What's new

Same receiver different speakers. one set has lower volume. (1 Viewer)

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
I wasn't sure if I should post this in Receiver's or speaker's sections. Heres whats bugging me

I have a Denon AVR-2106 in my livingroom using Fluance SX-HTB's
I have a Denon AVR-2106 in my bedroom using the SVS-SBS-01's

I have calibrated both using the setup mic the Denon's came with. However, in my livingroom I dont have to turn the volume up as much to get the same level of volume. meaning in my livingroom for a moderate loudness my receiver is set to about -28db and in my bedroom I have to crank it to -16 or above. I have suspicions as to why this would happen, I just want confirmation of my assumptions. First off I dont think anything is wrong with my equipment or the calibration's (even though the calibration is not 100% accurate, I understand this) but here goes my list of reasons why I think it may be doing this.
  1. Ported vs enclosed speakers
  2. Rated watts
  3. Room size/shape
  4. Component quality of the speakers
  5. Different components in the receiver
  6. Bad calibration
Anyone else have anything to add, confirm or change? Also, how can I fix this so that they are roughly in the same range of db? I'm assuming boosting each speakers output equally could get me this effect but would it also mess up my calibration?

Keep in mind, Ive never set up reference level's in either setup

SHS

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
scott
Speakers are rated for output...the SVS as below but I did not see the Fluance rated on their site, you might have the info with the speakers.

SBS-01 = Sensitivity or Efficiency 85dB (@ 1 Watt / 1 Meter)

This controls how much output per watt will be noticed.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
First i'll comment on your theories as to the differences...

1.) If calibrated properly and integrated properly w/ a subwoofer this should cause no difference in levels.

2.) Also should not make a difference in playback level... this is simply how much power the speaker can handle (and usually complete marketing BS).

3.) This one actually can play a big role and is probably acting in part with the main culprit.

4.) While there is a noticable quality difference in the two (w/ the SVS being much better speakers) it's not the reason for the differences.

5.) I highly doubt there would be any testable difference in two copies of the same receiver, atleast none that would cause what you're hearing assuming both are functioning properly.

6.) Possible, but i'll give you the benefit of the doubt and below is why.

The real culprit is in all likelyhood speaker sensitivity. The fluance mains are rated at 89db/w/m... meaning at 1w power and 1m distance they'll play at 89db. The SVS SBS-01s are rated at 85db/w/m... 4db lower at the same power and distance.

Now to truly understand this you'll need to understand the db system... it measures loudness on a logrithmic scale... ever 3db increase is perceived as TWICE the volume... i.e. the Fluance speakers will be more than twice as loud as the SVS speakers at the same power and distance.

Now keep in mind the volume knob indicator (you mentioned -16db and -28db) are rarely if ever directly tied to actual db measurments... hence the difference in response even though your system is properly calibrated.

On a side note... which system do you do your primary listening? If it's your bedroom I'd keep things as-is... if it's the living-room then I'd bring the SVS speakers out there because they'll likely sound much better than the Fluance set (though the Fluances are great for the money).

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
really its 50/50% I use my livingroom for mostly gaming, music and some movies and tv. my wife and I use the bedroom for our more important shows like Hero's, Lost, etc. and some movies. Its usually for our downtime when the kids are in bed and were dead tired. The problem with putting the svs's in the livingroom is my space limitations in the bedroom, the Fluance's are floorstanding, I just dont have the floor real estate available, not to mention they dont stand very tall, and wouldnt stand above the height of the bed. I figured eventually, Id replace the livingroom set with a more advanced speaker set. I was actually holding out to see what the mid-range SVS system will be like.

Perhaps it could be the calibration. Im gonna have to do it with a SPL meter and see how accurate the Denon was. I think I understand what your saying about the rating on the speakers. but also isnt a ported speaker in general sopposed to be louder? like subwoofers? thats why I figured that may play a part also.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Being ported is likely part of the reason the Fluance is more sensitive (89db/w/m vs. 85db/w/m) but driver selection and crossover design play major parts in this as well. The easiest way to accurately understand and explain the difference is going to be the difference in speaker sensitivity.

If the levels are properly balanced then I doubt there is much to gain and possibly some to lose by calibrating manual... there's going to be more room for error. If you want to compare the output levels on the same material from room to room you can do so but there's nothing really to gain other than knowing.

MaxL

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Max Levine
i think stephen is spot on with this one. it's about the sensitivity. the other stuff is mostly irrelevant.

calibration shouldn't have anything to do with it. it is completely normal that 2 different speakers will be driven to different spl's given the same signal. i understand the curiousity inspired by this difference, but there is no problem that needs to be fixed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks