What's new

I'm in dire need of help! (1 Viewer)

Evd.

Auditioning
Real Name
Baruch
I'm a huge noob to this whole Home Theatre thing so when I bought my first speakers, one of those HTIB deals, I think a payed for crap that doesn't even meet my needs. Thing is, I can't return it now. Please help me figure out my options.

What I want to do is hook up two DVD players, a VCR, an Xbox 360, and an HD Cable box to a television all at once and have the sound from each of these devices make use of the 5.1 setup. I assume I need a receiver, correct? Well, the HTIB I bought doesn't come with one.

My HTIB: Prima 1-Disc Ultra Slim Tower Home Theatre System

As you can see, it comes with 5.1 speakers and a DVD player. The speakers connect to the DVD player and subwoofer.

I'll post pictures to give you a better idea with what I'm dealing with.

Subwoofer:

The "speaker output" wires go straight in to the speakers themselves. The "audio input" wires on the top there go in to the DVD player.

DVD player:

Those "audio input" wires from the subwoofer go directly in to the "audio out" over in the left there.

My question:

Can I get rid of that DVD player, buy a receiver, and connect the speaker to that receiver?

JoseLH

Agent
yes you can use those speakers on another receier. You will need a different powered sub though. That one seems to be speaker level. HTIB are ok for people that ONLY watch DVD's on the screens. If you have anything else like the 360, iPods, CD players etc., you have no where to hook them up to. You need a stand alone AV receiver that will accomodate your gear.

Evd.

Auditioning
Real Name
Baruch
Thanks.

Would this be an appropriate receiver (Yamaha HTR5920S):

I can see a place for my DVD player, cable, television, and the VCR. I need one place for a second [region free] DVD player. What's V-AUX? I also don't understand the speakers section, what kind of wires plug in there?

Sorry for being so difficuly, I'm really this dumb.
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
That receiver has only one digital coax and one optical input, for audio. You have four devices that use digital output (X box does, right?), but you'd have only two inputs. That receiver can't take everything you want to hookup, at one time.

You're gonna get into the $300+ range, for a receiver with enough inputs. Look at the Sony STR-DG600 Black. It has enough. And the Onkyo TX-SR504. The Denon AVR-1507 has two cox and two optical. Here's the site with these receivers:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Nkbgppd...TviSii*5TviSni

Do some looking around online, and see what you can find with enough inputs, for the money, you want to spend.
Good luck!

Evd.

Auditioning
Real Name
Baruch
The STR-DG600 looks good.

About the sub, will this work? It's more in my price range.

So with that receiver and sub my speakers should work even though it came in one of those HTIB dealies, right?

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
I'm not familiar with your sub, but the info on it says it's 150w sub, so it should work. As far as your speakers, can't say for sure. If they're 100w speakers, with the twin lead wires to hookup with, they should work too. But if you hook them up, and they are blown, when you power up, we'll feel sorry for you.
If I were you, I'd either go in debt for good speakers, or start saving for some............immediately. Your speakers should be 3/4 to 2/3 the cost, of your whole system. They are where you get your sound................
Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks