-to-last flight.

I also love the IMAX Hail Columbia! disc. It's only 36 minutes in length, but worthy of multiple viewings.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks