What's new

I’m not sure I understand how to set db? (1 Viewer)

Chris M34

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chrisht
If say a right speaker is set to 4.0db and the left is set to -4.0db what does that really mean and what’s the difference. Is it volume level?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Is one closer to the viewer than the other one?

Yes, it is the relative volume of each speaker. According to those numbers, the left speaker must be closer than the right.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
If say a right speaker is set to 4.0db and the left is set to -4.0db what does that really mean and what’s the difference. Is it volume level?

You should probably use them receiver's calibration algorithm (w/ mic) to set all such (and then maybe tweak a little for some specific needs like stronger dialog via the center channel).

At minimum, you can also use the receiver's provided test tone (perhaps plus a basic sound level meter app) to help w/ manual setup/tweaking (though your own ears might prefer some diff settings).

Don't just change those settings w/out any reference though.

As John indicated, if the speakers are basically equidistant to the main viewing/listening position (and equally unobstructed, etc) and identical (and the receiver is in "like new", optimal condition), they shouldn't vary much, if at all for such settings.

_Man_

Chris M34

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chrisht
Is one closer to the viewer than the other one?

Yes, it is the relative volume of each speaker. According to those numbers, the left speaker must be closer than the right.
Thank you I just wasn’t quite sure exactly what they meant. I was just using the 4.0 as an example. I will auto calibrate again and see how it comes out. I believe last time I did it my subwoofer was —db. I don’t think that would be the case

Chris M34

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chrisht
You should probably use them receiver's calibration algorithm (w/ mic) to set all such (and then maybe tweak a little for some specific needs like stronger dialog via the center channel).

At minimum, you can also use the receiver's provided test tone (perhaps plus a basic sound level meter app) to help w/ manual setup/tweaking (though your own ears might prefer some diff settings).

Don't just change those settings w/out any reference though.

As John indicated, if the speakers are basically equidistant to the main viewing/listening position (and equally unobstructed, etc) and identical (and the receiver is in "like new", optimal condition), they shouldn't vary much, if at all for such settings.

_Man_
I’m going to auto calibrate again and see how I like it

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Thank you I just wasn’t quite sure exactly what they meant. I was just using the 4.0 as an example. I will auto calibrate again and see how it comes out. I believe last time I did it my subwoofer was —db. I don’t think that would be the case

Subwoofer is trickier and much more likely to differ (quite) significantly... unless you set its own variable level to match.

IF you just set the subwoofer's own level to roughly midpoint, that should be a good start for the receiver's calibration software.

_Man_

Chris M34

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chrisht
Thank you both. John always has great feedback. I posted a question earlier today about optimal input use with my TV and AVR is love if you guys have it a look

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks